ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Attn: All keyless alarms are being hacked

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18 | 11:41 AM
victorylap
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Attn: All keyless alarms are being hacked

Attention Lexus owners: Your current OEM alarm can be hacked in less than 60 seconds by gadgets bought over the internet. I learned the hard way when my ES 2016 was disarmed and valuable stolen from my vehicle and I never heard the alarm. Two other later model European cars were broken into again with no alarms triggered.
I am looking for an aftermarket alarm add-on integrated interface with the OEM factory alarm. Go to You Tube and look up auto theft prevention and you can see footage of vehicles being hacked and stolen. This is a very bad security issue. Lexus Corporate has no clue, so they said, about such hacks! Hope this wake up call can save you the pain I had to endure.
Old 03-17-18 | 11:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by victorylap
Attention Lexus owners: Your current OEM alarm can be hacked in less than 60 seconds by gadgets bought over the internet. I learned the hard way when my ES 2016 was disarmed and valuable stolen from my vehicle and I never heard the alarm. Two other later model European cars were broken into again with no alarms triggered.
I am looking for an aftermarket alarm add-on integrated interface with the OEM factory alarm. Go to You Tube and look up auto theft prevention and you can see footage of vehicles being hacked and stolen. This is a very bad security issue. Lexus Corporate has no clue, so they said, about such hacks! Hope this wake up call can save you the pain I had to endure.
They can open my car because I don't keep anything valuable inside. Nothing in the trunk either. Just invites theft. Most they'll get is a plastic ice scraper and a pair of sunglasses...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
Kijug (07-09-24), SoulDivine (07-22-24)
Old 03-18-18 | 03:56 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Houses, cars and businesses can all be broken into, regardless of alarm system.

I have always presumed that anything in the trunk was always at risk.
Old 03-18-18 | 08:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

So, how did they get in? As other's have said, don't leave valuables in the car. It's not a safe.
Old 03-18-18 | 04:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

This has been issue on all car makers with keyless ignitions for a few years now. They all try to get ahead of it but these criminals are relentless, so like others have said, best not to leave any valuables in the car.

Maybe consider getting a discreet dash cam? Usually these thieves are quick and take whatever is easy but might miss your little dash cam that records even when the car is switched off. They have ones that seem to disguise as sensors when mounted on the windshield.
Old 03-18-18 | 05:18 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

I heard about this before. Crooks can now use electronics to steal the signal from the fob-even while it’s in your house-and then use it to open your doors. Crazy.
Old 03-18-18 | 06:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
I heard about this before. Crooks can now use electronics to steal the signal from the fob-even while it’s in your house-and then use it to open your doors. Crazy.
Not actually true on modern vehicles.
Old 03-18-18 | 06:29 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not actually true on modern vehicles.
Actually, it is true. There's a video online out of the U.K. showing two thieves stealing a Benz. One stands at the front door to a home with a scanner that picks up the signal from a smartkey (like the one we have with our Lexus cars). He relays this signal to an accomplice standing next to the Benz with a laptop that opens the doors. Shortly thereafter they both get in the Benz and drive away... Here's the video...

Old 03-19-18 | 05:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...keyless-entry/
Old 03-19-18 | 05:49 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

If its on the internet it must be true.
I dont even trust stories from TV news anymore.
Old 03-19-18 | 07:58 AM
Tetguy
Driver

From what I have been able to ascertain so far is that these code grabbers can only function if you locked your vehicle using the fob. Locking your vehicle with the lock button inside on the door handle will not activate a signal between the vehicle and the fob. Therefore the signal cannot be hacked and or copied even if the one of the hackers is near the keyfob. eg. store, driveway.
AND don`t leave stuff in plain view inside the car.
There are rumors that many of the Oem`s are now using rolling code similar to garage door openers to prevent hacking. I was not able to confirm this from a reliable source. This would be the ideal solution .....I think.
Old 03-19-18 | 03:14 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tetguy
From what I have been able to ascertain so far is that these code grabbers can only function if you locked your vehicle using the fob. Locking your vehicle with the lock button inside on the door handle will not activate a signal between the vehicle and the fob. Therefore the signal cannot be hacked and or copied even if the one of the hackers is near the keyfob. eg. store, driveway.
AND don`t leave stuff in plain view inside the car.
There are rumors that many of the Oem`s are now using rolling code similar to garage door openers to prevent hacking. I was not able to confirm this from a reliable source. This would be the ideal solution .....I think.
are you an auditor?
Old 07-08-24 | 09:41 AM
UCes350
8th Gear

My 2017 ES350 was stolen a few days ago from our driveway, no alarm sound as they broke through sunroof. Recovered that morning with help of apple air tags. Nothing valuable in the car, but stuff scattered from glove box/center console and trunk (clothes). Wife noticed her new sunglasses gone (they were presscription, not sure if any use by them, but did cost around $500 without our vision insurance). We have them on video and sent to local police. They were in and out in 5 minutes. Now have keys in a tin can in the house, and will use that disable mode on OM page 110.
Old 07-08-24 | 01:49 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Hmm, if it was a repeater hack - why did the thiefs have to go in through the sunroof?
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24 | 02:00 PM
UCes350
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Hmm, if it was a repeater hack - why did the thiefs have to go in through the sunroof?
Not sure if it was a repeater hack. They went straight for the sunroof, broke it and took some time to clear the glass so that one of them could get in. The fat one outside wouldn't fit, the other guy on the hood was skinnier, but he struggled to get in (these guys are fed too good). There were 3, the other guy was in their car and had doors opened to get away. They did have an electronic device, noticed the light from the screen outside and then inside the lexus (they didn't have that antenna looking thing). The guy on hood did check our windows constantly and didn't care for the video cameras. He did take some time also in the car once he got through the sunroof. When we recovered the car at the tow yard, my fobs did work so hopefully they didn't mess up something further. It's in the shop now, $4K damage as they scratched the front bumper and side mirrors (and the sunroof, piece is larger than the opening as part of the black top). Again don't know how they did it or what they used.

Quick Reply: Attn: All keyless alarms are being hacked