ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What is the difference between these services performed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18 | 10:36 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Default What is the difference between these services performed?

Why the $30 higher price for the 2nd one? The first one seemed to include a tire rotation too, which I'm not sure was done in the 2nd one.

This was taken from the dealer's history of my service, on their website.

I can post a more details, taken from Lexus Drivers, if necessary.

February 20th, 2016

Service Performed for 2013 Lexus ES350 - $79.95
REPLACE KEY BATTERY. OIL AND FILTER SERVICE * REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACE DRAIN PLUG GASKET, CHECK FLUID LEVELS, INSPECT TIRES, RE-SET TIRE PRESSURES, AND PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH.. PERFORM TIRE ROTATION (FRONT TO REAR INCLUDING SET TIRE PSI). MULTI POINT INSPECTION.

November 22nd, 2016

Service Performed for 2013 Lexus ES350 - $109.95
PER CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS - TO REDUCE GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS - ALL VEHICLES TO BE INSPECTED FOR UNDER INFLATED TIRE PRESSURES: R/F __ L/F __ R/R __ L/R __. RESET ALL TIRE PRESSURES TO __ PSI.. OIL AND FILTER SERVICE * REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACE DRAIN PLUG GASKET, CHECK FLUID LEVELS, INSPECT TIRES, RE-SET TIRE PRESSURES, AND PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH.. PER FACTORY RECOMMENDATION - SYNTHETIC OIL USED FOR THIS SERVICE.. COMPLIMENTARY 27 POINT INSPECTION.
Old 08-11-18 | 11:16 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Did they use synthetic oil the first time? Your ticket dose not show that they did.
Old 08-11-18 | 11:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

This is a good question. The first service also included a key fob battery which you didn't get in the second along with a tire rotation... Go ask for a $30.00 refund...
Old 08-11-18 | 11:22 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
Did they use synthetic oil the first time? Your ticket dose not show that they did.
They should be using NOTHING BUT synthetic oil all the time....
Old 08-11-18 | 12:20 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
They should be using NOTHING BUT synthetic oil all the time....
Yes, I think they do use synthetic. Every time I go there they mention that they are.

Old 08-11-18 | 12:22 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
I checked my history.

It says synthetic on 12/3/2014, and 11/22/2016, but not 2/20/2016. I think they just forgot to explicitly write synthetic on 2/20/2016.
Old 08-11-18 | 12:23 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

This is a good question. The first service also included a key fob battery which you didn't get in the second along with a tire rotation... Go ask for a $30.00 refund...
I will ask what the difference is the next time I go there.

It seems like less work (no tire rotation, no key fob battery) but I paid $30 more. Not that I expect a refund, but some reasonable explanation would be nice.
Old 08-11-18 | 01:40 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

If they didn't state synthetic I wouldn't trust they used it.
Old 08-12-18 | 12:43 AM
Poppa
Instructor

You gotta watch yourself at the dealerships... some of them will get ya... I'm not saying all dealerships will, but some do. I've had a car dealership ask me if I wanted to include a rear differential service on a front wheel drive car to a boat dealership charging me 25 bucks for airing up 1 trailer tire... I guess I just look stupid...
Old 08-14-18 | 11:30 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I will ask what the difference is the next time I go there.

It seems like less work (no tire rotation, no key fob battery) but I paid $30 more. Not that I expect a refund, but some reasonable explanation would be nice.
Oh no! I was at the dealer today and forgot to ask them!
Old 08-14-18 | 11:43 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
If they didn't state synthetic I wouldn't trust they used it.
Ok, I called them and asked.

They said in February of 2016, they did not use synthetic, while they did in November.

They said their prices right now are $79.99 for conventional oil, and $129.99 for synthetic, so a $50 difference.

I've also recently read on other forums people who bring their own oil.

I asked the parts department what oil I should use. They said it doesn't matter the brand, but it should be 7 quarts of OW-20 synthetic. (They said they need 6.4 quarts).

Where can I find a good deal on oil with these specifications?

Old 08-14-18 | 02:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

They said in February of 2016, they did not use synthetic, while they did in November.

They said their prices right now are $79.99 for conventional oil, and $129.99 for synthetic, so a $50 difference.

I've also recently read on other forums people who bring their own oil.

I asked the parts department what oil I should use. They said it doesn't matter the brand, but it should be 7 quarts of OW-20 synthetic. (They said they need 6.4 quarts).

Where can I find a good deal on oil with these specifications?
So the question becomes why did they not use synthetic 0W20 the first time when the manufacturer specifies it? As far as your question to what oil to use, ANY name brand full synthetic 0W20 oil will do. I use Mobil one, Castrol, or Pennzoil Platinum. Whichever is the cheapest... If you plan to buy your own oil I would suggest Walmart as the best place for the best prices.
Old 08-14-18 | 02:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I can't imagine why a Lexus dealer would not have used full synthetic oil on your ES. They certainly should have known that Lexus calls for the use of full synthetic oil, and they must be doing oil changes on multiple Generation 6 ES every day.

Further, their pricing is quite high. I get my Lexus vehicles serviced at the local Toyota dealer. I pay $41 (with $10 coupon that is always available) for a full synthetic oil change using the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer would be using.

I think I'd be looking for someone else to do my oil changes (and other service) other than the Lexus dealer that you have been using.
Old 08-14-18 | 03:44 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
I can't imagine why a Lexus dealer would not have used full synthetic oil on your ES. They certainly should have known that Lexus calls for the use of full synthetic oil, and they must be doing oil changes on multiple Generation 6 ES every day.

Further, their pricing is quite high. I get my Lexus vehicles serviced at the local Toyota dealer. I pay $41 (with $10 coupon that is always available) for a full synthetic oil change using the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer would be using.

I think I'd be looking for someone else to do my oil changes (and other service) other than the Lexus dealer that you have been using.
I tried the Toyota dealer in 2017.

I don't have the paperwork anymore, nor did they enter anything into Lexus Drivers like they do at the Lexus dealers.

This is what I manually entered, from reading the paperwork, after the service was over and I realize they didn't enter it themselves.

* Installed fuel and oil conditioners.
* Performed tire rotation.
* Measured tread depth. 7/32" or greater on each.

(I also probably got an oil change).

Ok, I went to the Toyota dealer's website, and this is what they entered:

" CUSTOMER REQUESTED TOYOTAS VALUE SERVICE AS PER ATTACHED MENU.. MULTIPOINT INSPECTION. TIRE PRESSURE - CHECK - RECORD DATA ON RO. BEFORE AND AFTER AND INDICATE IF TAKEN HOT OR COLD. INSPECT DRIVER SIDE FLOOR MAT. "

All of this was $192.33 after taxes.

I had gone to the Toyota dealer because when I called them before scheduling my service, it seemed like it would have been a little cheaper than the Lexus Dealer.

But afterwards, somehow I paid more than I ever did at the Lexus dealer.

I think I will try bringing my own oil to a Lexus dealer, then seeing what the final cost is then, once. (I'll also probably call the Toyota dealer beforehand to compare the cost.)

Then I'll see what the final price is.

Anytime I see a $50 special for an oil change at a Toyota or Lexus dealer, it always says it's for conventional oil, not synthetic.
Old 08-14-18 | 03:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

So the question becomes why did they not use synthetic 0W20 the first time when the manufacturer specifies it? As far as your question to what oil to use, ANY name brand full synthetic 0W20 oil will do. I use Mobil one, Castrol, or Pennzoil Platinum. Whichever is the cheapest... If you plan to buy your own oil I would suggest Walmart as the best place for the best prices.
Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, I have no idea why they didn't use fully synthetic.

Thanks for the tip on where to bring my own oil. I will check those brands and Walmart and a few other retail stores.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between these services performed?