ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

I want to add a powered sub. Would that void my L-Certified Factory Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 12:31 PM
djlehman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I want to add a powered sub. Would that void my L-Certified Factory Warranty?

I would like to do a MODEST upgrade to the stereo. I just want to swap out the factory speakers with same sized (including impedance) aftermarket speakers so that no alteration to the vehicle is needed. The only other thing I'd like to do is to add a powered subwoofer in the trunk. This would require running power directly from the battery to the trunk where the self contained subwoofer box with amplifier would be connected. The audio signal would be tapped from the existing rear deck mounted subwoofer. No modification to the car's structure or mounting of any electronics or hardware would be needed. This entire job would be done by a ASE Certified technician.

I still haven't received any paperwork pertaining to the warranty from the dealership since I just brought the car home, but am expecting to receive it soon. Does anyone KNOW whether or not any of the above mentioned alterations to the vehicle could void the factory / L-Certified warranty? I'm very nervous about doing anything that could potentially void the warranty which is one of the main reasons I went with Lexus in the first place. I would appreciate if anyone could point me specifically to any text or language in the Warranty Specs that would indicate that alterations such as the one that I have described above would void the warranty, or language that specifically permits it.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-12-18, 07:41 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Call the dealer and ask. I'm sure you aren't the first one with a question pertaining to stereo upgrades
Old 04-12-18, 08:13 PM
djlehman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Albo
Call the dealer and ask. I'm sure you aren't the first one with a question pertaining to stereo upgrades
I'm not sure I would trust a verbal answer by someone over the phone, which is why I'd like to know if anyone can point me to specific language they've seen in the Warranty documents / specification of coverages. Particularly, any language that would prohibit of allow such modification. Because honestly, I could imagine an answer by phone going either way... "No, don't do it. You'll void the warranty" or "Sure, that's no problem. Go right ahead" and I wouldn't feel secure with either of those responses unless it was backed up in writing.
Old 04-13-18, 08:45 PM
thekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djlehman
I'm not sure I would trust a verbal answer by someone over the phone, which is why I'd like to know if anyone can point me to specific language they've seen in the Warranty documents / specification of coverages. Particularly, any language that would prohibit of allow such modification. Because honestly, I could imagine an answer by phone going either way... "No, don't do it. You'll void the warranty" or "Sure, that's no problem. Go right ahead" and I wouldn't feel secure with either of those responses unless it was backed up in writing.
I completely agree. After all the lies (intentional or not) that EVERY dealership told me while I was car shopping, I don't trust ANY verbal information unless they can prove to me what they are saying is true in writing. Heck, even after I bought & paid for my car, their "electronics expert" continued to give me false information. You definitely got to get the info in writing. I too am curious about what other member's experiences are with similar situations.
Old 04-13-18, 09:56 PM
debtfree1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why even tell them? Sub woofer can be unplugged and taken out, very simple task. Kind of like asking your government if you can carry a pocket knife.
Old 04-13-18, 10:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I was wondering why one would even think it would void the Warranty?

I guess if you did something like a incorrect hook up that Damaged something with the Electronics, or burned up the car they might have a problem with it.
Old 04-14-18, 09:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

It would definitely void the speaker warranty!
Old 04-15-18, 07:15 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Everything I've read about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is that the only part it would void would be things connected to the non-factory modification. So if your amplifier went out, my guess is they would try and claim it was because of the sub woofer you put in or any wiring involved with the stereo, etc.

But they can't say they aren't going to warranty your transmission because you put in a subwoofer and void the whole vehicle warranty.

Still, a dealership and a consumer can disagree about where one ends or begins, so might want to be careful. Something happens to your factory navigation and they may blame your subwoofer, it could cost a lot of money to have your day in court.
Old 04-18-18, 01:31 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thekopp
I completely agree. After all the lies (intentional or not) that EVERY dealership told me while I was car shopping, I don't trust ANY verbal information unless they can prove to me what they are saying is true in writing. Heck, even after I bought & paid for my car, their "electronics expert" continued to give me false information. You definitely got to get the info in writing. I too am curious about what other member's experiences are with similar situations.
What are some of the lies they told you? Especially the ones from the electronics expert.
Old 04-19-18, 09:51 AM
thekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
What are some of the lies they told you? Especially the ones from the electronics expert.
Remote start was free and included with the purchase of the car (NOPE: $16/mo), side mirrors fold when parked (NOPE: not in USA), driver's side mirror doesn't tilt down, only passenger mirror does (WRONG AGAIN -he just didn't know how to set it up), traffic appears on the map only after your activate XM radio (NOPE: 2016 uses HD radio & supposedly Enform), he also told me that I had to install Enform App Suite 2.0 & that it was the updated version of the original app (WRONG: 1.0 and 2.0 are for different vehicles & years). I remember there was a few more things that he specifically told me, which I later found to be incorrect too... but I can't recall right now.

One of my co-workers is VERY passionate about Lexus & one of his rides is the same model year as mine. The day after I got the car he pointed out a good number of details that the "electronics expert" completely failed on.

Seems to be just like those "phone experts" at the big cell phone carrier stores. They talk like they know everything, but reality is that after just a few minutes of online research, you find out that half the stuff they told you was wrong and that you already know more than the "expert" after just 5-10 minutes of watching YouTube.
Old 04-20-18, 03:46 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thekopp
Remote start was free and included with the purchase of the car (NOPE: $16/mo), side mirrors fold when parked (NOPE: not in USA), driver's side mirror doesn't tilt down, only passenger mirror does (WRONG AGAIN -he just didn't know how to set it up), traffic appears on the map only after your activate XM radio (NOPE: 2016 uses HD radio & supposedly Enform), he also told me that I had to install Enform App Suite 2.0 & that it was the updated version of the original app (WRONG: 1.0 and 2.0 are for different vehicles & years). I remember there was a few more things that he specifically told me, which I later found to be incorrect too... but I can't recall right now.

One of my co-workers is VERY passionate about Lexus & one of his rides is the same model year as mine. The day after I got the car he pointed out a good number of details that the "electronics expert" completely failed on.

Seems to be just like those "phone experts" at the big cell phone carrier stores. They talk like they know everything, but reality is that after just a few minutes of online research, you find out that half the stuff they told you was wrong and that you already know more than the "expert" after just 5-10 minutes of watching YouTube.
Thanks for the post, and the examples.