ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

SPORT mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 07:41 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SPORT mode

Good morning all...I have recently driven a number of new Lexus vehicles and "sampled" some in the SPORT driving mode (as opposed to NORMAL or ECONOMY)...my question is if driving in the SPORT mode will result in any loss of economy (MPG) if my driving is otherwise the same as it would be in the NORMAL mode? Thanks.
Old 08-05-18, 09:25 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Technically, you'll spend more MPG. The reason is that, during acceleration, SPORT mode will keep the gear lower and higher RPMs and hence use more fuel until you get to a stable speed. You'd have to be very easy on the pedal to prevent SPORT mode from holding the gear, unlike NORMAL that will change gears more quickly. However, pressing hard on the pedal in NORMAL mode will kind of do the same thing.

So long as you accelerate in a moderate/normal manner, the MPG savings are near zero. However, in ECO mode the AC system is cut back a little so ECO helps save MPG by lower acceleration and lower AC (energy) usage.

I drive in SPORT mode for a few weeks, then back to normal for a few weeks, just to keep things changing. I only use ECO when I'm on a road trip. A few years ago I drove in ECO for a month "normally" and my estimate was just under 1.5 MPG savings--it was noticeable. I tried to not accelerate too much, etc., and just drive "average" so I could do a quasi-unscientific test.

For what it's worth. Have fun!
The following users liked this post:
darrylbond (08-31-18)
Old 08-06-18, 12:54 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
Technically, you'll spend more MPG. The reason is that, during acceleration, SPORT mode will keep the gear lower and higher RPMs and hence use more fuel until you get to a stable speed. You'd have to be very easy on the pedal to prevent SPORT mode from holding the gear, unlike NORMAL that will change gears more quickly. However, pressing hard on the pedal in NORMAL mode will kind of do the same thing.

So long as you accelerate in a moderate/normal manner, the MPG savings are near zero. However, in ECO mode the AC system is cut back a little so ECO helps save MPG by lower acceleration and lower AC (energy) usage.

I drive in SPORT mode for a few weeks, then back to normal for a few weeks, just to keep things changing. I only use ECO when I'm on a road trip. A few years ago I drove in ECO for a month "normally" and my estimate was just under 1.5 MPG savings--it was noticeable. I tried to not accelerate too much, etc., and just drive "average" so I could do a quasi-unscientific test.

Kijug.. good explenation of the different driving modes.. Myself, I drive in "normal " mode 95% of the time, the other 5% I switch to "sport"... but thats only because I like the look of the "red" lit dash LOL.
Old 08-06-18, 07:47 AM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eolafan
Good morning all...I have recently driven a number of new Lexus vehicles and "sampled" some in the SPORT driving mode (as opposed to NORMAL or ECONOMY)...my question is if driving in the SPORT mode will result in any loss of economy (MPG) if my driving is otherwise the same as it would be in the NORMAL mode? Thanks.
I drive a 2013 ES350, and in my driving experience it does make a difference. I tested out each mode on my car for 2 months at a time to see if the MPG made any difference. I tried to keep everything the same during those months (how I drove my car, where I went, etc.) so I could get as close to an accurate result as possible. I'd record my MPG each time before I filled up and then averaged them out. I ended up with these results: Eco - 31.5; Normal - 30.3; Sport - 29.6. A lot of it is dependent on the car and driver, but in my case I did see a difference in MPG when keeping the driving conditions the same.
landonm86 (09-01-21)
Old 08-06-18, 09:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug

I agree with everything in the post that I quoted. I believe that the main factor leading to lower mpg in Sport mode is that the transmission, in Sport mode, holds lower and less fuel efficient gears longer before shifting into a higher gear.

While I'm sure that if you were to drive aggressively in Eco mode, you could end up with fuel economy similar to or even worse than in Sport mode, if you drove in the same manner regardless of the mode, I'd expect a difference of a couple of mpg between the Eco and Sport modes.

Originally Posted by Poppa
Kijug.. good explenation of the different driving modes.. Myself, I drive in "normal " mode 95% of the time, the other 5% I switch to "sport"... but thats only because I like the look of the "red" lit dash LOL.
One of the things that I like about the Eco mode is that I find the blue lighting on the instrument display to be calming.

Old 08-06-18, 11:12 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by v27patel
I drive a 2013 ES350, and in my driving experience it does make a difference. I tested out each mode on my car for 2 months at a time to see if the MPG made any difference. I tried to keep everything the same during those months (how I drove my car, where I went, etc.) so I could get as close to an accurate result as possible. I'd record my MPG each time before I filled up and then averaged them out. I ended up with these results: Eco - 31.5; Normal - 30.3; Sport - 29.6. A lot of it is dependent on the car and driver, but in my case I did see a difference in MPG when keeping the driving conditions the same.
How do you get 30+ mpg on the ES350? I drive the hybrid and I usually get 35-40 mpg in normal town driving, 45 mpg if I'm careful.
Old 08-07-18, 02:12 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by chromedome
How do you get 30+ mpg on the ES350? I drive the hybrid and I usually get 35-40 mpg in normal town driving, 45 mpg if I'm careful.
I can't speak for anyone else but that's just what it is.... The last time I drove from Louisiana to Missouri ( 625 miles each way ) the computer showed that I was averaging about 32 mpg... at one point it actually showed 32.5, but that was only there for a bit then fell back to 32.. that was driving an avg. of 74 mph... actually about the worse mpg I get is still around 30 on the hiway..

Roland
Old 08-07-18, 04:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

I can get over 30mpg's if it's all highway driving.
Old 08-07-18, 05:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Fuel economy can vary widely depending largely on 2 factors, how you drive and where you drive.

I live out in the country, and very little of my driving is done in stop-and-go conditions. Also, my driving style is quite conservative, especially when compared to the more aggressive driving style that I might have used 25 years ago.

I've had a 2013 ES 350 and a 2017 ES 350, With where I drive and how I drive, my typical mpg varies between 30 mpg and 33 mpg (actually calculated at the time of each fuel fill-up). On some trips on flat terrain and with minimal need to stop, I've hit as high as 34-36 mpg.

Curiously, the mpg with my 2017 ES has been about 1 mpg lower than it was with the 2013 ES that I had for 3 1/2 years. I suspect that the slightly lower fuel economy with the 2017 is the result of two factors. First, the 2017 has the all glass pano roof, which the 2013 did not have. The pano roof likely adds to the total vehicle weight. Also, the 2017 has more options/features, including the various safety features, that likely require some power and, thus, marginally lower mpg.
Old 08-07-18, 08:02 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I call that pursuit mode.
Poppa (11-08-19)
Old 08-07-18, 10:57 AM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

It's probably the way I drive. As my wife tells me, I drive like a boring grandpa, lol. Most of my driving is highway, maybe 75% highway, 25% city. I'm not an aggressive driver the least bit. I don't accelerate really fast and I use my brakes as little as possible. I try to keep a good distance between me and the car in front. If there's stopped traffic ahead or I'm approaching a red light, I usually take my foot off the gas and just coast until I have to apply the brakes. I know it's silly, but that's how I drive. I bought the ES because of the smooth and silent ride. I'd have gone with a sportier car if my driving style was different. I also drive in Eco mode all the time. I used to be able to get around 32+MPG. A few years ago the speed limit on Dallas highways was either 55 or 60, which was the ideal speed to get the most MPG out of the car. Now it's mainly 70 everywhere. If I were to drive below 70 on the highway, I'd be getting people passing by honking or giving me the finger. Dallas, IMO, has the craziest drivers. They always seem to be in a rush.

Last edited by v27patel; 08-07-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 06:38 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I use the Sport mode just for the heavier steering feel. I believe the electric power steering is "downgraded" during Sport mode. I don't like the super easy and light steering of Normal and Eco modes. I prefer heavier weighted steering like a sports sedan.
Old 08-08-18, 09:39 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
I use the Sport mode just for the heavier steering feel. I believe the electric power steering is "downgraded" during Sport mode. I don't like the super easy and light steering of Normal and Eco modes. I prefer heavier weighted steering like a sports sedan.
does steering get heavier?
Old 08-09-18, 12:38 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamestpc
Can't say that I've noticed that. I'll try and remember to put it in sport mode tomorrow and see if I feel any difference.

Roland
Old 08-09-18, 04:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestpc
Yes, it should be very obvious.
darrylbond (08-31-18)

Quick Reply: SPORT mode