Transmission Service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 11:20 PM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Service?

Hey all,

I'm no mechanic but I try to keep up as best as I can with maintenance. I have a 2015 es300h and I was told I do not need to change transmission fluid. I had this problem before, not with a Lexus. So changing transmission fluid is in my head. I notice in the RX300 hybrid also has the same advice from the manual. I have a good friend that bought one used and at just very 100k the transmission crapped out and the vehicle wasn't in good shape so they didn't fix it.

Is this normal? I'm in San Francisco driving up and down hills and also have a long commute. I'm at 60k already and would to at least change the fluid. Any ideas?

Thx!

Emery
Old 06-01-18, 02:56 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,128 Likes on 732 Posts

This subject and what grade of gas is required are the two most debated. We have a 2015 RX450h and a 2017 Es300h. I asked my local Lexus Service Manager who works all day on Lexus's, has been trained on Lexus's and has many years of experience. I will trust him much more than any one on this forum. He will not take my money when I asked him about transmission fluid change. His reply was "could actually cause more harm than good to change".
Old 06-01-18, 06:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

There are threads on this forum that go on and on regarding "change or not change" the tranny fluid. Some are hard liners that want to change at 30k, some at 50k and some at other intervals. The engineers at Lexus, who are probably smarter than most members of this forum regarding the transmission, say that it is not required. My money is on them.

As far as your buddy's car, there will always be exceptions and who knows what was done with the car before he bought it? Do a forum search for loads of posts on this subject.
Meanwhile, keep your money in your pocket and enjoy your Lexus without worrying about a tranny fluid change...
Old 06-01-18, 09:12 AM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
This subject and what grade of gas is required are the two most debated. We have a 2015 RX450h and a 2017 Es300h. I asked my local Lexus Service Manager who works all day on Lexus's, has been trained on Lexus's and has many years of experience. I will trust him much more than any one on this forum. He will not take my money when I asked him about transmission fluid change. His reply was "could actually cause more harm than good to change".
Originally Posted by bc6152
There are threads on this forum that go on and on regarding "change or not change" the tranny fluid. Some are hard liners that want to change at 30k, some at 50k and some at other intervals. The engineers at Lexus, who are probably smarter than most members of this forum regarding the transmission, say that it is not required. My money is on them.

As far as your buddy's car, there will always be exceptions and who knows what was done with the car before he bought it? Do a forum search for loads of posts on this subject.
Meanwhile, keep your money in your pocket and enjoy your Lexus without worrying about a tranny fluid change...
Thats a great point. The RX was used so who knows? Maybe not a good example. But it sounds more like common sense than anything. The engineers made it that way for a reason. I'd say Lexus/Toyota have a pretty good record. 👍. Thx for the feedback
Old 06-01-18, 09:14 AM
UCLABryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
Thx for the feedback. I have to agree with that. I'm sure they know what they are doing! 👍
Old 06-02-18, 04:22 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i know i will get attacked for this post
but
the lexus engineers are smart to engineer the transmission and fluid to last the 70000 miles of the powertrain warranty
after that the lexus dealership service departments, part counters and new car sales need to make money and stay in business
if lexus transmissions are lifetime how come they have so many of them to repair and replace?
Old 06-02-18, 05:47 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I have to say, I like that healthy level of paranoia!
The manual in other countries have a tranny fluid change schedule. So, why not in the U.S.A.?
Conspiracy theories are all over the place in this one.
Old 06-02-18, 05:52 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
but
the lexus engineers are smart to engineer the transmission and fluid to last the 70000 miles of the powertrain warranty
after that the lexus dealership service departments, part counters and new car sales need to make money and stay in business
if lexus transmissions are lifetime how come they have so many of them to repair and replace?
really? ive never personally seen or heard of a person whos had a tranny issue with a toyota.

honda on the other hand....................
Old 06-02-18, 09:55 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe the trans fluid stays magically new forever!
Old 06-03-18, 06:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
but
I would be interested in knowing how and where you obtained this information about defective Lexus transmissions. Please post the source so that other members can view the statistics.
Old 06-03-18, 07:42 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

st1800,
What does the Canada manual say about tranny fluid?
Any other Canadians want to chime in?
Old 06-03-18, 11:31 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My previous car was an Acura and you know that Acura/Honda vehicles need transmission fluid changes every 30k miles or you will be sorry. So I tried hard as possible to make sure I change my transmission fluid for the 2013 ES350. Neither the local Lexus dealership would take my money and neither would the reputable private Japanese car shop in Raleigh, NC. I basically told them that I would "pay whatever for the service." They still refused.

So I gave up and will not change the transmission fluid and just enjoy the car, and make sure I get the other oil changes, tire rotations, air and cabin filters done. I am at 75k miles on my 2013 ES350.
Old 06-03-18, 11:55 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
st1800,
What does the Canada manual say about tranny fluid?
Any other Canadians want to chime in?

this is the only reference in all the manuals.

Transmission and Differential Oil
• Inspect the transmission and differential(s) for signs of leakage. If you discover
any leakage, have it repaired by a qualified technician, immediately.
Old 06-03-18, 01:47 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Thanks, st1800.
I thought I read somewhere that Canada had a set schedule.
Old 06-05-18, 03:44 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
My previous car was an Acura and you know that Acura/Honda vehicles need transmission fluid changes every 30k miles or you will be sorry. So I tried hard as possible to make sure I change my transmission fluid for the 2013 ES350. Neither the local Lexus dealership would take my money and neither would the reputable private Japanese car shop in Raleigh, NC. I basically told them that I would "pay whatever for the service." They still refused.

So I gave up and will not change the transmission fluid and just enjoy the car, and make sure I get the other oil changes, tire rotations, air and cabin filters done. I am at 75k miles on my 2013 ES350.
The proven trend of high RELIABILITY of Toyota will always make me go Toyota/Lexus brands.

Quick Reply: Transmission Service?