ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Navigation screen splits in half?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 11:28 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Navigation screen splits in half?

On my 2018 ES, it seems that when I'm on the freeway, the screen will sometimes split in half, vertically. And on the right hand side, it will tell me some info about upcoming exits (even if I'm not going to be taking them).

Sometimes, it will also have dining and ATM ($ icon) next to the upcoming exits.

What information is it trying to tell me? Can this setting be adjusted? I don't like having the map split in half. I'd rather see as much of the map as possible.

My 2013 ES didn't do this.
Old 05-26-18, 02:18 PM
digitalnrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they updated the map starting 2017 model
Old 05-26-18, 03:09 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

What exactly is the feature trying to do? And is this adjustable (on/off)?

Is it just telling me names of upcoming exits?
Old 05-27-18, 07:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
On my 2018 ES, it seems that when I'm on the freeway, the screen will sometimes split in half, vertically. And on the right hand side, it will tell me some info about upcoming exits (even if I'm not going to be taking them).

Sometimes, it will also have dining and ATM ($ icon) next to the upcoming exits.

What information is it trying to tell me? Can this setting be adjusted? I don't like having the map split in half. I'd rather see as much of the map as possible.

My 2013 ES didn't do this.
My 2013 does. There's a setting for it. However, I know nothing about your 2018.
Old 05-27-18, 07:50 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
My 2013 does. There's a setting for it. However, I know nothing about your 2018.
What was the setting on your 2013 called? I might be able to find it on the 2018.

When I first got the 2018, I went through the settings and tried to turn off things I didn't think I would like. But I may have missed something.
Old 05-28-18, 08:03 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok, try this. When the screen is displaying the map press "ON>>"; Then you will see "Map Mode" option on the left bottom of the screen, choose that and turn off dual map and or turn list. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-18, 08:19 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Ok, try this. When the screen is displaying the map press "ON>>"; Then you will see "Map Mode" option on the left bottom of the screen, choose that and turn off dual map and or turn list. Hope this helps.
I believe that the purpose of the Map Mode setting is to allow you to simultaneously view the map on one side of the screen while viewing radio and/or climate control information on the other side of the screen. But I don't think that it has anything to do with the upcoming exit information that displays on the right side of the map screen when you are driving on a freeway/toll road.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is any way to disable that upcoming exit information the appears when you are driving on a freeway/toll road.
Old 05-28-18, 09:27 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I could be wrong, but I don't think that there is any way to disable that upcoming exit information the appears when you are driving on a freeway/toll road.
Yeah when you are receiving turn by turn instructions, it will split screen on you.. otherwise you can enjoy single screen mode.
Old 05-29-18, 06:47 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I believe that the purpose of the Map Mode setting is to allow you to simultaneously view the map on one side of the screen while viewing radio and/or climate control information on the other side of the screen. But I don't think that it has anything to do with the upcoming exit information that displays on the right side of the map screen when you are driving on a freeway/toll road.

Oh, Gotcha. Yea, I don't think there is a way to disable that.
Old 05-29-18, 01:56 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

When driving on a limited access highway, I actually find the information about upcoming exits to be very useful. On such limited access roads, every mile can look much the same, and the information about upcoming exits helps me to orient myself and know where I am, and it also provides an alert as to when I'm getting close to my exit.
Old 05-29-18, 08:48 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by john341
Thanks. I checked this setting. Single map mode was already on. I switched in between dual mode, compass, and single map mode, just to make sure single map mode was on.

I don't think this will change anything, though.

I'm not going to go on the freeway for a few weeks, so we'll have to wait to see if it did anything.
Old 05-29-18, 08:50 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

What does Route Trace do? How can you see the trace of the route?

Does it color the route yellow?
Old 05-30-18, 03:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It can be turned off.

1. Click the List icon on the map screen (looks like three horizontal lines).
2. Select Map Mode.
3. Deselect Freeway Exit List

In the past, to turn this off I've had to make this change while actually on the freeway, as that's when it's activated.

What does Route Trace do? How can you see the trace of the route?

Does it color the route yellow?
Route Trace will highlight your past route, so you can retrace it if you so choose. Kind of like bread crumb trails.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (06-09-18)
Old 05-30-18, 03:53 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
It can be turned off.

1. Click the List icon on the map screen (looks like three horizontal lines).
2. Select Map Mode.
3. Deselect Freeway Exit List

In the past, to turn this off I've had to make this change while actually on the freeway, as that's when it's activated.

Route Trace will highlight your past route, so you can retrace it if you so choose. Kind of like bread crumb trails.
Freeway Exit List was already de-selcted for me (grayed out). Yet I still saw the feature, when I posted of this.
Old 05-30-18, 04:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Freeway Exit List was already de-selcted for me (grayed out). Yet I still saw the feature, when I posted of this.
Were you on the freeway when you tried this? Mine is always off unless I’m on the freeway. I had to turn it off while on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Navigation screen splits in half?