ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2018 ES pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 02:15 PM
gzbcl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 lease

Hi! I'm new to leasing a car and have no idea on how to go about it. This is my first new car. I went to a dealership to check out the car and it was lovely! I didn't make any negotiations because I wanted to do some online research before sitting down with anyone. So I am emailing several dealerships about their pricing, but I want to lease first and then buy out the lease. I was quoted $449/month for 10k, 30mnths but I think for a $42,289.00 car, it's too much. I have a coworker who is paying $420/mnth for his $50,000 BMW... I asked the online salesman to email me a breakdown of the costs but he hasn't responded yet. As you all know, the ES350 2018 is selling like hot cakes. I'm located in Socal and most of the dealerships are almost out of the color schemes that I want, what should I be doing? Is his deal fair or is there room to negotiate?
Old 08-30-18, 02:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by gzbcl88
Hi! I'm new to leasing a car and have no idea on how to go about it. This is my first new car. I went to a dealership to check out the car and it was lovely! I didn't make any negotiations because I wanted to do some online research before sitting down with anyone. So I am emailing several dealerships about their pricing, but I want to lease first and then buy out the lease. I was quoted $449/month for 10k, 30mnths but I think for a $42,289.00 car, it's too much. I have a coworker who is paying $420/mnth for his $50,000 BMW... I asked the online salesman to email me a breakdown of the costs but he hasn't responded yet. As you all know, the ES350 2018 is selling like hot cakes. I'm located in Socal and most of the dealerships are almost out of the color schemes that I want, what should I be doing? Is his deal fair or is there room to negotiate?
I too knew nothing about leasing so researched online. Here is a link that helped me immeasurably. There are a lot of pitfalls and things to know and avoid. Salesmen will tell you anything they think you want to hear. And sometimes NOT tell you things you SHOULD know. GOOD LUCK!

https://www.leaseguide.com/lease07/
Old 08-30-18, 03:56 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

A reason why dealers like to do lease deals is because there are many more factors in play in a lease deal than there are in a sale. Thus, the dealer can make what appears to be an attractive (to the buyer) offer on some of the obvious factors and, then, set up a potentially large profit for the dealership by including less attractive (to the buyer) terms on the more obscure factors for the deal.

Your approach of contacting 6 dealers via their internet sales departments is a sound strategy. But my suggestion would be that, instead of requesting lease offers, you break the process up into smaller parts to make it more difficult for the dealer to be able to "hide" a high profit part of the deal in with the rest of the deal.

I would suggest starting by requesting offers only for the price of buying the car. After I got such offers, I would present the best of the 6 offers to the other 5 dealers to see if they were willing to beat it. After repeating this process a few times, you should quickly be able to figure out where the floor of the market is and be able to determine which 1 or 2 dealers you would want to proceed with any further.

Only at this point, would I bring the lease into the process. That is when you should be able to look at the money factor, residual value, and mileage allowance. That is also when you would want to look at other costs, including acquisition fees, disposition fees, and other dealer charges.

By separating the negotiations for the price of the vehicle from the lease terms, it should be easier for you to be able to evaluate whether the deal is good or not.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-18, 04:02 PM
gzbcl88
Driver School Candidate

Default Two offers

thank you for your feedback! I guess I started off on the wrong foot.

i have received 2 offers for the car with my color combo
dealer 1:
MSRP: $42,674
Residual: 47% ($20,056.78)
MF: .00001
36/10k with $0 down
$399/mnth

dealer 2:
MSRP: $42,289
residual: $19,875.83
36/10k with $0 down
$449/mnth

is there any wiggle room or are these the best that I can do?
Old 08-30-18, 04:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

thank you for your feedback! I guess I started off on the wrong foot.

i have received 2 offers for the car with my color combo
dealer 1:
MSRP: $42,674
Residual: 47% ($20,056.78)
36/10k with $0 down
$399/mnth

dealer 2:
MSRP: $42,289
residual: $19,875.83
36/10k with $0 down
$449/mnth

is there any wiggle room or are these the best that I can do?
The residual is set by Lexus, and it should be the same regardless of what dealer you go with. That is why, with both of those offers, the residual is exactly 47% of MSRP.

With both offers, the .0001 money factor translates to .024%, which essentially means that you are paying no interest.

The difference between the two offers is related to something that they have not told you, and that is how much of a discount they are giving you off of the MSRP. Neither dealer seems to be telling you that, but that is the key number to start with, and that is why I suggested, instead of starting by asking for a lease offer, you begin the process by asking for a purchase price for the car. You could use the numbers that they have provided to figure out what the purchase price is, but it would be much more straight forward to start with getting purchase price offers from the dealers (and you will be less likely to need a bottle of aspirin next to you while you are evaluating the numbers). Like I said earlier, dealers love to make lease offers (without stating a sale price for the car) because doing so makes it much more difficult to evaluate the deal.

In order to evaluate the deals, other information would be needed, including any down payment and other fees associated with the deal.

If there is no down payment, with the first deal you would be getting a discount of somewhere between 19% and 20% from MSRP, which is pretty good for the current market. On the other hand, if there is a down payment due at lease signing, your discount from MSRP could be as low as less than 10%, which is not good at all in the current market.

With the second deal, if there is no down payment, the discount from MSRP is between 14% and 15%, which isn't especially good for the current market, and, if there is a down payment, the discount from MSRP could be as low as 4%, which is horrible for the current market.

All of this shows, I think, why you need to look at lots of things with a lease deal, and separating the negotiations for the purchase price from the lease terms can make it easier to do so.
Old 08-30-18, 04:50 PM
gzbcl88
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank u

$0 down for the 1st dealer
and the 2nd dealer wants the first payment upfront as well as registration & acquisition fee.

i realized that the selling price was what I should have started negotiating with first. But according to the email, the selling price for both are almost identical. $32,222 vs $32,242
Old 08-30-18, 05:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

i realized that the selling price was what I should have started negotiating with first. But according to the email, the selling price for both are almost identical. $32,222 vs $32,242
That can't be. The selling price from dealer #2 is around $1800 higher than that for dealer #1.
Old 08-30-18, 05:25 PM
gzbcl88
Driver School Candidate

Default Pricing

Originally Posted by lesz
That can't be. The selling price from dealer #2 is around $1800 higher than that for dealer #1.
how did you come to that calculation? I don't see it.

dealer 1 selling price is 32,242
dealer 2 selling price is 32,222

and the other numbers I've listed in the post above.
Old 08-30-18, 05:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

how did you come to that calculation? I don't see it.

dealer 1 selling price is 32,242
dealer 2 selling price is 32,222

and the other numbers I've listed in the post above.
If the 2 cars have MSRP that are very close (only a few hundred dollars apart), if the residual percentage is 47% for both deals, and if the money factor in both deals is .00001, the fact that the monthly payment in deal #2 is $50/month higher than the monthly payment in deal #1, that means that, for deal #2, you will be paying, over the course of the lease, about $1800 ($50/month x 36 months) more for deal #2 than for deal #1. Since the interest rate (for both deals) is, for practical purposes, 0%, that means that the selling price for the car in deal #2 has to be around $1800 higher than the selling price for the car in deal #1 (unless I'm misunderstanding something about the terms that you are describing).
Old 08-31-18, 11:47 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm guessing that Lexus stopped building the 2018 ES around a couple of months ago. There is a member here at CL who works in the Kentucky plant that builds the ES. I'm sure that he could tell us exactly when the production of the 2018 ES stopped and when they started to re-tool the assembly lines to build the 2019 ES.

Generally speaking, incentives that Lexus offers to dealers are only available on cars that are already in a dealer's inventory, and they are not available on special order vehicles. That is why you can buy a car from a dealer's inventory for the same price that you would pay for a special order vehicle that is less well-equipped.

Originally Posted by nuraman00
When I special-ordered mine, the deal was negotiated on Jan 3rd. They said they couldn't apply rebates until delivery.

Delivery was April 14th. At that time, they had $1000 cash back (which was better than the $750 in January). So I was able to use the cash back.

So wasn't I able to use the incentive too?

Or, is an unadvertised incentive different from an advertised incentive?
Bump, @lesz? I just wanted clarification on the topic of incentives, and special ordering.
Old 08-31-18, 01:05 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm guessing that Lexus stopped building the 2018 ES around a couple of months ago. There is a member here at CL who works in the Kentucky plant that builds the ES. I'm sure that he could tell us exactly when the production of the 2018 ES stopped and when they started to re-tool the assembly lines to build the 2019 ES.

Generally speaking, incentives that Lexus offers to dealers are only available on cars that are already in a dealer's inventory, and they are not available on special order vehicles. That is why you can buy a car from a dealer's inventory for the same price that you would pay for a special order vehicle that is less well-equipped.
The US built ‘18 ES ceased production on July 25th. After that the ‘19 went into production. Beautiful vehicles to say the least imho. Thanks for your support, we put a lot of time and pride into each one we build. Hopefully you all get the vehicle you want at a price point you’re happy with.
The following 3 users liked this post by KYLexusMkr:
lji (09-02-18), nuraman00 (09-01-18), WNC (09-03-18)
Old 08-31-18, 02:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr

The US built ‘18 ES ceased production on July 25th. After that the ‘19 went into production.
Thanks for that information.

There are a couple of other things about which I'm curious. Do all of the production lines for the 2018 models get shut down at the same time and get converted to 2019 production, or are production capabilities for the 2018s phased out gradually over some short period of time? Also, how long does it take between the time when production of the 2018s stops and the production facilities are ready to start producing the 2019s?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-18, 04:40 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Message sent.
Old 09-01-18, 02:40 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
Message sent.
Can you send me the same answer?

Also, does that mean that someone can still place a custom order on July 25th? Or do they have to do it 1 - 2 weeks before that?
Old 09-03-18, 07:24 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finish negotiations all online with Beverly hills lexus at 22.2% off msrp. Great deal.

Some local dealerships(tustin, westminster) wanted to keep thing untransparent by only negotiations "once you come in(what's the point of having a internet sales dept if you'll only negotiate in person?.. I guess the answer is obvious they don't want you to compare shop between different dealerships.).

Last edited by reposado2; 09-03-18 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 ES pricing