ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Gen 7 vs Gen 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 09:51 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Gen 7 vs Gen 6

Have you folks seen the comparison videos of the Gen 7 vs Gen 6?

The front looks more interesting and the sides certainly are not as bland as the Gen 6. I’d say the front and sides definitely look better.

IMO the back of Gen 6 definitely looks prettier and Lexus like. Gen 7 reminds me of Malibu’s or Genesis’s tail lights. Definitely a step down.

IMO the steering and dash of the Gen 6 were drop dead gorgeous back in 2013 when they came out and and were a big factor in why I bought a ‘14. And IMO there are very few dashboards even now that come close. The Gen 5 dashboards were horrible with all the oval shapes. That is why I did not get a Gen 5. The Gen 7 dash looks like that out of an Avalon, i.e. a train wreck.

IMO the Gen 6 steering wheels, especially with the wood are pieces of art and nothing comes close to them. The Gen 7 screams Toyota. What a letdown. 😔

The Gen 7 is wider and that certainly makes it look nicer and more planted. Not sure if the lower stance will be liked by many customers as America has an SUV obsession for now.

I am am not sure I want to trade in my Gen 6 yet. The dealer keeps sending emails to trade it in, but the rear end, dash and steering of the Gen 7 just kill the mojo for me.

what do you think?

Now I am 59 years old 😩. Do you think I just don’t get it and I am ready for an old Buick ?

The following users liked this post:
jollick (06-05-18)
Old 06-04-18, 10:15 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with your comments in general. I think the exterior of the 7 looks better in general than the 6 - although I’m not keen on the whole F sport theme. I find it a bit garish.
The dashboard looks too plain to me, yes the old one looks aged now, but at least it has a bit of a luxury feel to it. The new one doesn’t.
I always felt the 6 has a bit of a Jaguar interior, nice wood and a bit of a “living room feel” to it. The new one seems to place more emphasis on the design being colder and focused on technology.
I will hold my final verdict until I can see the new model’s interior in a few different colours and NOT f sport!
The following users liked this post:
PAcommuter (06-08-18)
Old 06-05-18, 05:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by zes

I am am not sure I want to trade in my Gen 6 yet. The dealer keeps sending emails to trade it in, but the rear end, dash and steering of the Gen 7 just kill the mojo for me.

what do you think?
He wants you to trade it in for a 2018. The gen 7 won't be in showrooms until around Sept it seems. If you like your current car, why even think about it?
Old 06-05-18, 07:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The 6th gen E had a very good run for six model years. It's time for a new generation and should be well received even with the continued growth of CUV's and SUV's. Whether the new ES attracts a younger buyer remains to be seen, but it seems like it will to a certain extent.
Old 06-05-18, 07:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

Can't wait for September to put my money down on a NEW Executive Sedan... Ultra Lux edition painted Atomic Silver...
Old 06-05-18, 12:57 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>The dashboard looks too plain to me, yes the old one looks aged now, but at least it has a bit of a luxury feel to it. The new one doesn’t.
I agree, the interior of a car is much more important to me than the exterior. A rich interior is what's called for in a car like an ES 350.
Unfortunately, the new one doesn't have the same appeal to me. So I'm not sure what I'll look at when my current one needs to be replaced (an Acura TLX, perhaps).
Old 06-05-18, 02:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>The dashboard looks too plain to me, yes the old one looks aged now, but at least it has a bit of a luxury feel to it. The new one doesn’t.
I agree, the interior of a car is much more important to me than the exterior. A rich interior is what's called for in a car like an ES 350.
Unfortunately, the new one doesn't have the same appeal to me. So I'm not sure what I'll look at when my current one needs to be replaced (an Acura TLX, perhaps).
Have you looked at the new Avalon? The interior has a different look to it. I haven't seen one in person yet but it looks interesting.
Old 06-05-18, 02:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

While I like the more sculptured sides that the 2019 ES will have, I also appreciate the clean look of the sides of the Generation 6 ES.

What I don't like about the 2019 ES exterior is that Lexus has continued its trend of making the front of the car have an even more aggressive look. I didn't like the change to the grille that came with the 2016 re-fresh of the Generation 6 ES, and I like the look of the front of the 2019 ES even less.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not a fan of the dash in the 2019 ES. While the bigger navigation screen is nice, I like the placement of the screen in the alcove that is shielded from the sunlight in the Generation 6 ES. Also, on the 2019, the placement of the clock looks awkward, and the 2 stalks coming out of each side of the instrument cluster just look weird and out of place. As others have said, I would hope that the non-F Sport version has a "more mature" interior look.

Additionally, I was not thrilled to see that the 2019 ES will be bigger, wider, and lower than the Generation 6 ES, which, for my tastes, is about the perfect size for a car of this type. It appears that part of the lowered stance will come from slightly less ground clearance and some will come from less headroom. My preference would be for neither less ground clearance nor less headroom.

For me, what might be the most appealing factors with the 2019 ES are technology improvements.

All of that said, I'm sure that the opinions of many Generation 6 owners, including my thoughts, are influenced by a confirmation bias that makes us want to feel that our cars are still just as good as the Generation 7 ES will be, and I'm confident that the 2019 ES will appeal to many buyers. While I am not likely to buy a 2019 ES, there is a good chance that I will buy a Generation 7 ES somewhere down the road. The most likely time for me to do so will be after the mid-cycle re-fresh, likely with the 2022 model year. I'm sure that Lexus will be holding back some nice improvements for that mid-cycle refresh. Further, while it is unlikely that there will be significant discounts available initially with the 2019 ES, by the time of the mid-cycle refresh, I'm sure that attractive discounts will be offered.
Old 06-05-18, 02:39 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed with most of you...I'm more of an interior guy myself as that is where I spend my time. My initial three setbacks to the 2019 are:
a) While the new interior isn't too bad, I really dislike "pop up" displays. Wave a hand the wrong direction, bump it with some lumber I'm carrying home or skis or whatever. It's just waiting to get knocked off and I'm sure it won't be cheap to fix. That turned me off the Audi A4 years ago...which I was considering.
b) Wide screens are nice, but what about a taller screen. Ever try driving SOUTH on the map and trying to get more than 1/2" of map in front of your car on the nav screen? I know you can change to ownship-up but that changes the map from "normal" map mode and still isn't very much. Oh, and the current Nav Screen shows the street name on the bottom limiting your view even more. (Perhaps my biggest gripe of the 2014.)
c) I'm getting tired of the shifter paddles as "sporty". Only cars doing 200 MPH on a oval need that. I really enjoy the manumatic (I grew up on manual) but give me shifting on the stick. Every try changing gears up/down with one hand? You can't. Try changing gears with your hands at 10/2 instead of 9/3...you can't. What about turning a corner...you can't change gears unless you are straight? (Not safely, at least.) All the paddle shifters are good for are to downshift and pass on a highway, which makes them useless, otherwise. I can be much more aggressive in my 2014 with the shifter on the stick, shifting when I want/need to and controlling the car more easily. In addition, with electronic transmissions, why can't they just have both options?

My two cents.
Thanks!

But for Lexus sake, I do hope it sells well. I'm looking at replacing my 2014 (which I enjoy very much) with a 2025 Gen 8.... =)
The following 2 users liked this post by Kijug:
BSoulMan (06-22-18), PAcommuter (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 12:49 PM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Biggest reason to upgrade a gen 6 to 7 would be 1) If you like the new exterior 2) Apple car play 3) better safety system.

Otherwise I'd keep the 6 gen for a while longer.

BTW the 7th gen steering wheel is from the new LS... which is top quality.
Old 06-11-18, 11:14 AM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the fact that the car got bigger. I don't think ES needed to get any bigger than the current gen. If anything, I wouldn't have minded a smaller/lighter car. The ***** on top of the dashboard is pretty hideous and distracting, it passed down from LS and I have a feeling Lexus will continue that trend with other future models. I had an opportunity to rent a car with apple/android auto for 7 days while I was in California. While apple car play and android auto was nice, the fact that it had to be plugged in to work and its still very counter intuitive to use. I wasn't fan of it at all. I would still use magnet mount and use phone for navigation even with Apple/Android auto its just easier and faster that way.