ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Fuel Induction Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18 | 11:35 AM
keshwar
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Induction Service

I have a 2013 ES with 55K on it. Do I need to have a Fuel Induction Service on it done now as the dealer is recommending it?
Old 07-24-18 | 01:31 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keshwar
I have a 2013 ES with 55K on it. Do I need to have a Fuel Induction Service on it done now as the dealer is recommending it?
I had never heard of this service until now so I Googled it and found some of these comments:

When should I get my fuel system and intake valves cleaned?

It’s a good idea to take your vehicle to your trusted auto repair shop to see if it could benefit from a fuel system and intake valve cleaning if you notice the following:
  • Slower pickup when you step on your gas pedal
  • Shaking or vibrating while your car is in idle
  • Lower fuel efficiency
  • A rougher ride than usual

Watch out for fuel induction services from the dealerships!

Sometimes the big dealerships will encourage you to get a fuel system cleaning as low as 30,000 miles. Make sure you refer to your vehicle’s owners manual to see what the manufacturer recommends, or find an independent auto repair shop to take a look at your engine for you if you have any questions or concerns. They will be able to tell you if there is enough carbon and deposit buildup in your engine to warrant getting the fuel induction service performed.

To me it sounds like a dealer add-on to generate service sales. If none of the conditions above apply, I would pass and simply add a can of Chevron Techron fuel injector and valve cleaner for $12.99. Can't hurt... Use it on my 20 year old Corvette all the time...

Old 07-24-18 | 02:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
I would pass and simply add a can of Chevron Techron fuel injector and valve cleaner for $12.99. Can't hurt... Use it on my 20 year old Corvette all the time...
I could be mistaken, but I am not sure that the engine/injector cleaning services that dealers sell for a couple of hundred dollars are anything more than adding something similar to the Chevron Techron product to the gas tank.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickAz (08-28-20)
Old 07-24-18 | 02:47 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Not in the recommended maintenance according to the manual. Therefore, I don't do it. Cash grab for dealership.
PatrickAz (08-28-20)
Old 07-25-18 | 04:20 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

I don't know that this car utilizes direct-injection fuel delivery (e.g. fuel delivery directly into combustion chamber), however my 2013 VW CC is this way and requires this kind of service when the symptoms mentioned in the previous post arise (from the VW forum, I see this is anywhere from 60k miles onward for the first service). The direct injection method does not have the benefit of fuel "washing" over the intake valve surface to keep the valve cleaner as with non-direct injection (e.g. port injection, etc), hence resulting in carbon build-up and other deposits that need to be removed with this type of service.

Last edited by mrsteve7; 07-25-18 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-18 | 10:11 AM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

I drive a 2013 ES also w/ 90k on it. It's a cash grab by the dealer for sure, but doesn't mean it's not beneficial to your car. It's always a good idea to keep your fuel systems clean and lubricated, but not at the dealership cost. Nowadays most of the major brands of gas stations include some sort of fuel treatment in their gas (Exxon, Shell, Texaco, Chevron, etc.). But many don't. I buy the Lucas Fuel Treatment. One gallon of that is about $20-25 at Wal-Mart. I pour it into my gas tank at their recommended amount once a month during fill ups (I normally fill up weekly). Some people use it every time they fill up, others do it every 2-3 months. That gallon should last you a year or more, depending on how often you use it.
Old 07-28-18 | 05:48 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

I’m with the other replies here as well. Just grab one of the bottles of fuel injector cleans, use as recommended, and be happy. The engine in your vehicle isn’t direct injection so shouldn’t need this service, not that it wouldn’t be beneficial at some point and mileage, just not this soon. I personally use Amsoil performance improver.
Old 07-28-18 | 04:37 PM
autotech13
Advanced

If you use a top tier gasoline, then you don't need any other fuel additive.
Old 07-28-18 | 07:25 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by autotech13
If you use a top tier gasoline, then you don't need any other fuel additive.
Exactly. Avoid no name bottom of the barrel gasoline's and stick with the top tier.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

st1800 (07-29-18)
Old 08-26-20 | 03:18 PM
SpaceGravy
Driver School Candidate

Nope. You didn't say how your vehicle is performing but assuming it's running as it always has, that's just Lexus of Rockville or Silver Spring trying to gouge you. A little tip - if you want to get your vehicle serviced by the dealer, try taking your vehicle to a Toyota dealer...they do great work and tend to not try to sell you the extras that the L-dealerships do.
Old 08-27-20 | 07:01 PM
uncle
Driver

I agree with the earlier posts. Most gas additives are Techron or a variance of Techron made by and at the same refinery. Run Chevron gas and you get it for free. Or buy a bottle and add it to your fuel every six months.
Poppa (08-28-20)
Old 08-28-20 | 12:53 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by uncle
I agree with the earlier posts. Most gas additives are Techron or a variance of Techron made by and at the same refinery. Run Chevron gas and you get it for free. Or buy a bottle and add it to your fuel every six months.
I agree... 99% of the time I only use Texaco or Chevron fuels. Both have techron. I became a believer in this stuff years ago... my old junker that I drove to and from work was an old Thunderbird with a V8. I had spark knock like you wouldn't believe. I tried retarding the timing, didn't help, took it to a ford dealership and had them tune it... better but still a lot of spark knock. Then one day I saw a commercial for Texaco with Techron and they said if you're car's experiencing spark knock, try their fuel and give them 5 tanks of fuel for it to do it's thing. After just one tank of Texaco the spark knock was gone, I mean absolutely gone. Now I'm not a mechanic and I don't know how or why switching to Texaco or Chevron worked, but I do know it worked. Been using it ever since and I don't fool with fuel system additives other than the techron that is already in the fuel at the pump.

Roland
Old 08-28-20 | 07:43 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

As others have said using a top-tier gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco or Shell should be all you need to keep your car running clean. My use is predominantly Shell due to its plethora of locations in my area. On occasion I may have to run a tankful of Murphy or another off-brand but even then there is no noticeable difference in performance as long as it is only occasional. The cleaning offered by the dealer is only an attempt to pad its pockets.
Poppa (08-29-20)