ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

TPMS and winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 12:54 PM
slickman82
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS and winter wheels

Apologies if this is a redundant question but I used the search feature in the ES sub-forum and couldn't find a definitive answer from what I can see.

I just purchased a new (to me) 2016 ES350 and wanted to know if its possible to have two sets of wheels and swap them out when winter arrives without the TPMS warning going crazy? Will the 2016 ES recognize two sets of TPMS sensors (one set for summer and one set for winter)? I read that it wont and the best method is to clone the ID's from the summer wheels to the new winter wheels, that way it has the same ID and wont get confused or reach its limit of IDs. Is this correct? If so what are my options of doing so? I do not want to have to go to the dealership every time so they can program the wheels per season. If there is a cheaper and/or easier method I am all ears.
Old 04-16-18, 12:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

The TPMS for the ES can only register one set of sensors. Beyond saying that, I don't have any advice. Someone else should be able to give suggestions for the most practical way to set things up for two sets of wheels/tires.
Old 04-16-18, 06:24 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I too would like to know this as I was planning on doing the same in a year or so
Old 04-16-18, 07:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by slickman82
Apologies if this is a redundant question but I used the search feature in the ES sub-forum and couldn't find a definitive answer from what I can see.

I just purchased a new (to me) 2016 ES350 and wanted to know if its possible to have two sets of wheels and swap them out when winter arrives without the TPMS warning going crazy? Will the 2016 ES recognize two sets of TPMS sensors (one set for summer and one set for winter)? I read that it wont and the best method is to clone the ID's from the summer wheels to the new winter wheels, that way it has the same ID and wont get confused or reach its limit of IDs. Is this correct? If so what are my options of doing so? I do not want to have to go to the dealership every time so they can program the wheels per season. If there is a cheaper and/or easier method I am all ears.
That is one beef I had when I owned Lexus vehicle. Many other cars have an ability to remember two sets of TPMS. Regarding cloning TPMS id., yes it is possible if you use universal type TPMS and clone each one of them but if you have spare tire, some times that has TPMS too. Many European cars have indirect pressure monitor(no TPMS). Our family has Audi, MB, BMW cars, they all have indirect system. I have a TPMS tool I used with Lexus. When I switch tires I used the tool to read new TPMS ids. in the order, LF >> RF >>RR >> LR, then connect the tool to OBD port register new ids. less than 10 mins. job. Very handy.
Old 04-16-18, 10:21 PM
slickman82
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HTony, would you mind providing the name/model of the TPMS tool? Sounds like a similar process to my Chevy SUV minus plugging into the OBD port but a close enough procedure.
Old 04-17-18, 06:20 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by slickman82
HTony, would you mind providing the name/model of the TPMS tool? Sounds like a similar process to my Chevy SUV minus plugging into the OBD port but a close enough procedure.
Hi, It is Autel Maxi TPMS TS-501 in a hard case with accessories. I got one on sale. Believe newer model is out now. Very handy for TPMS related work.