Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wax your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 02:46 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott

Seems a lot of test over the years that the Turtle Wax can paste in one of the hardest finishes out there. Everyone has there own special brew, but that's what works for me. Been working for years.

Always heard and believed that Paste wax was better than liquids,
I can't argue with you about turtle wax products.. My son uses Turtle Wax Ice on his vehicles and he loves it.

Roland
Old 02-14-18, 02:11 PM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use Meguire’s Ultimate Liquid Wax, usually about 3-4 times a year.

Years ago waxing used to be a huge PITA with the old-school style natural waxes. Those were super annoying to remove and if you want to both do a good job and not have it take forever you needed to use a random orbital waxer to get the stuff off (I always apply the wax “manually”).

However, synthetic waxes have really come a long way and a good wax job can now be done without too much of an effort (and without a waxer).

Last edited by CarToys; 02-14-18 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 04:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I can't argue with you about turtle wax products.. My son uses Turtle Wax Ice on his vehicles and he loves it.

Roland
Im thinking that the Ice is the next one ill use, when I get around to it again. I also used the Mothers Synthetic Wax over the Turtle Wax, but I read I should have put the synthetic wax on 1st. Oh well at Least it has some wax on it for a little bit.

One day I may get around to one of the new wave space age Ceramic waxes.
Old 02-14-18, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I would suggest that people move on from products you can buy in auto parts stores. With a few exceptions there are way better products out there. Much easier to use, better results, etc.
Old 02-14-18, 09:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Like what? At a reasonable cost?

But IMO if you do wax your car every 4-5 months a good quality auto store wax will do just fine, for the average person.
Old 02-14-18, 10:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Che4ck out www.autogeek.net. I've suggested a couple products earlier on in the thread.

Its not that it "won't do", it will, hell doing nothing will be fine, its just more labor and a lower quality product than you could use air similar cost.

A product I even forgot to mention earlier in the thread is CarPro Hydro2, you literally wash the car, rinse it, spray it on, rinse it hard with a water spray and it flashes and seals the paint surface. Has to be seen to be believed.

Like I said, I haven't applied "wax" or "sealant" to a car in years.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 08:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts
Smile

Like what? At a reasonable cost?

But IMO if you do wax your car every 4-5 months a good quality auto store wax will do just fine, for the average person.
+1 - Meguiar's or Mother's will do fine...
jgscott (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 08:28 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I used to be more into "detailing" a car and constantly waxing it, but I've been happy with Mequiars products. Also, I've used NuFinish and think its a great product. Just applies really easy and seems to hold up well. Also inexpensive and available everywhere.

You can really go down a rabbit hole with car wax products, it's worse than people arguing over motor oil. I'm not going to spend big bucks and time on car wax, but that's just me.
jgscott (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t disagree with you nowadays. I spent a lot more time on it in the past, less so now. Try some of these new higher quality spray products though, the point is they take way less time, and only cost a little more.

Technology has come a long way.
Old 02-15-18, 06:53 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Like I said before everyone has their own special favorite brew. Especially if you gotta do it yourself. And there are also the variable of exposure, wash type, climate and current paint condition you are working on.

Many Older Japanese cars could go 300k plus miles with the old non synthetic oils and cheap older filters. Altho there are far better oils today.
Old 02-15-18, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a lot of point in participating in a topic of discussion if you’re not willing to be open minded about different ways of doing things.

If we’re just going to say “well each of us has our own thing we do and like, why bother discussing it” why are any of us even here?
Old 02-15-18, 09:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Opinions, preference, needs. There is difference in the World.

FYI the Thead title asked if one "waxed" their car. No one is knocking your methods. Why knock others?
Old 02-15-18, 10:25 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not a lot of point in participating in a topic of discussion if you’re not willing to be open minded about different ways of doing things.

If we’re just going to say “well each of us has our own thing we do and like, why bother discussing it” why are any of us even here?
X22 My exact thoughts......but there will always be people who remind me of our old plow horse on the farm with blinders.

Last edited by Tetguy; 02-15-18 at 10:30 PM. Reason: missing word (but)
SW17LS (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 11:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Opinions, preference, needs. There is difference in the World.

FYI the Thead title asked if one "waxed" their car. No one is knocking your methods. Why knock others?
I'm not knocking anyone, I'm just offering my viewpoint and experience. I said very clearly there is nothing wrong with using store available products, in fact I also said there is nothing wrong with using nothing. I simply said that higher quality products are better, protect better, and are easier and more enjoyable to use and I believe that 100%. By your own admission you have never used any products other than what you find in a car parts store, I've used both those products and better quality products that you can only purchase online, and I've offered a respectful and fair assessment of the differences. That viewpoint will be of interest to those who are open to trying better products.

Here is a quote of exactly what I said. Where did I come anywhere near knocking anybody?

Check out www.autogeek.net. I've suggested a couple products earlier on in the thread.

Its not that it "won't do", it will, hell doing nothing will be fine, its just more labor and a lower quality product than you could use at similar cost.
You've posted your viewpoint snd I've posted mine, why try and limit the discussion is my point. If its no longer of interest to you, then move on.

When the OP asked who "waxed" his car, seeing that he thought wax contained metallic abrasives I think we can broaden the definition of what "waxing" is lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-16-18 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 01:18 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always used Meguiars products with good results. But then again I haven't owned a real "garage queen" type of car that I take out only if the planetary alignments are all in spec and if there is a 0% chance of rain.

I try to keep my cars looking nice, but I have only a carport to protect them. Still I do detail my cars, and I do take pride even in my old daily beater 2004 Tacoma with 187,000 miles, that silver paint still sparkles like new in the sunlight, yet it does have a lot of chips in the front hood. Love that Toyota quality paint, as it belonged to my dad previously and sat out in the sun in a parking lot about 5-6 hours until a shadow covered it, for about 12 years. I know a lot of cars paint would just bake off in the sunlight.
jgscott (02-16-18)

Quick Reply: Do you wax your car?