ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Radio Song Titles Don't Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 10:36 PM
lmcland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio Song Titles Don't Update

I am having a strange issue with my 2015 ES300h. The radio station's song titles don't always update on the radio. It continues to show the previous song's title through the next song. When the announcers come on, it doesn't update either. It still shows the previous song's information through them talking. It is happening on FM radio stations and it happens at least once a day. It is driving me crazy! Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 06-21-18, 02:16 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Does this happen with all the stations? I suspect it is the radio station. The car radio scans the frequency on occasion and the radio station sends the information over the frequency on occasion, and then the car updates. It would be impossible for the car software to stop doing what it is doing. I've had song titles take up to a minute to display into the song, so I guess I'm with you but never gave it any thought. You'd probably have to check with other car manufacturers to see if/how other radios work. The car cannot display the information if the station doesn't send it over the airwaves.
Old 06-23-18, 07:19 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Agreed. I believe I t is the radio station. Sometimes they don’t enter the information. I suspect they use interns and perhaps they just don’t have them available for all shifts or they take coffe breaks. That’s just my wild guess and I don’t have any actual knowledge of how it works - simply based on the patterns I have observed with our usual station.
Old 06-25-18, 01:47 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't mean to deviate from the op's thread, but this topic reminded me of something that I thought was kind of funny. Several years ago my wife and I are on vacation, we picked up a rental car at the airport.. Now remember this is at a time when the technology for displaying song titles and artists was pretty new.. Years and years ago I worked in radio and I always took pride on knowing who sang it, when it was recorded, etc etc.. my wife.. not even close. Unless it was Garth Brooks or a huge country star she had no clue. So anyway as were headed down the highway a song came on and I said " what's the name of the song / who sings it? she says she doesn't know and I said think about it..then I sweetened the pot by saying I'll give you $20 bucks if you get it... I'll be damned if she didn't get it.. Next song, I try the same thing.. same result... this goes on for about 30 minutes and I can't figure out what the heck is going on, and now I'm in the hole to the tune ( no pun intended ) of $140 bucks... and I cannot figure out how the hell she got so educated on music... then I catch her looking down at the display...And there is was... Lord, I had been had.... and YES she made me pay up the $140.00
Old 06-25-18, 05:32 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,304 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I don't mean to deviate from the op's thread, but this topic reminded me of something that I thought was kind of funny. Several years ago my wife and I are on vacation, we picked up a rental car at the airport.. Now remember this is at a time when the technology for displaying song titles and artists was pretty new.. Years and years ago I worked in radio and I always took pride on knowing who sang it, when it was recorded, etc etc.. my wife.. not even close. Unless it was Garth Brooks or a huge country star she had no clue. So anyway as were headed down the highway a song came on and I said " what's the name of the song / who sings it? she says she doesn't know and I said think about it..then I sweetened the pot by saying I'll give you $20 bucks if you get it... I'll be damned if she didn't get it.. Next song, I try the same thing.. same result... this goes on for about 30 minutes and I can't figure out what the heck is going on, and now I'm in the hole to the tune ( no pun intended ) of $140 bucks... and I cannot figure out how the hell she got so educated on music... then I catch her looking down at the display...And there is was... Lord, I had been had.... and YES she made me pay up the $140.00
Great post Poppa. She got you good...