New ES350 owner joining CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 10:16 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New ES350 owner joining CL

Hi there,
I’m new to Lexus with my first Lexus purchase around two months ago and I’m new to Club Lexus of course!

I’m originally from Germany and live in Abu Dhabi / UAE.

My vehicle history in reverse order:
Lexus ES 350 (2018) + Toyota Landcruiser Prado 4.0 (2016) - both current
Audi A4 2.0T Ultra (2016)
Audi A6 3.0T Supercharged (2012)
Mercedes ML 500 (2009)
Toyota Corolla (1996) during Island life
Mercedes ML 320 (2002)
Mercedes 450 SE (1979)
Volkswagen Golf 1.6 (2005)

I bought the ES mainly due to the fact that Lexus enjoys an excellent reputation in the UAE, paired with high resale value. Lexus in Germany has no reputation and zero resale value :-) I was also impressed with all the ES cars over here in the UAE that are used for uber etc. and I noticed that they were all riding so quietly even with high mileage on them. I’d say that this is a weakness of many of the German cars. Even the ones I bought from new made rattling noises etc right from the start! Additionally, in this class of vehicle the Germans don’t even offer any more 6-cylinder engines unless you go for an AMG or Audi S or BMW M. But those are quite noisy with hard suspensions.

It’s been 2 months and around 2,000 miles so far and I’m super pleased with my purchase!

Strong points:
- engine sound is just wonderful
- ride is super smooth and quiet, no rattles whatsoever
- leather on seats is super soft, much better than in my German cars. I have the semi aniline leather with ventilated seats
- seating comfort is excellent, again I feel that I’ve never had any car that had such comfortable seats
- quality of sound system. I love listening to music and have high expectations. I don’t have ML but I have the premium sound system and I’m very pleased. Bass is nice and firm, and low, mids and highs are clear.
- suspension is super nice and hides all those potholes
- the way the power windows close slowly and without any sound is a really cool touch of quality. I’m not sure, but I don’t think any other brand does that!
- rear seat legroom. Plenty of space for my family.
- relaxation factor, I always arrive super relaxed and actually look forward to going back and driving my ES every time
- did I mention the engine sound is sooooo wonderful:-)

Areas that are lacking:
- feel for the road / agility. Yes, it is true, cornering and feel for the road is quite a bit worse than all my previous cars, then again I don’t race around!
- A/C comfort. This is really strange. On all my German cars, I could set one temperature, press AUTO and leave it like that forever - literally, I NEVER had to change the setting for several years. Unfortunately, the Lexus A/C goes way too cold. To me it seems that the Lexus A/C cannot actually mix cold and warm air. This is especially apparent when it is moderately hot outside - say 77F outside, I set the A/C to 73F. The car cools down way below this temperature unless I manually reduce the fan speed and even then the air coming out of the vents is extremely cold, feels like around 62F! I’ve raised this with the dealer but they advised it is operating as intended.

My ES 350 is pretty much what you have as the UL in the US - everything is there with the exception of the ML sound system. I have the radar cruise control, blind spot monitor, lane keeping alert with steering assist, illuminated door sills, Lexus logo projector lights on the floor, semi aniline leather, electric trunk operation, ventilated seats, automatic high beams, BI-LED lights
Old 04-17-18, 11:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. You should find lots of good information here to help you learn about your car.

Good luck with your very nicely-equipped ES.
Old 04-17-18, 05:49 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome comrade
Old 04-18-18, 06:23 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on your new ES and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-18-18, 09:23 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Thank you all for your kind messages.
Old 04-18-18, 12:41 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OBLexus
Hi there,
I’m new to Lexus with my first Lexus purchase around two months ago and I’m new to Club Lexus of course!

I’m originally from Germany and live in Abu Dhabi / UAE.

My vehicle history in reverse order:
Lexus ES 350 (2018) + Toyota Landcruiser Prado 4.0 (2016) - both current
Audi A4 2.0T Ultra (2016)
Audi A6 3.0T Supercharged (2012)
Mercedes ML 500 (2009)
Toyota Corolla (1996) during Island life
Mercedes ML 320 (2002)
Mercedes 450 SE (1979)
Volkswagen Golf 1.6 (2005)

I bought the ES mainly due to the fact that Lexus enjoys an excellent reputation in the UAE, paired with high resale value. Lexus in Germany has no reputation and zero resale value :-) I was also impressed with all the ES cars over here in the UAE that are used for uber etc. and I noticed that they were all riding so quietly even with high mileage on them. I’d say that this is a weakness of many of the German cars. Even the ones I bought from new made rattling noises etc right from the start! Additionally, in this class of vehicle the Germans don’t even offer any more 6-cylinder engines unless you go for an AMG or Audi S or BMW M. But those are quite noisy with hard suspensions.

It’s been 2 months and around 2,000 miles so far and I’m super pleased with my purchase!

Strong points:
- engine sound is just wonderful
- ride is super smooth and quiet, no rattles whatsoever
- leather on seats is super soft, much better than in my German cars. I have the semi aniline leather with ventilated seats
- seating comfort is excellent, again I feel that I’ve never had any car that had such comfortable seats
- quality of sound system. I love listening to music and have high expectations. I don’t have ML but I have the premium sound system and I’m very pleased. Bass is nice and firm, and low, mids and highs are clear.
- suspension is super nice and hides all those potholes
- the way the power windows close slowly and without any sound is a really cool touch of quality. I’m not sure, but I don’t think any other brand does that!
- rear seat legroom. Plenty of space for my family.
- relaxation factor, I always arrive super relaxed and actually look forward to going back and driving my ES every time
- did I mention the engine sound is sooooo wonderful:-)

Areas that are lacking:
- feel for the road / agility. Yes, it is true, cornering and feel for the road is quite a bit worse than all my previous cars, then again I don’t race around!
- A/C comfort. This is really strange. On all my German cars, I could set one temperature, press AUTO and leave it like that forever - literally, I NEVER had to change the setting for several years. Unfortunately, the Lexus A/C goes way too cold. To me it seems that the Lexus A/C cannot actually mix cold and warm air. This is especially apparent when it is moderately hot outside - say 77F outside, I set the A/C to 73F. The car cools down way below this temperature unless I manually reduce the fan speed and even then the air coming out of the vents is extremely cold, feels like around 62F! I’ve raised this with the dealer but they advised it is operating as intended.

My ES 350 is pretty much what you have as the UL in the US - everything is there with the exception of the ML sound system. I have the radar cruise control, blind spot monitor, lane keeping alert with steering assist, illuminated door sills, Lexus logo projector lights on the floor, semi aniline leather, electric trunk operation, ventilated seats, automatic high beams, BI-LED lights
Thanks for the post. This was a good read.

And for describing how the car compares to your other cars, especially since you've had so many different ones. It's interesting to read the things that you like about it compared to your other cars.

I've actually had the same issue with the AC too. I think it's a little too cold, no matter what temperature I set it at. To compensate, just like you, I reduce the fan speed.

Actually, I think the air circulation in general is cold, whether I use the AC or not. When I want warm air, I end up turning the temperature all the way up to max. Sometimes I can do 2 or 3 degrees less, but any less than that, and I end up thinking it's not warm enough.

But, maybe it's just my temperature preferences.
Old 04-18-18, 12:42 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

So when you say that in Germany, Lexus has zero resale value, I guess there isn't any demand for Lexus cars in Germany?
Old 04-18-18, 03:33 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I've dealt with this is to leave everything on full Auto and when you get in the car and the air blowing is too cold, just keep bumping the temperature up (ignore the actual number) until the vented air feels right (will end up reducing fan speed as well). The issue isn't being able to mix cold and warm air, it's that there is no relative intensity controls for the climate system compared to your other cars. It's always going to try to get to that set temperature ASAP when you are in full auto. You can't control the curve of how fast or slow it should get there.
Old 04-18-18, 07:59 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Sort of related, once the AC is on, is there an easier way to turn it off, but leave the air on, without navigating through the Climate settings menu?
Old 04-18-18, 09:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,378 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Sort of related, once the AC is on, is there an easier way to turn it off, but leave the air on, without navigating through the Climate settings menu?
No I have not found a way, and I wish there was.
Old 04-18-18, 10:04 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by nuraman00
So when you say that in Germany, Lexus has zero resale value, I guess there isn't any demand for Lexus cars in Germany?
Lexus sells only around 2,000 cars per year in Germany - just to put it into perspective, Mercedes sells 10,000 S-Class cars alone per year.
It is all about the fact that Germans buy primarily German luxury cars.
Lexus has the reputation of being an expensive, glorified Toyota (they also have very bad resale value in Germany) and therefore very few people buy them.

Last edited by OBLexus; 04-19-18 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 10:06 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Must be a lot more expensive to buy an ES where the demand is that much higher vs buying in Germany. What is the cost of a new ES in the UAE?
I paid USD 50,500 including free service up to 40,000 kms.
Lexus doesn’t offer the ES in Germany.
In the UAE, Lexus keeps value very well. In the first year it’ll loose around 25%, a German car will loose around 40+%!
Old 04-18-18, 10:53 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Another strong point for the ES - you can customize all the info screens with different combinations of current fuel consumption, since last refill, since starting etc. On all my previous cars there was a small variety of those combinations, but you weren’t able to configure them yourself. This is really a great feature!
Old 04-18-18, 11:20 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by amphiprion
The way I've dealt with this is to leave everything on full Auto and when you get in the car and the air blowing is too cold, just keep bumping the temperature up (ignore the actual number) until the vented air feels right (will end up reducing fan speed as well). The issue isn't being able to mix cold and warm air, it's that there is no relative intensity controls for the climate system compared to your other cars. It's always going to try to get to that set temperature ASAP when you are in full auto. You can't control the curve of how fast or slow it should get there.
Actually, I don’t mind that the AC will blow VERY strongly to cool down to the set temperature and then reduce its air flow once the set temperature has been reached. However, from what I can see, it seems Lexus is only regulating the cabin temperature by varying the fan speed, the air temperature of the AC air always seems to be the same. On my other cars (other than my Toyota), the AC would cool down with high fan speed and very cold air initially. Once the set point is reached, it would reduce the fan speed AND the air coming out of the vents will be only maybe 1 degree colder or equal to the set temperature.
On my other cars, I could leave the AC on all the time on AUTO, even down to maybe 41 degrees F outside temperature with a set point of 73 F inside. The air condition would have the benefit of removing the majority of humidity due to the AC, but be nice and warm. It seems the Lexus doesn’t have this at all.

Last edited by OBLexus; 04-18-18 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 04:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

On my other cars, I could leave the AC on all the time on AUTO, even down to maybe 41 degrees F outside temperature with a set point of 73 F inside. The air condition would have the benefit of removing the majority of humidity due to the AC, but be nice and warm. It seems the Lexus doesn’t have this at all.
I leave my ES set to 72F year round. I don't experience your issue, but I have read about others on here that do. I don't understand why they can't fix it. One thing I do when it's really hot, is force outside air after the cabin is cool. I do this to eliminate the musty smell that these cars seem to get after awhile. Lexus defaults to recirculate once the outside temp is above 72ish.

Quick Reply: New ES350 owner joining CL