ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Is $38.0 on a trade in reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:28 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is $38.0 on a trade in reasonable?

The ES300h (luxury package w/Mark Levinson) is less than a month old. MSRP $50.0 -- Cost $40.5 -- Offer $38.0

How much am I leaving on the table?
Old 08-16-18, 10:23 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
I just got 300h MSRP $49,859 for $40,506 after all fees but before NC tax. Lux package w/Mark Levinson.
Sounds like a good deal since you picked it up for only $40.5K

Last edited by gamma742; 08-16-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 11:57 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The ES300h (luxury package w/Mark Levinson) is less than a month old. MSRP $50.0 -- Cost $40.5 -- Offer $38.0

How much am I leaving on the table?
What did you trade in? Your title says you traded something.
Old 08-16-18, 05:31 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
What did you trade in? Your title says you traded something.
sorry - the ES would be the trade in toward a 2016 Certified RX450h.
Old 08-16-18, 06:45 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

$2.5k for 1 month is crazy for me. Do you get to offset the tax with the trade towards the new vehicle? why would you trade a brand new car for a CPO? In any case (unless I'm not understanding) $2.5k loss for 1 month of ownership is a no-go for me. If its worth it to you, go for it.
Old 08-16-18, 07:34 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by msgs350
$2.5k for 1 month is crazy for me. Do you get to offset the tax with the trade towards the new vehicle? why would you trade a brand new car for a CPO? In any case (unless I'm not understanding) $2.5k loss for 1 month of ownership is a no-go for me. If its worth it to you, go for it.
Asking why I’d trade new ES for a CPO RX is somewhat akin to asking why I’d trade a new hammer for a used socket wrench. Maybe I’ll get more use out of an SUV/wrench and would have been better off not buying the sedan/hammer in the first place. The tax is de minimis in NC.

The 2.5k loss stinks but all in it will cost me 45.8 to buy a car originally listed at 46.0k I can do a private sale and probably do better but CPO 450Hs are hard to find. This is the only one within 200 miles that suits my needs.
Old 08-16-18, 07:43 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Asking why I’d trade new ES for a CPO RX is somewhat akin to asking why I’d trade a new hammer for a used socket wrench. Maybe I’ll get more use out of an SUV/wrench and would have been better off not buying the sedan/hammer in the first place. The tax is de minimis in NC.

The 2.5k loss stinks but all in it will cost me 45.8 to buy a car originally listed at 46.0k I can do a private sale and probably do better but CPO 450Hs are hard to find. This is the only one within 200 miles that suits my needs.
Sounds like you know what you want and need now and what to do, forum people's inquiry and opinions shouldn't matter. enjoy.

Last edited by msgs350; 08-16-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 05:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm curious about what packages and options the CPO RX has. Can you please fill us in?
Old 08-17-18, 05:56 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by msgs350
Sounds like you know what you want and need now and what to do, forum people's inquiry and opinions shouldn't matter. enjoy.
Yes, but what I'm asking for are people to help me through the thought process so I don't leap before I look. I've never sold a car so am asking folks with experience if they would go down that road or take the $38k and run.

(we gave our ancient Volvo to our handyman in exchange for completing 3 or 4 projects.)
Old 08-17-18, 06:07 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm curious about what packages and options the CPO RX has. Can you please fill us in?
His spec sheet doesn't list package names but has the following items:
AWD
Parking assist
Blind spot monitor w/cross traffic alert
NAV w/12.3" display
12-speaker audio
heated/ventilated front seats
touch free power back door
wood trim
20" alloy wheels
Alum roof rails
Heated walnut steering wheel
Cold weather pack
Safety System+ w/adaptive headlights
Towing pack w/o ball mount
Silver w/black interior
All weather mats + cargo mat

Price 46.0
Discount (3.1)
Trade in (38.0)
NET 4.9
Tax/Title (.2)
Dealer Fee (.2) -- $225
Out The Door $5,385

Last edited by Dmaxdmax; 08-17-18 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added price info
Old 08-17-18, 06:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 654 Likes on 489 Posts

Yes, but what I'm asking for are people to help me through the thought process so I don't leap before I look. I've never sold a car so am asking folks with experience if they would go down that road or take the $38k and run.

(we gave our ancient Volvo to our handyman in exchange for completing 3 or 4 projects.)
Give him the ES. Maybe he'll build you a house.
Old 08-17-18, 06:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

AWD
Parking assist
NAV w/12.3" display
12-speaker audio
wood trim
20" alloy wheels
Alum roof rails
Cold weather pack
Silver w/black interior

Price 46.0
Discount (3.1)
Trade in (38.0)
NET 4.9
Tax/Title (.2)
Dealer Fee (.2) -- $225
Out The Door $5,385
Thanks for that information.

Unless your state's sales tax laws are different from what they are in most states, if you trade in the ES, you will only pay sales tax on the the few thousand dollar difference between the price you pay for the CPO RX and the trade-in value of the ES. On the other hand, if you sell the ES yourself, you will have to pay sales tax on the full purchase price of the CPO RX.

Thus, even if you can find a buyer who is willing to pay significantly more than the trade-in offer for the ES, the additional sales tax that comes with selling the ES yourself will probably be almost as much as or possibly more than what you would gain by selling the ES yourself.

Further, if you do try to sell the ES yourself you will only be able to get more than the $38,000 trade-in offer if you can find a buyer who has no idea of just how much discounting from MSRP is now available on a brand new ESh. And, even if you do find such a buyer, you are the one who will have to worry about making sure that the form of payment is secure.

Thus, it would be hard for me to see that there would be much point in trying to sell the ES yourself. The only possible advantage of doing so that I can see is that, regardless of what the dealer is telling you, you would have a bit more negotiating leverage on the CPO RX without a trade-in, but I don't see that outweighing the negatives that would come with selling the ES yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Dmaxdmax (08-18-18)
Old 08-17-18, 07:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

AWD
Parking assist
NAV w/12.3" display
12-speaker audio
wood trim
20" alloy wheels
Alum roof rails
Cold weather pack
Silver w/black interior

Price 46.0
Discount (3.1)
Trade in (38.0)
NET 4.9
Tax/Title (.2)
Dealer Fee (.2) -- $225
Out The Door $5,385
After looking at the specs for the 2016 RX, I went to the Lexus web site and "built" a 2018 RX450h AWD with the same options. Its MSRP would be right around $55,000. With the current $1500 rebate and additional dealer discounting, it is likely that you could buy that new RXh for somewhere around $47,000 or even slightly less.

This is what I suspect the dealer is doing with its offer to you. Dealers typically are reluctant to do significant discounting on CPO vehicles, but, considering the relatively small difference between what you could buy a new 2018 RXh for and what they are asking for the 2 year old (almost 3 year old) CPO RXh, what the dealer is doing is, instead of further discounting the price on the 2016 CPO vehicle, they are offering you an inflated trade-in value for your ESh.

Initially, it seemed to me that the $38,000 trade-in offer for your ES was at least a couple of thousand dollars higher than what I would have expected it to be, but, when I see how small the price difference is between a brand new RXh and the 2016 CPO RXh, it makes sense that what the dealer is doing is making an inflated trade-in offer instead of reducing the price of the CPO RXh.
The following users liked this post:
Dmaxdmax (08-18-18)
Old 08-17-18, 07:20 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You got a great deal when you bought your ES..I am surprised you would want to get rid of such a great car you have not even got to enjoy.
Old 08-17-18, 07:24 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Give him the ES. Maybe he'll build you a house.
I'd settle for an addition!

Quick Reply: Is $38.0 on a trade in reasonable?