ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 09:08 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Battery choice

Okay guys, I would like you to chime in one way or the other. As I have said on other threads on this forum recently that I am about to put a new battery in my 2013 ES. In one of those threads I said I had toyed with the idea of an AGM but couldn't really justify the cost... so my decision was to go with another Interstate MTP-24F... that battery has 800 CCA's and 1000 CA's. well above the oem spec of 585 CA's. The warranty on the interstate is 30 months free replacement and pro-rated after that thru 72 months. The cost for the MTP-24F will run me about $130 to $150 or so plus tax... but then last night I stumble on an AGM battery that normally runs right at 200 bucks for $137.00 plus tax. It's made by Bosch and on sale at PepBoys. Unlike the interstates 30 month free replacement, the bosch agm is 48 month free replacement. True the specs on the Bosch aren't at high as the interstate, but they are still way above the specs that are on the oem panasonic battery.

$195.99

$137.19
With Promotion

Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 24F

• Part #: 24F710BAGM
  • SKU: 838890
  • fitment notes
  • ltd. 48 month free replace
  • 48 month battery
  • 710cca/850ca - reserve min = 120 - 60 ah - s6 high performance agm - oe cca: 585
  • 710cca/850ca - reserve min = 120 agm - oe cca: 585

• This part fits your 2013 LEXUS ES 350
    • Advanced, high-performance Bosch Platinum Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology, designed to deliver up to 2X the life of conventional flooded batteries.
    • State-of-the-art Bosch Platinum AGM delivers exceptional performance under even the most extreme hot and cold conditions.

• Save 30% with Promo Code MMJ30
So on paper it looks like a no brainer.. 4 years vs. 30 months for a better warranty... but I don't know a darn thing about Bosch batteries. reliable? Junk? what do you guys think...

Roland
Old 12-29-17, 06:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

OK, Here's what the pros are saying: These are the 5 top rated in order of performance year of 2016.

1. Optima red top - 2. Optima Yellow top - 3. AC Delco Professional AGM - 4. Exide Edge professional sealed -5. Bosch Flat Plate Platinum AGM battery.

All considerably more expensive than a conventional battery and IMO absolutely not needed. Your cars were provided with a conventional battery from the manufacturer and IMO should be replaced with one. Other than the gateway fiasco where batteries were discharging, there were virtually NO issues with factory installed batteries from Toyota.
If I lived in the Yukon without a garage I'd consider these batteries. In the lower 48 they're just not necessary. Last night it was 10F here in PA and right now its 12F. All 3 cars started as normal... Mine is 5+ years old...Son's is 5+ years old so go figure...

BTW - The Bosch is $50.00 more than an Interstate from Costco even with a discount coupon so you're paying for the extra 18 months warranty......

Last edited by bc6152; 12-29-17 at 06:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (12-29-17)
Old 12-29-17, 05:09 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Hello bc6152... thatnks for the reply - we don't have a costco store where I live and the Interstate Battery MTP-24F ( Not an agm ) sells for around $130 to $145 or so... So it is actually almost the exact same price as the Bosch AGM, which does provide an extra 18 months of free replacement warranty for essentially the same cost as the interstate wet cell. That's why I was asking what everyone's preference would be.. Interstate wet cell & Bosch agm = same price. Interstate has a little more juice, 800 CCA'S & 1000 CA'S compared to Bosch's 710 CCA & 850 CA's. so in a nutshell, yes you're right, it is an extra 18 months warranty but not for an additional 50 bucks, essentially the same price. However since putting up this threat I read somewhere that AGM batterys could develope problems if in extreme heat... well here I am in Louisiana, doesn't get much hotter than here, plus add in the additional heat from the engine compartment... so there's that to consider also. I'll do alittle more reading over the weekend and see what I come up with. In the meantime if any of you guys want to chime in, I'd love to hear what you think.

Roland
Old 12-29-17, 05:21 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Hmmm. I guess I tend to think that Costco warehouses are all over and just about everywhere. Looks like I'm wrong about that. Too bad...

Good Luck with whatever you decide Roland.

Bob C.
Old 12-29-17, 05:35 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used Bosch batteries before: both flooded kind and AGM. But I used them in BMW 3 series. Each lasted 8 years or so. You will be fine with Bosch. I have not used Bosch in ES. I used Interstate from Costco last month when the OEM battery in ES died after 3 years.
Poppa (12-29-17)
Old 12-29-17, 07:11 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
Hmmm. I guess I tend to think that Costco warehouses are all over and just about everywhere. Looks like I'm wrong about that. Too bad...

Good Luck with whatever you decide Roland.

Bob C.

Bob.. you weren't wrong, you just didn't know.. I looked at the Costco Web Site and I think the closest one to me is around 170 miles west near Dallas... Please know I always appreciate your input and help when I post questions. I was a gear head long ago, but that was back when they still used carbureto's.... and when I could still crawl under a car.. LOL.. My problem is I overthink everything.. like the batteries.. I've got an interstate mtp-24f in my 4 runner right now... going on 3 or 4 years and no issues.. and that's probably what I'll put in the ES.. but when I saw that Bosch agm for the same money with a longer warranty, well I was the perverbial kid in a candy shop.. more more more... problem is I just don't know all the in's and out's of AGM's... Like I said, I read heat was bad for AGM's.. Hello Louisiana.. pretty warm here... also read AGM's are sensitive to over charging or charging too fast on the cars charging system.. stuff we never worried about 35 years ago.. The internet is not always a good thing... let's people like me find out waaaaay to much info..

Roland
Old 12-29-17, 07:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Bob.. you weren't wrong, you just didn't know.. I looked at the Costco Web Site and I think the closest one to me is around 170 miles west near Dallas... Please know I always appreciate your input and help when I post questions. I was a gear head long ago, but that was back when they still used carbureto's.... and when I could still crawl under a car.. LOL.. My problem is I overthink everything.. like the batteries.. I've got an interstate mtp-24f in my 4 runner right now... going on 3 or 4 years and no issues.. and that's probably what I'll put in the ES.. but when I saw that Bosch agm for the same money with a longer warranty, well I was the perverbial kid in a candy shop.. more more more... problem is I just don't know all the in's and out's of AGM's... Like I said, I read heat was bad for AGM's.. Hello Louisiana.. pretty warm here... also read AGM's are sensitive to over charging or charging too fast on the cars charging system.. stuff we never worried about 35 years ago.. The internet is not always a good thing... let's people like me find out waaaaay to much info..

Roland
The southeastern version of "Costco" is Sams Club which is part of Walmart. Check their battery prices. Since you very seldom get cold weather, the cold cranking amps should not be a big factor.
Poppa (12-30-17)
Old 12-29-17, 08:11 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

is your battery bad or are you replacing it as preventative maintenance?
oem battery warranty is 6 years with prorated coverage after 4 years
Poppa (12-30-17)
Old 12-30-17, 12:10 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The southeastern version of "Costco" is Sams Club which is part of Walmart. Check their battery prices. Since you very seldom get cold weather, the cold cranking amps should not be a big factor.
Oldcajun... thank you. We actually have a couple of "sams clubs" near me. I"ll check them out. appreciate the information.

Roland
Old 12-30-17, 12:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by heidihidin
is your battery bad or are you replacing it as preventative maintenance?
oem battery warranty is 6 years with prorated coverage after 4 years
Thanks for the info: I did not know that the oem batterys were warrantied for 6 years. I was planning to swap it out in January which will be 4 years after I bought it. Car was manufactured in June of 13 so the battery is closer to 4 1/2 years old..

Roland
Old 12-30-17, 03:59 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2013 ES350 is four years old this month and the original Panasonic battery shows no signs of weakness, we have been in the teens at night and 20s during the day this past week.

​​​​​​You just missed $25 off Sam's AGM batteries, ended 12/25. I use Sam's AGMs in my boat and another vehicle.
Old 12-30-17, 01:11 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

The primary differences between the AGM and lead acid batteries is the ability to mount an AGM in any position and it's reserve and recharge capabilities. AGM batteries will take a deeper discharge and still be able to be recharged. They are good if you run your lights or stereos while the car is not running.
The one issue you need to watch is that not all cars have the ability to completely recharge an AGM battery. I ran one in my 4Runner as I had a lot of extra sound equipment, lighting, and a fridge and went on extended camping trips. The alternator never could completely recharge the battery when I ran it down, so I would throw it on a trickle charger every 6 weeks or so. That was the Odyssey AGM battery which is probably a better battery that any of the ones on the list above. But they are also nearly $300.
If I were replacing my battery I would get the Bosch as my fridge runs down the stock battery extremely quickly, and the AGM has the extra reserve capacity.
Otherwise I would hit Walmart or Sam's Club and pick up an Everstart battery with a 5 year warranty for under $100. (since there is no Costco near you)
Poppa (12-30-17)
Old 12-30-17, 01:45 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, Ratchey is correct. When I used Bosch AGM in BMW, I had to program into the ECU so that alternator will charge is correctly. It was easy to do using my laptop and bmw tool I have that plugs into the obd2 port. The same tool works on ES as well and I could see everything ECU was storing. The normal obd2 port reader is not sufficient and only provides emission related codes with no programming capability. However, I used the flooded battery in my ES recently, not the AGM.
Poppa (12-30-17)
Old 12-30-17, 11:22 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanZ
Yes, Ratchey is correct. When I used Bosch AGM in BMW, I had to program into the ECU so that alternator will charge is correctly. It was easy to do using my laptop and bmw tool I have that plugs into the obd2 port. The same tool works on ES as well and I could see everything ECU was storing. The normal obd2 port reader is not sufficient and only provides emission related codes with no programming capability. However, I used the flooded battery in my ES recently, not the AGM.
DanZ / Ratchey... thank you guys for the info.. I was really close to buying the Boschc AGM and then I read a few articles that talked about what you referenced.. the ability for the car's charging system to recharge an agm correctly. I have no idea how to program the ecu and to be honest, don't want to know. The ONLY reason I was thinking of the bosch agm was because the price was almost identical to a normal wet cell battery. and now, having time to re-think things, I don't run accessories on my car with the engine off so I really think an agm is probably overkill... plus my car has been running great on the wet cell panasonic that came in the car 4 1/2 years ago..... so now here's a question for you.. Now that I am sure I'm going to go with a conventional battery I have narrowed my choices to two. ( yes I know earlier I had said only 1 - but can't an old man change his mind ) One is the interstate mtp-24F. I have one in my 4 runner and it's been great. 800 CCa's, 1000 CA's. free replacement for the first 30 months, prorated after that. My second choice is an east penn battery.. Deka 724fmf. This battery has a little less juice: 725 CCA's and 890 CA's.. 2 year replacement. Even though the amps are down a little from the Interstate, it's still alot more than the oem battery has.. I discovered Deka's a few years back when I was looking for a good starting battery for my boat. Actually have a friend who used to work at East Penn and he told me that Deka's are some of the best made batterys in the country. Now I don't know anything about battery construction but he was talking about the thickness of the plates etc. all that went over my head.. I've got a Deka dealer about 45 minutes from here - he doesn't stock that particular model but he's going to look into getting one and the price.. Providing it's not much more than the interstate, which way would you go? oh, and again thank both of you gentleman for the info in your previous posts.

Roland
Old 12-31-17, 06:20 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Roland: I think you've narrowed it down to two very good choices. It's my opinion that you can't go wrong with either brand - Deka or Interstate. It just comes down to who has the best deal and longest warranty for your hard earned money. Good Luck with whatever you decide and since its 12-31-2017 I wish you a great 2018 full of health and happiness.

BC

Quick Reply: Battery choice