ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New (to me) 2016 ES 350 - oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 10:20 AM
pmezo33
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Oil is still subject to contamination. No matter what.

Yes I have changed the MKS fluid once already. And I am about to change the ES350 Fluid in spite of Lexus claims of lifetime.

How do you feel about the ES vs The MKS?
Difference between the lifetime lexus trans fluid and the lifetime ford/lincoln PTU fluid is the ford/lincoln PTU's drop like flies. Long history of those breaking early and often. They're just terribly designed and really prone to breaking. Don't believe that's the case with the lexus transmissions. The lincoln PTU only holds about 18 oz's of gear oil and overheats very easily. But you're right, all fluids do break down and become contaminated over time.

Big difference between the two cars as i'm sure you already know. AWD twin turbo vs FWD naturally aspirated. I find the lincoln gave me a lot of little issues. Biggest issue i had with the mks was the transmission rebuilt once because the torque converter died on me at about 90k. Always something small i had to fix with the MKS, but i liked it. A little bit of a headache, but i was happy with it. My lexus is a certified pre-owned, so i really don't have to pay for much for the next 4 years. I typically do most of the work myself, but it's nice to know i don't even have to pay for parts anymore when something does go wrong. I do about 40k miles of driving a year, so the ES will be put to the test. Just looking it over, seems like a fairly easy car to work on and should be reliable. They're two completely different kind of cars, but I'm really liking the ES so far. Feels like i'm driving on a cloud.
The following users liked this post:
Trademan82 (05-25-21)
Old 04-09-18, 07:07 PM
danj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic --- I have a 2015 Honda Accord on which I am "testing" out Honda's oil change minder--the computer calculates the oil life and I get it changed when at 15% remaining life. At 135k right now no issues. Big pic have had oil changed about every 11k miles or so. I don't see any oil burning in exhaust, so I really believe Honda's recommendation is working out well. We will have this car through 200k to 250k ballpark, so that will really tell me how well the manufacturer knows his stuff!! I plan to do the same with our new to us 2016 ES 350--will do what Lexus directs. Great set of posts by the way!!!
Old 03-28-21, 06:10 PM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by danj
Slightly off topic --- I have a 2015 Honda Accord on which I am "testing" out Honda's oil change minder--the computer calculates the oil life and I get it changed when at 15% remaining life. At 135k right now no issues. Big pic have had oil changed about every 11k miles or so. I don't see any oil burning in exhaust, so I really believe Honda's recommendation is working out well. We will have this car through 200k to 250k ballpark, so that will really tell me how well the manufacturer knows his stuff!! I plan to do the same with our new to us 2016 ES 350--will do what Lexus directs. Great set of posts by the way!!!
Think you'll be just fine going with Honda's maintenance minder. Have a 2014 myself and due to mostly highway miles, average around 9k miles before oil changes (pre-pandemic). At almost ~147k miles on the odometer and still going strong, although it consumes about a quart every oil change for quite some time now. No biggie, just add a half quart at 5k miles and move on (though it's incredulous that Hondas consume oil).

Originally Posted by bc6152
+1 - Wasteful IMO to change before 10k...
or 12 months... with thinner oils to meet EPA MPG goals, this 10k interval seem to be pushing the limits as far as change intervals go. Even thinner oils 0W-16 are spec'd for new Toyotas & Hondas these days - we shall see how these hold up over the long term.

Last edited by lji; 03-28-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-25-21, 02:52 PM
Trademan82
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmezo33
Do you do the changes yourself? Only way to tell for sure is by sending in a used oil analysis. Send a 10k sample into blackstone and you'll take the guessing out of it. They'll tell you exactly what shape your engine is in and how the oil held up over 10k miles. 7500 miles may not be better if you're just throwing away perfectly good oil.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Excellent advice! I used Blackstone years ago and sort of forgot about them.....I'm going that route when my '17 ES350 is due for its next oil change. It will give me peace of mind, as 10,000 miles is the longest interval of any car I've owned.....
Old 05-25-21, 08:30 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

🤦🏼‍♂️ We drive $50,000 cars, (OK, some of us bought them used) and we’re debating saving $25-50-100? Or a 1/4 or 1/3 of that by going from 6000 or 7500 miles instead of 10,000 before changing and spending a few extra $$. Reminds me of the ‘60s, people would scrimp when changing the oil, but not the filter.....Never mind 2 years ago when this thread started, the debate continues...
Old 05-26-21, 05:21 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

I change the oil on all of my vehicles every 5k. I have 5 vehicles. Never have to wonder about when to change oil. If the odometer is on the 5k or 10k mileage mark I change it. (35k, 40k, 45k etc.)

I use the best oil and filters. Also change transmission fluid every 20 - 30k. Differential every 30 - 50 depending on use (truck, car etc.)

These fluids directly relate to the life span of your vehicle. I keep mine 15 plus years.

To each their own. Folks who do not change fluids regularly (not necessarily on this forum) keep my friends in business

I also do not bother with Blackstone labs. Great company and great service, I just would rather change my oil and know that it is new.

Easy for me since I do all of my own maintenance.
Doublebase (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 09:11 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Yep this is a big change of Members here for sure for the time I have been here. Don't want to do anything and condemn those that do, and brag about saving pennies on their Lexus? lol! God would I hate to get a Pre Owned car they had. You can get Premium Oil at Walmart for $19 bucks and a Filter for $8. But yet buy a Brand new car and drive 3k - 5k per year and lose $10k's in value on it per year. Go figure?

The Master Tech's who see these cars everyday and work on them would laugh.
Doublebase (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 04:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

The ES has a 2GRFE Toyota 3.5 V6, its a great engine, but I wouldn’t subject it to 10,000 mile intervals, especially the direct injected version of it (which I think came out in 2017?). I’d stick to 5,000 mile interval myself, but I’m sure you’d be ok with 7,500 intervals...but I wouldn’t go over 5,000 miles on the direct injected version.

This guy is pretty good...he’s an ASE mater tech with over 20 years experience.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jistaiAAkvm6h4
Trademan82 (05-28-21)
Old 05-26-21, 06:59 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The ES has a 2GRFE Toyota 3.5 V6, its a great engine, but I wouldn’t subject it to 10,000 mile intervals, especially the direct injected version of it (which I think came out in 2017?). I’d stick to 5,000 mile interval myself, but I’m sure you’d be ok with 7,500 intervals...but I wouldn’t go over 5,000 miles on the direct injected version.

Direct Injection in the ES started with the 7th gen in 2019. 10k intervals, or 12 months (whichever comes first) has been proven to be just fine. That guy in the link makes money off of doing maintenance. It's like asking your salesman if you need an extended warranty.

Follow the manufacture's recommendations and forget about it. Don't try to outsmart the engineers that designed it.
Old 05-26-21, 09:05 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...e-problem.html
Old 05-27-21, 01:35 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Doublebase, thank you posting a link to the toyota car care nut. I appreciate it. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Doublebase (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 02:02 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Direct Injection in the ES started with the 7th gen in 2019. 10k intervals, or 12 months (whichever comes first) has been proven to be just fine. That guy in the link makes money off of doing maintenance. It's like asking your salesman if you need an extended warranty.

Follow the manufacture's recommendations and forget about it. Don't try to outsmart the engineers that designed it.
I think it really depends on what the goal of the customer is (how long they plan to keep the car) and the goal of the manufacturer (Toyota needing to meet CAFE regulations and being the largest car manufacturer in world that needs to reduce their carbon footprint).

There’s a lot more that goes into a “maintenance schedule” than what’s best for the vehicle...warranty companies set the maintenance schedule and a lot of factors determine what that will be...the country origin, regulations, advertising, incentives.

And I know people think that techs want to perform oil changes “to make money”, but it’s the least profitable procedure they can do. And truthfully most dealers just hire hourly lube techs - you almost never will see a ASE Master Certified Tech like the guy in that video dumping oil.
Old 05-27-21, 03:04 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

I think it really depends on what the goal of the customer is (how long they plan to keep the car) and the goal of the manufacturer (Toyota needing to meet CAFE regulations and being the largest car manufacturer in world that needs to reduce their carbon footprint).

There’s a lot more that goes into a “maintenance schedule” than what’s best for the vehicle...warranty companies set the maintenance schedule and a lot of factors determine what that will be...the country origin, regulations, advertising, incentives.

And I know people think that techs want to perform oil changes “to make money”, but it’s the least profitable procedure they can do. And truthfully most dealers just hire hourly lube techs - you almost never will see a ASE Master Certified Tech like the guy in that video dumping oil.
Exactly on point. A couple of my friends are Master Tech's. It is the new kid who puts your drain plug back in with an impact that changes the oil. Kidding of course, but most new hires start on the lube rack. It is the starting job and there is no money in it. And that is who you are trusting your 50k car with.
Doublebase (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 06:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

It's all about getting you in the door. Then, they "inspect" your vehicle and hand you a list of things they claim you need to have done. Someone on here had them say his rear differential fluid needed replacement on his ES.
Old 05-27-21, 06:57 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Regarding oil changes I always use a brand-name full synthetic 5w-20 (usually Mobil 1) and a brand-name oil filter. I change the oil myself either at 10k miles or 1 year whichever comes first. Being retired I usually don't drive the 10k on any one vehicle (I have 2 other cars) and am comfortable doing the yearly changes. That being said, i respect others habits in how they handle this and I guess you can never be too sorry changing it at lesser intervals.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 2016 ES 350 - oil change intervals