ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Panel repair advice. Scrapped lower part of panel. Need advice as to repair.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 06:49 PM
MDW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Panel repair advice. Scrapped lower part of panel. Need advice as to repair.

Old 02-03-18, 07:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

A proper repair of the damage will require refinishing the bumper. Doing that requires removing the bumper from the car, repainting the bumper, and reinstalling the bumper.

It is hard for me to know for sure, from the pictures, what color the car is, but, if it is a one of the metallic silver colors or, worse, one of the multi-stage pearl colors, getting a proper paint match could be difficult. Since the damaged area is at the very bottom of the bumper, where a slight paint mismatch would be more difficult to notice, I would talk to the paint shop about the possibility of trying to spot in new color only on and near the damaged area and, then, clear coating the entire bumper.

The above is based on assuming that none of the scrapes have actually torn through the bumper, which I can't tell with certainty from the pictures. I'm also assuming that the impact from what caused the damage did not push the bumper back far enough to damage the bumper clips or anything else.

The above is based on assuming that none of the scrapes have actually deeply gouged or torn through the bumper material, which I can't tell with certainty from the pictures. I'm also assuming that the impact from what caused the damage did not push the bumper back far enough to damage the bumper clips or anything else.

Last edited by lesz; 02-03-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 07:54 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks to me like the inner fender in that area might have been knocked out of its usual place also. The bumper might have dislodged the inner fender and then returned to its rightful place leaving the inner fender dislodged. If that's true you might be able to put it back where it belongs. My local dealership has a sort of a super detailer contractor who visits there one day a week and makes their used cars look passably decent. I've gotten advice from him about a problem I had. I've seen where he has masked an area near a bumper. So he fixes bumper blemishes, wheel blemishes, etc. Some of the plastic material he can even put heat on and remold it.
Old 02-04-18, 08:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

What they will do is repair and color coat that immediate area, and then blend it into the rest of the bumper, and then clear coat the whole bumper. Like lez said this will reduce the likelihood of a paint match issue (car looks like its Atomic Silver). You'll never know when its all done.

Cost? $600-$1000.
Old 02-04-18, 10:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What they will do is repair and color coat that immediate area, and then blend it into the rest of the bumper, and then clear coat the whole bumper. Like lez said this will reduce the likelihood of a paint match issue (car looks like its Atomic Silver). You'll never know when its all done.

Cost? $600-$1000.
That price range estimate is likely quite accurate. Whether it is closer to the bottom of the range or top of the range will depend on what shop rates are in the OP's area and whether there might be any additional less than obvious damage to things like the bumper clips, fender liner, etc.

I recently had a (rear) bumper refinished after I got a little too aggressive with trying to polish out a minor scratch, and I ended up burning through the clear coat. The cost of the job was around $550, but I'm in an area with low shop rates, no repairs were needed on the actual bumper material, and the obsidian color is, by far, the easiest color for which to get a perfect match.

Originally Posted by JRandy
My local dealership has a sort of a super detailer contractor who visits there one day a week and makes their used cars look passably decent.
The words "passably decent" are important here. The guys who go from dealership to dealership and do bumper repairs can, for a much lower cost, do a repair that is "passably decent" and that will come with a much lower cost than the $600 to $1000 range that SW15LS has suggested, but, while the repaired area might not be immediately obvious, it won't be perfect. If you want the repair to be perfect and to result in the bumper looking like it did when the car came out of the factory, a more expensive repair done as Steve and I each described will be necessary.
Old 02-04-18, 11:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Years ago, when I didn't have two nickels to rub together, I did go the cheap route and saved a lot of money on a body repair. Only thing is it stood out like a bleeding elephant in a phone booth. Learned a valuable lesson: you get what you pay for. A repair that takes 20 minutes and is painted with Rustoleum and costs $50.00 won't be the same as a professional body man repair. GOOD LUCK with the repair job...
Old 02-04-18, 12:15 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

I had similar damage to what was then my nearly new 2014 Silver Lining Metallic (looks like your color) on the low bumper (which seemingly looks to mate with every curb and wheel stop). My body guy also said to repair it properly he would have to remove the bumper skin - not a cheap job. He suggested to instead sand the area and repaint on the car since 1) the area is not very noticeable, and 2) with these low bumpers it will happen again. I agreed and he did a great job for about $150. And since then I have an additional, but more minor scrapes since I have learned not to pull all the way into parking spaces with curbs or wheel stops.
Old 02-09-18, 11:32 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran over something that scratched the paint. I touched it up with a paint pen. its ok from 10 feet.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

I'll probably end up getting it resprayed eventually. when I have a few more dings... for now its acceptable for me.

that link has rattle cans, brushes and pens, as well as .5 oz to quarts.