ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 05:41 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Mine has dark gray Nuluxe (awesome stuff) with gray trim and piano black inserts all over (not so good). It looked classy when new, now it looks a bit beat up under bright sunlight.

That is a major reason why some of us have suggested to the OP that changing the wood trim on his new ES to piano black may not be a good choice. The piano black is very difficult to maintain in "like new" condition because the high gloss finish will, in good light, show even very minor surface scratches, and, especially with the piano black on the center console, it is very difficult to avoid those scratches.

I'm not sure how well a high gloss wrap would hold up on the console, but I'm confident in saying that, if those console pieces are refinished with piano black, maintaining the "like new" condition will be a challenge.
Old 02-26-18, 12:29 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
When I made my previous post, my thought was that, if the trim pieces were re-finished, it likely would decrease the re-sale/trade-in value of the car, but, if they were wrapped, at least, the wrap should be able to be removed (at some additional cost).

Another downside of either refinishing or wrapping all of the wood trim pieces that comes to mind is that, to either re-finish or wrap those pieces, it would be required to disassemble all 4 door panels, the dash, and the center console. If it was my car, I would not want those panels to be taken apart unless it was absolutely necessary because, when you start removing and re-installing interior panels, there is the risk of introducing squeaks and rattles in the process, and, with that many panels needing to be removed and re-installed, the risk gets multiplied.
This person quoted below, from another thread swapped interiors with his GS and ES. It didn't seem that he had to disassemble the door panel.

That's why I thought the trims could be removed by themselves.

Originally Posted by tcr101
I didn't paint anything. I swapped it from my other GS which had the "black wood" option (looks more like a marble type texture).

Your install times will differ, but as previously mentioned, to do your door switch, you have to remove the entire door skin. This probably will take me 20-30 minutes per door (uninstall, remove, re-install). The steering wheel was ~ 30 minutes, but I've swapped other steering wheels before. The center console is maybe 10 minutes at most.
Old 02-26-18, 12:30 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
IMHO this would detract from the vehicle's value at trade in time since most ES buyers actually like the nice wood trim. Personally, for me it would make me cross the car off my list if I were shopping.
That's why painting was the first option I was considering, since it would keep the look/feel of the wood trim. It would just be a different color.
Old 02-26-18, 12:31 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Totally agree. Not sure why people obsess over changing everything in the car. Why buy it if you don't like it that much? I think those pics of changes to the Chinese Interior look terrible.
Which picture exactly? Can you please clarify?

Also, for the illuminated door sills, I didn't realize I could have gotten that from the factory, until after my order was placed.

That's why I thought I would get them installed after the fact.

They haven't started building my car yet, but I figure it's too late to add something like this. I don't think I could get the price that's listed on Lexus's accessories page, without some kind of additional markup to the deal that's already in place.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/accessories

If you think I'm incorrect, and that I should be able to get the price listed here, then maybe I can still ask.
Old 02-26-18, 12:38 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

The materials in the LS are way better quality and they resist that sort of marring you’re describing better.

I know now exactly what you’re taking about...my 03 ES was fine in that regard but that’s one of the reasons I got parchment in the 2010 ES, to hide that.
Parchment vs. what else? What were the other options?
Old 02-26-18, 12:52 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by chromedome
Mine has dark gray Nuluxe (awesome stuff) with gray trim and piano black inserts all over (not so good). It looked classy when new, now it looks a bit beat up under bright sunlight.

I wish I could stuff all passengers in the trunk so I wouldn't have to worry about trim damage. The weird thing is that Nuluxe is almost bombproof, I've seen no damage or even signs of wear on all the seats. All it takes is a damp microfiber cloth to clean it and make it look like new again.
My 2013 had NuLuxe. I agree it's easy to clean and maintain.

Also, I didn't do any modifications of any kind to my 2013. And my interior still looks good. No scratches or anything.

With this new 2018, this was is the first time I was considering something, which I initially thought could be simple but nice.

Also, an update. A second shop has said that wrapping the steering wheel might be difficult for it to maintain longterm.

If I can't have the trims look uniform in color, then there's no point.

I wish there was a way I could have the same type of acrylic finish that the OEM trims have, but in piano black.

Some of you are probably right about the scratching. But since I've taken good care of my cars so far, maybe I can make it work. I think this is the type of thing where if I don't try this time, I won't be able to try next time. As next time, I'll probably have to keep everything OEM.

I was also asking what people think of those prices in #103. @chromedome, since you've had yours wrapped before, what do you think?

And what do you think about the warning that 2 shops have given me about the steering wheel?

People also brought up good points, about the door panels possibly being removed. I will have to ask what installation steps are necessary. If they have to remove the door panels, not sure I want to do that then.

Hopefully they don't have to remove the door panels for the illuminated door sills, hopefully they can do it while the door is open.
Old 02-26-18, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I guarantee they will have to remove the door panels to remove the trim. The illuminated sill plates they have to remove the sill plates obviously and the lower part of the B pillar, and the lower part of the dash.
Old 02-26-18, 03:38 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I guarantee they will have to remove the door panels to remove the trim. The illuminated sill plates they have to remove the sill plates obviously and the lower part of the B pillar, and the lower part of the dash.
Thanks.

Re-reading the post again from the other thread, for the person that swapped trims between a GS and ES, I guess that's what he meant by "door skin". I guess he meant he removed the door panel, when he said "door skin". And I guess that's why it took 30 minutes per door.

I didn't understand that until now.

Originally Posted by tcr101
I didn't paint anything. I swapped it from my other GS which had the "black wood" option (looks more like a marble type texture).

Your install times will differ, but as previously mentioned, to do your door switch, you have to remove the entire door skin. This probably will take me 20-30 minutes per door (uninstall, remove, re-install). The steering wheel was ~ 30 minutes, but I've swapped other steering wheels before. The center console is maybe 10 minutes at most.

Last edited by nuraman00; 02-26-18 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 03:43 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Why are so many shops declining painting, and suggesting wrapping?

Painting seems like it would be less invasive, if they could do it without removing the trim.

And I'd hope they could use the same caliber finish that the OEM trims had, with the acrylic paint and whatever else they need.
Old 02-26-18, 03:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Also, back to the status of my car.

When I checked with the sales manager on Friday, he said that at the beginning of March, Lexus would determine which cars to build for the next 2.5 weeks. If my car was on the list, then great. I'd finally have a VIN.

If not, then we'd have to wait another 2.5 weeks.

He said they used to have 1 month build cycles, but have shortened them to build less cars in a smaller span.
Old 02-26-18, 08:46 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry mate, my car isn't wrapped. Those pix are from Tmall, a big Amazon-like site in China. The prices listed are 700-1500 RMB or $100-250 for vinyl appliques, it would cost a lot more if those trim panels were removed before wrapping. I wouldn't suggest painting because of the cost and it being irreversible - if you don't like the paint job, there's nothing you can do.

As for the steering wheel, vinyl wraps usually don't stand up to rough handling. All that sweat and dirt from your hands will end up discoloring and damaging the wrap. I'm happy enough with my all-black leather wheel but that's available only on base spec models.
Old 02-26-18, 10:03 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I don't mind the paint being irreversible. I would want to see samples in-person though to make sure I would be satisfied with the color.

And I'd want to make sure that they could do the job without something invasive like removing door panels.

That's why in my emails to these shops, I'm linking pictures to both that other thread where the guy painted his trim; as well as the Lexus base model black interior. I was asking them to match either of the colors.

But as I said, most declined the job or suggest wrapping. Which I'm now going away from (can't do steering wheel due to rough handling; invasive removal of door panels).
Old 02-27-18, 05:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Thanks.

Re-reading the post again from the other thread, for the person that swapped trims between a GS and ES, ...
Um, nobody swapped trims between an ES and a GS.
Old 02-27-18, 08:10 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
When I made my previous post, my thought was that, if the trim pieces were re-finished, it likely would decrease the re-sale/trade-in value of the car, but, if they were wrapped, at least, the wrap should be able to be removed (at some additional cost).

Another downside of either refinishing or wrapping all of the wood trim pieces that comes to mind is that, to either re-finish or wrap those pieces, it would be required to disassemble all 4 door panels, the dash, and the center console. If it was my car, I would not want those panels to be taken apart unless it was absolutely necessary because, when you start removing and re-installing interior panels, there is the risk of introducing squeaks and rattles in the process, and, with that many panels needing to be removed and re-installed, the risk gets multiplied.
Agree 100%
When I woke up this morning, I realized I had more questions from the posts the last few days.

Just so I understand correctly.

Does removing the door panels mean mean removing the doors?

Or only removing the trim portion on the inside of the door?

Regardless, you're saying that even if it's just the trim portion, you're saying that when putting it back in, that it might not fit nicely anymore?

I guess when I saw the thread for the person that swapped trims between his GS and ES, he made it sound easy.

From that thread:

Old 02-27-18, 08:12 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Um, nobody swapped trims between an ES and a GS.
I just re-linked to them in my latest post above.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.