ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 10:44 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work

So...I just found out that Lexus of Chandler (AZ) started charging $20 for ANY loaner with ANY warranty work.

WTF??!?!?!?!?!

Anyone else seeing this at any other dealers????

This does NOT make sense.
Old 04-09-18, 10:57 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Woah. Not cool
Old 04-10-18, 04:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

My understanding is that replacement windshields in Arizona is a big business. Not sure why, but this charge is probably only local with this dealer. Here in the east we don't go through a lot of windshields. In any case, hope they don't start this policy here...
Old 04-10-18, 06:28 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I personally haven't experienced this but wouldn't have a problem with it - the dealer should not have to pay for my gas and windshield replacement can get to be costly.
Old 04-10-18, 08:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Even if the $20 charge is warranted, as much as anything, the dealer's decision to impose this charge has bad optics, and it can't be a well thought out decision on the part of the dealer. I suspect that only a small part of the $20 charge is the result of insurance costs related to OEM windshield replacements and that most of the $20 is related to gas usage, but, when the two are packaged together, it just comes across as being petty nickel and diming.

If that dealer is like most other Lexus dealers, it is already charging prices that are twice as high or more for service than the Toyota dealer down the road, and that Toyota dealer is likely offering truly free loaner vehicles. Many Lexus vehicle owners have already made the decision not to use the Lexus dealer for non-warranty service, and I would think that such a charge would cause others to make the same decision.
Old 04-10-18, 09:19 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this true? My windshield is not factory oem when I bought my CPO 2014 GS350. I'm going to call them.

Last edited by Superman60; 04-10-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 09:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman60
Is this true? My windshield is not factory oem when I bought my CPO 2014 GS350. I'm going to call them.
I was wondering about the same thing.

When I bought my 2017 ES and traded in my 2013 ES, I completed the deal via email and phone, and the dealer made the trade-in offer without ever seeing the 2013 ES. During phone discussions, I was asked a number of questions, including things like how much tread was left on the tires, related to whether the dealer would be able to sell my 2013 as a CPO vehicle. They did not, however, ask me about whether the windshield had ever been replaced or whether it had an OEM windshield. I would have thought that, if a non-OEM windshield would have made the car ineligible for being a CPO vehicle, they would have asked me about the windshield. Also, while I've read much about what is required for certification, I've never read anything before this about a requirement of an OEM windshield, and I've read a number of posts on the CL boards from people who have bought CPO vehicles that had non-OEM windshield replacements.
Old 04-10-18, 09:58 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I was wondering about the same thing.

When I bought my 2017 ES and traded in my 2013 ES, I completed the deal via email and phone, and the dealer made the trade-in offer without ever seeing the 2013 ES. During phone discussions, I was asked a number of questions, including things like how much tread was left on the tires, related to whether the dealer would be able to sell my 2013 as a CPO vehicle. They did not, however, ask me about whether the windshield had ever been replaced or whether it had an OEM windshield. I would have thought that, if a non-OEM windshield would have made the car ineligible for being a CPO vehicle, they would have asked me about the windshield. Also, while I've read much about what is required for certification, I've never read anything before this about a requirement of an OEM windshield, and I've read a number of posts on the CL boards from people who have bought CPO vehicles that had non-OEM windshield replacements.
Correct, I sent Lexus Corporate a screen shot of the poster, and asked whether this was the case, and if not, this is very misleading. they're going to respond within 24 hrs. the reply said. I'll keep you posted. Also the rep. I spoke with inquired while I was on the phone and said it didn't have to be OEM to be certified. I read him the poster and he gave me customer service email to send them a screen shot of it.

Last edited by Superman60; 04-10-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 11:25 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Do they not have a more expensive option so we can get Nitrogen in the tires also?

PS- I would tell that dealer point blank, I am not spending another dime here of service or on cars until this nonsense stops.
Old 04-10-18, 12:06 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

$20 is outrageous, especially if it's warranty work. This is definitely a Lexus dealer going rogue and customers are going to have issues.

I go to Bell Lexus from time to time in AZ, and they charge $7.50 a day but that includes your fuel. Seems a fair charge to me as I likely burn at least that much fuel when I use their cars.
Old 04-10-18, 12:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Seems to contradict page 5 of the Lexus Warranty and Services Guide, at least for 8+ hour repairs :

Loaner Vehicle
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty-covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days.
I suspect anything to do with loaners outside of the above condition is up to the individual dealer. I know at mine (Lexus of Seattle) they provide a free loaner for any service expected to last 2 hours or more. Otherwise you wait or take their shuttle.
Old 04-10-18, 11:33 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 637 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman60
Correct, I sent Lexus Corporate a screen shot of the poster, and asked whether this was the case, and if not, this is very misleading. they're going to respond within 24 hrs. the reply said. I'll keep you posted. Also the rep. I spoke with inquired while I was on the phone and said it didn't have to be OEM to be certified. I read him the poster and he gave me customer service email to send them a screen shot of it.
I too sent an email to customer service today. I’ll let you know when they reply.
Old 04-11-18, 04:46 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

If I had to pay $20, I might go for a 6 or 7 hour cruise in their car and return the car empty of gas. That might change their foolish policy.
Old 04-11-18, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

This kind of stuff is really BS. Its an individual thing. The dealer I used for 15 years started charging $5 for a loaner, so I changed dealers to one who doesn't charge even though its less convenient. Bought my 17 LS from the new dealer too after having bought 4 straight from the old one.

Sucks to be them, hope they enjoy that $5, last $5 they will ever get from me.

I have no problem replacing the fuel I use. The new dealer is free fuel, and they have free EZPasses for free tolls since its right off of an expensive toll road. Clear who wants my business more.
Old 04-12-18, 05:33 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This kind of stuff is really BS. Its an individual thing. The dealer I used for 15 years started charging $5 for a loaner, so I changed dealers to one who doesn't charge even though its less convenient. Bought my 17 LS from the new dealer too after having bought 4 straight from the old one.

Sucks to be them, hope they enjoy that $5, last $5 they will ever get from me.

I have no problem replacing the fuel I use. The new dealer is free fuel, and they have free EZPasses for free tolls since its right off of an expensive toll road. Clear who wants my business more.
I think that this is the attitude to take Steve. A paltry $5.00 charge and they lost you as a customer. The saying "Money talks and BS walks" is very true... I'd do the same thing...

Quick Reply: Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work