ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Where is everyone servicing your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 07:50 AM
thekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
One of your earlier posts a few months ago said you purchased Certified 2016 ES 350 with 17k on the dial. How could it possibly need new tires?
Exactly. When I told him that doesn't make sense, he said that I might be able to go until the next service to change them but I just have to keep a close eye on it. Ridiculous.
Old 06-28-18, 09:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by thekopp
Exactly. When I told him that doesn't make sense, he said that I might be able to go until the next service to change them but I just have to keep a close eye on it. Ridiculous.
For a few dollars, at any auto parts store, you can get a tread depth gauge and measure the tread yourself in a few seconds.

In most states, tires are legal when they still have 2/32" of tread left, but I would be thinking of replacing tires when the remaining tread gets down to around 4/32".

For Lexus CPO certification, tires need to have at least 5/32". If yours are much lower than that now, they probably should have been replaced before the car could be certified.
Old 06-28-18, 10:09 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Since the drivetrain warranty goes until 70k miles, I personally think its worth doing the occasional oil change at the dealer in case there's ever an issue until that's expired. If you ever have say an engine issue and your service history is a bunch of visits to Jiffy Lube, you're going to get some pushback before they give you a new engine.

But I actually do a lot of service on my vehicles myself, I have my own car lift and an extensive amount of tools. I used to always have a vintage car to wrench on.

But when it's something I don't want to tackle, I usually call the Lexus dealer and get a quote, and then get a quote from a few independent service shops I've used and then go from there. Sometimes the dealer is close enough in price that it's worth it and the "free" loaner makes things a lot easier.
Old 06-28-18, 10:15 AM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once a year I get an email from the Lexus dealership with a $35 offer for a full synthetic oil change. That is the only time I take my Lexus there. Otherwise I always go to the Toyota dealership or a local independent shop that services Lexus. They are always less than half the cost of the Lexus dealership. My cousin is a mechanic in the Air Force. When he's not abroad he works at a local mechanic shop. He has worked many years in both a Lexus and Toyota dealership. He was actually the lead mechanic at his Lexus dealership for some time, so he definitely knows the ins and outs when it comes to servicing a Lexus. He was the one who told me to just go to the Toyota dealership for all services because they use the exact same stuff (95% of the time) as the Lexus dealership.

With that said, I mainly take my Lexus there for oil changes. I try to do the rest myself, such as topping off fluids, changing the air filters, etc. I look at YouTube or online videos for that kind of stuff. I bought my tires at Discount Tire so they offer free tire balance and rotations. My cousin also showed me how to change stuff like spark plugs and headlights. Surprisingly, it's not that difficult at all. Just watch some of the videos online, but of course that's something depending on your comfort level. If there's a service I need that I can't do myself, I'll take it to the Lexus or Toyota dealership to see what the issue is and get a quote. Then I'll use Yelp to contact a bunch of the local independent shops that service Lexus (only the ones that have gotten very good ratings/reviews) and get quotes from them, and then go from there.

Last edited by v27patel; 06-28-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 05:34 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

It is easy. Takes 15 minutes start to finish... I spin the cartridge holder off completely and just change the "O" ring and cartridge. Drain the pan and refill it.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-07-18, 10:33 AM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I get that doing your own maintenance is not everyone's cup of tea, but the amount of money saved over time on this can be significant. Some folks prefer the convenience and peace of mind of getting it done at the dealership and that's fine, but once you cross over to doing some basic maintenance on your own, you realize the amount of money the dealership's been asking for basic things like an oil change and tire rotation is a bit much. For example a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 or Pennzoil 0W-20 oil runs about $25 - $30. Add another 2 qts since the ES takes about 6.4 qts and still you're at $35 - $40. Couple this with a high end $12 Mobil 1 filter and your cost is about $47 - $52 for an oil change. Invest $125 or so in a battery powered impact wrench and tire rotations are easy peasy (or it's free at discount tire once the OEM tires are replaced)
Old 08-12-18, 06:56 AM
danj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just had our first (20k) service performed at our local Lexus dealer. I was surprised at the cost ($500). Is this typical cost for the 10k/20k/30k maintenance on this vehicle (2016 ES 350)? That seems high to me. I do intend to take my Lexus to the local Lexus dealer for maintenance.... For one near-in-the-future example--Lexus stated the next maintenance we need to do is to rotate the tires. I think they quoted $160. That is REALLY high. I am thinking I could have a local indy tire shop do that for like $20.... Now that might be an example of work that I do NOT have done at Lexus..... Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-18, 07:40 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by danj
We just had our first (20k) service performed at our local Lexus dealer. I was surprised at the cost ($500). Is this typical cost for the 10k/20k/30k maintenance on this vehicle (2016 ES 350)? That seems high to me. I do intend to take my Lexus to the local Lexus dealer for maintenance.... For one near-in-the-future example--Lexus stated the next maintenance we need to do is to rotate the tires. I think they quoted $160. That is REALLY high. I am thinking I could have a local indy tire shop do that for like $20.... Now that might be an example of work that I do NOT have done at Lexus..... Thanks in advance.
My dealership is the same way. Most of those costs are labor fees. You will find there are not many parts/fluids that need to replaced on this car.

I understand getting quality work done at the dealership, but this is highway robbery. $160 for a tire rotation and "inspect this and that!" Ridiculous.
Old 08-12-18, 11:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

You wuz robbed... Next time tell the service writer that you were born at night - but not last night. You got taken...
Old 08-13-18, 05:20 AM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As already stated above, there is VERY LITTLE to do on these cars. Example: I bought a new ES 350 in 2008. I still have the car, now with 210,000+ miles on it. It has NEVER been back to the dealer for anything. My local garage changed the oil, brakes, tires etc. as needed. I bought this car because of its reliability and it has met my expectations!

By the way, an oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic cost $75.00. Tire rotations are an extra $10 bucks!
Old 08-13-18, 06:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by WNC
Tire rotations are an extra $10 bucks!
I like free better. Discount Tire rotates tires free of charge, even if you didn't buy them there.
Old 08-13-18, 08:11 AM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I like free better. Discount Tire rotates tires free of charge, even if you didn't buy them there.
Well, being that I live 100 miles from the closest Discount Tire, that would be a 200 mile round trip at 30 mpg. 7 gallons of fuel at $2.50 per gallon = $ 17.50 in fuel alone. I’m already in the hole!! 😂

Guess I’m gonna have to keep paying the $10 bucks! (however, the first two rotations are free when I purchase new tires).

At least we’re not stuck with the $160.00 dealer price!!
Old 08-13-18, 10:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Well I can say that I've never seen anyone want to charge $160.00 for switching tires around. That, and $500.00 for 20k service and I'd be looking for another place to service my vehicle.
These prices are really off the chart. I think that this is taking advantage of those that wish to stay with dealer services.
Old 08-13-18, 02:12 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 159 Posts

There is something wrong with $500 for a 20,000 mile service. The 20k service on my 2013 ES300h was $118 and the 40k was $123. both at my Lexus dealer.
The 30k service is a bit more involved among other items, replacing all the filters and the brake fluid. That was $436 with a 10% off coupon.

​​​​​​​
Old 08-29-18, 05:05 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Are you saying a Toyota dealership wouldn't give you that same "peace of mind"? That said, I now do my own oil changes and take my ES to Discount Tire for free tire rotations. There's not really much else you can't do yourself, like filter replacements. The rest is mostly dealer profit items, so I just skip them. My wife's Honda is 8 years old and has had nothing done but what I mentioned above. Wear items, like brakes, are different, though.
What do you have to do to get free tire rotations?

Quick Reply: Where is everyone servicing your ES?