ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

When will ES get Hold button like LS, RX, GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 11:10 AM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When will ES get Hold button like LS, RX, GS

When will ES get Hold button like LS, RX, GS?
Old 04-23-18, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I'm sure the all new ES being unveiled in China next week will have the hold button.
Old 04-23-18, 04:00 PM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm sure the all new ES being unveiled in China next week will have the hold button.
And when will it be available for sale in the USA?
Old 04-23-18, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mgauss7
And when will it be available for sale in the USA?
Typically new Lexus models go on sale in the fall, so I would say Sept/October of this year as a 2019 model.
Old 04-23-18, 05:29 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Steve - help me out here, what is a hold button?

Dave Mac
Old 04-23-18, 05:47 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 04-23-18, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
See above LOL

Cliff's notes. When activated it holds the brake pedal at a stop for you without you having to keep your foot on it. Sounds silly, but its actually a great feature that I miss when I drive a car that doesn't have it.
Old 04-23-18, 06:38 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow I didn't even know that was a thing. I kind of wish I had it now. Pretty cool and useful. I hate when people put their car in park at a red light and when they dont notice the light turn green they're either flooring it and going no where or taking forever to shift back into drive. This seems like a no brainer to put into most any new car.
Old 04-23-18, 06:44 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES300h has this, press hard on the brake pedal when stationary and the hold feature turns on for 10 seconds. The traction control light flashes during this time. It's not as good as a proper hold button and I wish Lexus would get rid of the stupid foot parking brake.
Old 04-23-18, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My GS had that (no brake hold on the GS either by the way), thats meant to hold the brake for you on an incline while you apply throttle to keep you from rolling back, its not meant to be used as a hold feature.

The hold feature comes with the electronic parking brake BTW, I'm sure the next ES will have both.

Cant have a hold feature and no electronic parking brake. The system uses that p-brake as the failsafe in the system.
Old 04-23-18, 06:52 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Exactly, hopefully they go away from the footbrake and opt for a fancier electronic parking brake. I mean for crying out loud doesn't the new accord and camry have that ?
Old 04-23-18, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be shocked if the new one didn't have an electronic one

Remember, the new Accord and Camry are the new Accord and Camry. The ES is from 2012.
Old 04-23-18, 06:56 PM
Albo
Pole Position

That's what I meant, referring to the new generation. Obviously this gen is set in stone. Agreed it would be shocking to see a feature like that missing . Trying to think of what other features the new gen should have. But that should be it's own thread
Old 04-23-18, 07:40 PM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
You activate the Hold by pressing the button.
You get to a 5 minute red light. Options are 1) hold brake pedal 5 minutes which will give you a cramp, gout, or a clot. 2) Put it on Park and then when light turns green get beeped at or crashed in the rear.
With the HOLD button, you just relax your foot and when the light turns green you press the gas.

For us older than 50, it is a must. Many BMW, Mercedes, have it. The ES being a mechanical ride (excellent by the way), does not have a HOLD. They'd have to redesign the whole car. A new car design from scratch. My salesman told me it will not be till 3 years from now. But since they do have it now in LS, RX, GS, even NX H, its time. But the ES is the proven cash cow, so we'll see.
Old 04-23-18, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mgauss7
You activate the Hold by pressing the button.
You get to a 5 minute red light. Options are 1) hold brake pedal 5 minutes which will give you a cramp, gout, or a clot. 2) Put it on Park and then when light turns green get beeped at or crashed in the rear.
With the HOLD button, you just relax your foot and when the light turns green you press the gas.

For us older than 50, it is a must.
Lets not oversell it lol. Yes its a nice and handy feature, but we got along with holding the brake pedal down for 5 minutes at a light for decades and decades, and not even on cars with power brakes way back where it actually took weight to hold it down and we survived.

Many BMW, Mercedes, have it. The ES being a mechanical ride (excellent by the way), does not have a HOLD. They'd have to redesign the whole car. A new car design from scratch. My salesman told me it will not be till 3 years from now. But since they do have it now in LS, RX, GS, even NX H, its time. But the ES is the proven cash cow, so we'll see.
Your salesman, like most salesman has no idea what he's talking about. A new ES is coming, pictures are on the forum its released at the Beijing auto show any day. It WILL be out this fall replacing the current ES, and I'm sure it will have brake hold. The "whole car" does not have to be "new car designed from scratch". All the new Lexus models have it, the ES will too.

BTW, as I said before the GS does NOT have brake hold, nor does the LX or the GX. LS does (had it first), RX does, IS does, NX does, LX does, RC does, LC does.

Quick Reply: When will ES get Hold button like LS, RX, GS