ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2018 ES excessive cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 06:56 PM
bobbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 ES excessive cabin noise

Recently, I purchased a new 2018 ES. I noticed that there is, at least in my opinion, very excessive cabin noise attributed to the tires. Using an Android app called sound meter I am recording levels as high as 87 DB at freeway speeds and 82 DB when doing neighborhood speeds 35 or so miles an hour. After having owned four previous ES s and one Hyundai Genesis I feel that this is very very excessive noise. This is certainly not Lexus quiet.
Does anybody have any information on what sound levels in the es should be?​​​​​​ ( the website that lists hundreds of DB ratings for various makes and models of cars does not include my car)
Has anybody else noticed this excessive noise?
If so what have you done to combat the excessive noise?Thanks for your help
Old 01-08-18, 08:46 PM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's lot. sound level in industrial environment <85dB.
what type of tires and pressure ?
Old 01-09-18, 12:52 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If the road noise is wildly excessive - to the point of making conversation difficult on the highway - then I think you should test drive another new ES to make sure your particular car does not have a mechanical or body sealing defect of some kind.

If the other ES is substantially quieter then it either has quieter tread tires or your car has a mechanical or body sealing defect.
Old 01-09-18, 05:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

First, the sound meter app is a toy. I wouldn't use it as a reference. However, your ears are a much better tool. I will go out on a limb and guess your ES came with Bridgestones. If so, about your only cure is replacement. It made a world of difference on my ES. If not the Bridgestones, then check your tire pressure.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-18, 10:02 AM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine is very quiet. But I have Michelin tires. Since you still have excessive noise at 35 mph, I think your tires are not balanced.
Old 01-09-18, 03:28 PM
Dragon38
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed a noisy cabin as well in our new to us 2015 ES300h. On baby butt-smooth roads it's fine, but driving over some rougher city roads and interstates the noise picks up...noisier than my 2014 Ford Expedition which is basically a truck.

Tires are Michelin Primacy and they've got about 29,000 miles on them. The left and right fronts are both 7/32, the rears are both 6/32. Dealer sent us out the door with 36 psi (recommended for cold weather driving, they said).
Old 01-09-18, 03:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon38
I've noticed a noisy cabin as well in our new to us 2015 ES300h. On baby butt-smooth roads it's fine, but driving over some rougher city roads and interstates the noise picks up...noisier than my 2014 Ford Expedition which is basically a truck.

Tires are Michelin Primacy and they've got about 29,000 miles on them. The left and right fronts are both 7/32, the rears are both 6/32. Dealer sent us out the door with 36 psi (recommended for cold weather driving, they said).
Having the tire pressure at 36 psi (cold) is awfully high. The Lexus recommended pressure is 33 psi, and that is up from a recommended pressure as low as 29 psi on previous generations of the ES. Many ES owners are even using 31 or 32 psi just to have a more comfortable ride. I suspect that, if you lower the pressure to 33 pounds, you will have a ride that is noticeably quieter and less harsh.
Old 01-09-18, 03:49 PM
Dragon38
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, lesz. I was just going with what the shop said when I questioned it. I'll take your advice and lower the pressure to 33 psi. We're new to the Lexus family, but in all my driving experience I've never run a higher tire pressure just because it was winter (colder). We're near Seattle, so it doesn't usually get below mid-30s. Folks from Minnesota call that shirt-sleeve weather.
Old 01-09-18, 03:59 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a website that lists interior sound levels for numerous cars at different speeds with the year of vehicle. It does not show which tires are on the vehicle. I`m thinking there aren't too many with bridgestones. Lexus looks very good in most models depending on the year.
Auto Decibel Database
Old 01-09-18, 09:10 PM
bobbert
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the replies. I have Michelin MXM4 18 inch tires at about 33 PSI. The car only had 4 miles on it when I picked it up and now I've got about 700. With respect to the suggestion of balancing, I am not experiencing any vibration. Admittedly I don't know much about cars, so if someone should explain how balancing would decrease road noise I would certainly appreciate it
Old 01-09-18, 11:15 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Unbalanced tires will create thumping or humming noise but it will be accompanied by a vibration, which you are not feeling. My tires are 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but I believe Mxm4 are also good tires. Are you seeing feathering or cupping on the tires? If not, my guess is that the noise source is from somewhere else. It could be loose belt or pulley or defective wheel bearing. While 700 miles appear to be too little for it to be a tire issue, but a curb or pothole hit can bend the rims and cause noise too. Here are some easy things to check yourself:
1. Check for feathering or cupping, especially on sidewalls
2. Check for alignment by letting go of steering wheel in an empty parking lot and see if the car travels straight.
3. Open the hood with engine running and car parked. Hear the belt and pulley for any high pitch sound. Look at the belt and verify that there is no wobbling.
Of course, you can always take to the dealer but identifying few things beforehand might point the mechanic in right direction.
Old 01-10-18, 12:04 PM
Dragon38
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Having the tire pressure at 36 psi (cold) is awfully high. The Lexus recommended pressure is 33 psi, and that is up from a recommended pressure as low as 29 psi on previous generations of the ES. Many ES owners are even using 31 or 32 psi just to have a more comfortable ride. I suspect that, if you lower the pressure to 33 pounds, you will have a ride that is noticeably quieter and less harsh.
OK...more info...I based the earlier 36 psi reading on what the CPO inspection sheet said the shop performed. This morning using a cheap gauge my cold reading was 33 psi X 4. As I drove the TPMS readout showed 35 psi X 4. I'm going to use a more accurate gauge when the tires cool down. I think I mentioned these MIchelin Primacy tires are going on 29,000 miles with 7/32" front and 6/32" rear.

That said, it looks like the tires are actually at the recommended pressure and my original statement holds that the cabin is noisy beyond what I'd think a $55,000 (new) car should be.
Old 01-10-18, 12:53 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Take a piece of painters tape and place it across the top of the windshield and roof. Drive and see if that lowers the noise. Then do again with each side of the windshield. Sometimes those seals are not installed correctly. You can do the same with each door one at a time to see if you can isolate the area the noise is from.
Also try stuffing a comforter into the trunk against the back wall. Do each of these things one at a time.
Old 01-10-18, 10:10 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon38
the cabin is noisy beyond what I'd think a $55,000 (new) car should be.
True on dirt, concrete, old broken asphalt or coarse road surfaces because Lexus doesn't use heavy noise barrier type insulation (e.g. mass loaded vinyl, rubber coated cotton shoddy padding or asphalt impregnated cotton padding under the carpets, on top of the rear wheel housings and virtually no noise absorbing insulation inside the doors. But on newer smooth blacktop asphalt roads the cabin of new ES350's is near whisper quiet at low to moderate speeds.
Old 01-12-18, 03:44 PM
Dragon38
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gemigniani
True on dirt, concrete, old broken asphalt or coarse road surfaces because Lexus doesn't use heavy noise barrier type insulation (e.g. mass loaded vinyl, rubber coated cotton shoddy padding or asphalt impregnated cotton padding under the carpets, on top of the rear wheel housings and virtually no noise absorbing insulation inside the doors. But on newer smooth blacktop asphalt roads the cabin of new ES350's is near whisper quiet at low to moderate speeds.
Yeah...even our 29,000 mile 2015 300h is nice and quiet on smooth roads. But driving over well-worn concrete/asphalt roads...very annoying. Application of sound dampening material is not a job for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Dragon38; 01-12-18 at 03:51 PM.