ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rodent chewing up air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 10:09 AM
digitalnrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rodent chewing up air filter

Anyone ever had this problem? I heard some clicking noise in my AC lately and bought it in to check out, only to find out rodent already chewed up my air filter and it's getting into the motor. It's hard to believe since I bought a used 2014 just a month ago. My previous MB C300 was parked at the same drive way spot for years and never had a problem. My car is CPO but they said they changed a brand new filter as part of their certification process so they will not cover as warranty. Any suggestion how to stop these little monsters to come back building a new nest?
Old 06-15-18, 10:34 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

See the thread that I started a few weeks ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...the-house.html
Old 06-15-18, 10:53 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalnrg
Anyone ever had this problem? I heard some clicking noise in my AC lately and bought it in to check out, only to find out rodent already chewed up my air filter and it's getting into the motor. It's hard to believe since I bought a used 2014 just a month ago. My previous MB C300 was parked at the same drive way spot for years and never had a problem. My car is CPO but they said they changed a brand new filter as part of their certification process so they will not cover as warranty. Any suggestion how to stop these little monsters to come back building a new nest?

I wish i had an answer for you. I currently own a lexus and toyota 4 runner.. last year I had pulled the 4 runner out of the garage so I could get my lawn equipment out... later that night I went to put the 4 runner back in the garage and when i fired her up, she was barely running... just vibrating and running really rough... next day took it to my mechanic.. couldn't drive it over 30 to 40 mph because the vibration was so rough.. it felt as if the car had jumped time... anyway my mechanic called me later in the day and said that a rodent had gotten up on the motor and chewed thru an injector pigtail... He took a picture of what appeared to be a mouse / rat turd down in one of the recessed areas on the engine... I put mouse traps all around the inside of my garage but never saw any signs of any.. also no more issues with mice or rodents ( well, with the exception of squirrels, but that's another story ).

Roland
Old 06-17-18, 10:32 AM
digitalnrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you gents. Lexus was nice enough and took care of the problem. I bought some rodent spray bottle and spray it all around the tire each night as well as around the engine bay each night when i come home now. I also lift up the hood and let it cool down as well. hopefully they wont come back.
Old 06-17-18, 12:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

You might also look for a few spots in the engine compartment that are away from heat and moving parts. Then, in those spots, place fabric softener dryer sheets or a mesh bag filled with moth *****. You can secure the fabric softener sheets or moth ***** to something in the engine compartment with cable ties. Both the fabric softener sheets and the moth ***** should make it less likely that the mice will want to be anywhere close to them.