ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Toyota Avalon Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 05:52 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota Avalon Front Brakes

I replaced the tires on the '13 ES this weekend (17" Pirelli Cinturato) and the service advisor told me that I'll need front brakes soon (at ~30k miles).
Does the ES use the same front brakes as the Avalon and would having my local wrench use Toyota parts save me any $ v.s., him ordering them from the Lexus dealer?
The local garage that works on both my cars always uses OEM parts. That way he knows that they will always fit and be correct and for the minor difference in price I don't object to that.
However, since there could be a price difference between Lexus and Toyota parts I figure it might be worth it to check.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 04-30-18, 07:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Look up the part numbers and a lot of times they will just be Toyota part numbers used on several cars...
Old 04-30-18, 08:29 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>Look up the part numbers and a lot of times they will just be Toyota part numbers used on several cars...
But would the part numbers be cross referenced?
Can you check regular GM listings for common parts for your 'vette?
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 04-30-18, 11:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>Look up the part numbers and a lot of times they will just be Toyota part numbers used on several cars...
But would the part numbers be cross referenced?
Can you check regular GM listings for common parts for your 'vette?
GM uses parts for periods of 25 years in some instances... Same alternator from 1965 to 1985. V8's get V8 parts, 6 cylinder cars get what they require. A Corvette is just a Chevvy with a V8 engine...Just sayin' check it out and maybe you can cross reference the part... My guess would be that the brakes are different... You can also just ask the parts man...
Old 05-01-18, 05:43 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Sorry, no snark intended. Just wondering about the old stories of 'vette owners getting shafted on parts prices, where the exact same Chevy part is used but it got a vette specific part number with accompanying "special" price.
Old 05-01-18, 06:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
I replaced the tires on the '13 ES this weekend (17" Pirelli Cinturato) and the service advisor told me that I'll need front brakes soon (at ~30k miles).
Does the ES use the same front brakes as the Avalon and would having my local wrench use Toyota parts save me any $ v.s., him ordering them from the Lexus dealer?
The local garage that works on both my cars always uses OEM parts. That way he knows that they will always fit and be correct and for the minor difference in price I don't object to that.
However, since there could be a price difference between Lexus and Toyota parts I figure it might be worth it to check.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Should be the same part in most circumstances. A good Lexus dealer should not be charging more for the same part.
Old 05-01-18, 08:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I checked and installed rear pad on my 13 ES 350 a few months ago. The rear pads were not the same as the Avalon or other Toyota's.
Old 05-02-18, 06:17 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I checked and installed rear pad on my 13 ES 350 a few months ago. The rear pads were not the same as the Avalon or other Toyota's.
Interesting. I guess I just assumed since based on Avalon that the pads would be the same. Guess I can forget about bringing it to my local Toyota dealer for brake work.
Old 05-02-18, 06:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Interesting. I guess I just assumed since based on Avalon that the pads would be the same. Guess I can forget about bringing it to my local Toyota dealer for brake work.
Even if the Lexus part is not the same as the Toyota part, the Toyota dealer can still get Lexus parts.
Old 05-02-18, 08:46 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Even if the Lexus part is not the same as the Toyota part, the Toyota dealer can still get Lexus parts.
Yes, I know that but it's hardly worth the hassle then. I get same Lexus part price and the Toyota dealer is not that much cheaper than Lexus in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-02-18, 09:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I did not check the Front pads though. They may or may not be the same?
Old 05-03-18, 08:26 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sucks having the Toyota dealer and lexus dealer right next door to each other and owned by the same company.
Old 05-05-18, 10:47 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

Just FYI, service advisors at dealerships are basically trained to constantly sell brake jobs whether you actually need them or not. I've experienced it first hand. It's a huge profit center.
So I would check myself if you have the ability. It's all about driving style, but I could easily see front brakes lasting 50k miles and could potentially get several more years out of them.

But to answer your question, I looked up a 2013 Avalon and a 2013 Es 350 and the aftermarket brake pads have the same part number. Any decent shop can easily do that job.

I've had really good luck with Wagner ceramic ThermoQuiet pads, my opinion is they are better than factory pads. I also like Centric Premium rotors.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (05-05-18)
Old 05-05-18, 05:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BradTank
Just FYI, service advisors at dealerships are basically trained to constantly sell brake jobs whether you actually need them or not. I've experienced it first hand. It's a huge profit center.
So I would check myself if you have the ability. It's all about driving style, but I could easily see front brakes lasting 50k miles and could potentially get several more years out of them.

But to answer your question, I looked up a 2013 Avalon and a 2013 Es 350 and the aftermarket brake pads have the same part number. Any decent shop can easily do that job.

I've had really good luck with Wagner ceramic ThermoQuiet pads, my opinion is they are better than factory pads. I also like Centric Premium rotors.
I called a Lexus Dealer and a Toyota Dealer about the rear pad interchangeability of the Avalon to 13 ES. Both said No. So are you saying both Ft and Rear are same? Sometime Manufactures have Material Compound differences. Even tho they fit.

If they are all (Front and Rear) the same as Avalon's that's good to know. I personally only run Factory pads or Akebono Top of line pads. The Lexus Stock Pads I ordered were placed thru a Toyota Dealers at a few bucks less than Lexus wanted.
Old 05-05-18, 11:54 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I called a Lexus Dealer and a Toyota Dealer about the rear pad interchangeability of the Avalon to 13 ES. Both said No. So are you saying both Ft and Rear are same? Sometime Manufactures have Material Compound differences. Even tho they fit.

If they are all (Front and Rear) the same as Avalon's that's good to know. I personally only run Factory pads or Akebono Top of line pads. The Lexus Stock Pads I ordered were placed thru a Toyota Dealers at a few bucks less than Lexus wanted.
I'm saying the part numbers for the aftermarket are the same both front and rear on the two different vehicles: 2013 Avalon and a 2013 ES 350. So there should be no problem interchanging them.

The part number I got for both the 2013 Avalon and ES 350
AKEBONO ACT1212 (rear)
AKEBONO ACT1222 (front)

Whether Lexus and Toyota internally has the same number or have the same exact compound is something I don't know. But the idea they won't "work" seems wrong from what I'm seeing. It would be like saying because the tires that come on an Avalon with 17" rims are a different compound or brand than the ones that come on an ES 350 with 17" rims, that they aren't compatible. In terms of dimensions, they should be the same

But a Toyota dealership may decide not to do it for a variety of reasons.
I like to do my own brakes, but an independent shop is usually a much better value than a dealership. I also prefer aftermarket ceramic pads.

Last edited by BradTank; 05-06-18 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Front Brakes