ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I would not want those panels to be taken apart unless it was absolutely necessary because, when you start removing and re-installing interior panels, there is the risk of introducing squeaks and rattles in the process, and, with that many panels needing to be removed and re-installed, the risk gets multiplied.
Agree 100%
Old 02-23-18, 09:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Its a Lexus. It should be treated like one, with a handcrafted interior. Why getto it out with fake crap?
Old 02-24-18, 12:27 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Dude it's his money, let him spend it as he wants. I'd rather have a wrapped vinyl interior panel than a scratched-up one like what I have, no thanks to the soft clearcoat that Lexus uses.

I've seen BMWs with fake carbon wrap interiors and wrapped pink Porsches, I think that's over the top but that's my personal opinion. It's a Lexus - so what?
Old 02-24-18, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Dude it's his money, let him spend it as he wants. I'd rather have a wrapped vinyl interior panel than a scratched-up one like what I have, no thanks to the soft clearcoat that Lexus uses.

I've seen BMWs with fake carbon wrap interiors and wrapped pink Porsches, I think that's over the top but that's my personal opinion. It's a Lexus - so what?
He asked for our opinions...which is why we gave him our opinions:

1) Paint on Trim Panels $1250
Vinyl wrap $850

He won't do the steering wheel because he says it wouldn't last due to sunlight and daily use.

2) Wrap: $700-$1200+

3) 4.5- 5.5 hours to wrap ($445.50 - $544.50) plus material ($45)

What does everyone think?
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
jgscott (02-24-18), xBROKER (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 05:30 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Who's stopping him from spending as he wants? He asked. Let people answer what he asked the way they want. He asked, he got answers, he's still free to do want he wants.

Dude its my answer, let me answer like I want. I'd rather take care of my interior, than have a scratched up one. They are not made of bullet proof material. They also do not self scratch themselves. Someone has to scratch them.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-24-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I get the frustration with unrequested opinions, but in this case he did actually request them lol
Old 02-25-18, 09:51 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Even stranger was the Guy who asked the question didn't have a problem with the responses. It was someone else who did?

I personally would have appreciate the answers aside from my own stubbornness sometimes. It help me consider all the pro and cons, to see if I really want to do something with info I may not have known or considered.
Old 02-25-18, 06:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Serves me right for getting my knickers in a bunch

Anyway, he did ask for the pros and cons of doing up the interior, so the technically-focused replies are warranted. I'm a bit irritated by the "Why, it's a Lexus!" and "Think of the resale value!" responses though. Being a former modder myself, I prefer to keep my mouth shut if I don't like someone's modding - not my car and not my money, after all. If someone feels happy driving a wrapped and slammed ES with quad exhaust tips, who am I to question the source of that joy?

Anyway again, the pictures I posted are vinyl appliques that are stuck on top of interior panels. They don't require disassembly and if you don't like them later on, just peel them off. Lexus made a royal mess of the ES interior materials by having such fragile trim bits and soft-touch plastic. I've gotten the door pocket scratched just by putting a phone in there, the passenger seat dash trim gets scratched by leather handbags rubbing on it, you'd better not have buttons on your coat if you don't want to scratch the shifter panel... Lexus should've given a semiconductor bunny suit for the driver to wear!
Old 02-25-18, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Un-bunch those knickers!
Old 02-25-18, 07:40 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Un-bunch those knickers!
Seriously Steve, how does your LS compare to your old ES in terms of material wear and tear? I've owned or driven older Lexus and Toyota models and the ES has the most fragile interior I've seen.
Old 02-25-18, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Seriously Steve, how does your LS compare to your old ES in terms of material wear and tear? I've owned or driven older Lexus and Toyota models and the ES has the most fragile interior I've seen.
The materials in the LS are way better quality and they resist that sort of marring you’re describing better.

I know now exactly what you’re taking about...my 03 ES was fine in that regard but that’s one of the reasons I got parchment in the 2010 ES, to hide that.
Old 02-25-18, 08:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Lexus made a royal mess of the ES interior materials by having such fragile trim bits and soft-touch plastic. I've gotten the door pocket scratched just by putting a phone in there, the passenger seat dash trim gets scratched by leather handbags rubbing on it, you'd better not have buttons on your coat if you don't want to scratch the shifter panel... Lexus should've given a semiconductor bunny suit for the driver to wear!
I recall a Lexus press release when the Generation 6 ES was first announced. In that press release, Lexus was touting the ES as being more environmentally friendly because of the use of more "natural" materials in its build. On the ES, the dash, door panels, etc. are actually made from recycled plant material. The downside of the use of the recycled plant material is that it did seem to be more susceptible to scratching, marring, etc.

That said, through the years of the Generation 6 ES run, Lexus may have found a way to improve that re-cycled plant material because the dash and other surfaces in my 2017 ES seem to be much less prone to scratching and marring than were those surfaces in the 2013 ES that I previously owned. Besides the fact that those surfaces are more rugged, another hint that there is something different about the material used in the 2017 is that it even has a different feel to the touch from the material used in the 2013.

Also, the wood surface on the 2016+ ES center console (with the Luxury or UL package) is much less delicate than was the piano black surface used on the center console for the 2013-2015 ES.
Old 02-25-18, 09:36 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, the front seatbacks are made of a soft-touch rubberized material that's insanely easy to scratch. I wonder why they didn't use Nuluxe for the seat backs. If you have kids on child seats back there, they're bound to kick and scuff that material.

Looks like the OP should wrap the whole darn interior...
Old 02-25-18, 10:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Serves me right for getting my knickers in a bunch

Anyway, he did ask for the pros and cons of doing up the interior, so the technically-focused replies are warranted. I'm a bit irritated by the "Why, it's a Lexus!" and "Think of the resale value!" responses though. Being a former modder myself, I prefer to keep my mouth shut if I don't like someone's modding - not my car and not my money, after all. If someone feels happy driving a wrapped and slammed ES with quad exhaust tips, who am I to question the source of that joy?

Anyway again, the pictures I posted are vinyl appliques that are stuck on top of interior panels. They don't require disassembly and if you don't like them later on, just peel them off. Lexus made a royal mess of the ES interior materials by having such fragile trim bits and soft-touch plastic. I've gotten the door pocket scratched just by putting a phone in there, the passenger seat dash trim gets scratched by leather handbags rubbing on it, you'd better not have buttons on your coat if you don't want to scratch the shifter panel... Lexus should've given a semiconductor bunny suit for the driver to wear!
Sorry you were irritated by it's a Lexus. I treat my car like one. As sone as I noticed ware, I stopped all the excess brushing of Women's purses. Kids with back packs (both often zippers) and other unnecessary items that should not be brushing and scrapped on my Lexus car interior. Purses in back seat or floor please don't scrape the interior. My g/f understands. My kids. Stuff in trunk. Phones ok. Anything else that they will brush and marr with in trunk.

BTW my Lincoln gets the same marring and abuse if I rub hard items all over the Interior brushed aluminum, wood, leather, and Black panels. I just stopped it. No car seat does leather seat any good. I always use a towel under them the same color as the leather seat.

Now my #1 complain.
The door close like hollow metal. Unmeaningly they can be slammed like crazy. I've even done it myself. But you also got to look out for that person that gets in, leans out, grabs the handle and pulls with 500 ft lbs of Torque and all the body weight, to close it. Sounds like a Tin can sometimes.

What color is your interior?
Old 02-25-18, 11:03 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has dark gray Nuluxe (awesome stuff) with gray trim and piano black inserts all over (not so good). It looked classy when new, now it looks a bit beat up under bright sunlight.

I wish I could stuff all passengers in the trunk so I wouldn't have to worry about trim damage. The weird thing is that Nuluxe is almost bombproof, I've seen no damage or even signs of wear on all the seats. All it takes is a damp microfiber cloth to clean it and make it look like new again.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.