ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 es 350 auto trans service

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 02:57 PM
Tonyt22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 es 350 auto trans service

I have a 2013 es 350 auto with 150k looking to do a drain and fill on the trans looking for info on the capacity dealer is no help
Old 08-30-18, 03:06 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you ever done a transmission drain and fill yet on your ES with that 150k miles? If not, I wouldn't do anything to the transmission at this point.
Old 08-30-18, 03:34 PM
Tonyt22
Driver School Candidate

I have not but I don't believe in "lifetime" fluids
I'm going to do a few drain in fills over then next month if she blows she blows but I've never had a problem doing drain and fills it's when you start flushing things that you have problems
Old 09-08-18, 10:48 PM
Qek585
Driver School Candidate

Kudos to you for performing this yourself and not getting fooled by all this "lifetime fluid" talk. I totally agree that a drain and fill, even at that mileage, is beneficial for your car. It is the flush machines that should be avoided at all costs!

In regards to your question, unlike an oil change, there is no set exact amount for you to put in when doing the drain and fill. Since not all of the fluid will come out when you drain it (most will still be inside the torque converter), how much you add will depend on whether the car was under-filled or not. However, you will get out somewhere between 2 to 3 quarts per drain of fluid if it was filled correctly in the first place and the fluid temperature is between 104-114 degrees Fahrenheit. So never just put in the exact amount that you take out, as that won't fix an under filled or overfilled transmission.
Old 09-08-18, 11:00 PM
Tonyt22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks still have to find way to check the level but did end up draining it and frist go around only got 1 1/2 quarts out so filled it exactly the same and second go I got 3 quarts so filled it with 3 going to do one more drain and fill but still would like to know how to check it's level thinking it's underfilled right now but drove to Vegas and back and no issues even in stop and go traffic
Old 09-08-18, 11:38 PM
Qek585
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tonyt22
Thanks still have to find way to check the level but did end up draining it and frist go around only got 1 1/2 quarts out so filled it exactly the same and second go I got 3 quarts so filled it with 3 going to do one more drain and fill but still would like to know how to check it's level thinking it's underfilled right now but drove to Vegas and back and no issues even in stop and go traffic
I need to ask, was the car idling at the time you drained it out? Also, did you drain off the bottom bolt (the overfill plug) or the one kinda to the side (drain plug)? The level needs to be checked (via the overfill plug) when the car is idling, as turning off the car will dump some fluid back into the pan. The level can only be accurately checked when the fluid is at 104-114 degrees,give or take a few. There are several ways to get the temp, via temp gun or toyotastream software to name a few. Me, I used a wire thermometer and placed it through the fill plug.

I don't understand how you can get 1 1/2 quarts the first go and then get twice as much the second time. Theoretically it should be about the same each time. From what you're saying, and here's assuming the temps were correct and you used the overfill plug to judge the level with it idling, that yours was slightly underfilled initially. You putting back the exact amount would mean its still underfilled, even less so now since you measured the drained fluid while hot.

I can't figure out how there can be so much coming out the second time, unless you did it with the car off. Either way, I think you car is underfilled at this point as well.
Old 09-09-18, 12:08 AM
Tonyt22
Driver School Candidate

I did both drain and fill with the car off the frist time I pull the top plug and nothing so pulled the bottom one and 1 1/2 quarts came out so I I figured top one must be fill plug used my pump to fill it up again repeated the same for the second drain and fill I'm guessing that it was underfilled to begin with I'll throw my scanner on in the morning and check the overfill plug
Old 09-09-18, 12:47 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyt22
I have not but I don't believe in "lifetime" fluids
Hey Tony... I'm with you... My 2013 ES only has 42K miles on her so I'm nowhere near needing to even think about changing the transmission fluid, but I've always liked reading the debate to should I or should I not change tranny fluid... I'm no mechcanic by any means, but just common sense tells me that at some point the fluid will break down...
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 12:50 AM
Tonyt22
Driver School Candidate

When I drained it the frist time it came out black I can't see how they say it's lifetime I wouldn't have trusted it for another 150k
Old 09-09-18, 11:26 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
... I'm no mechcanic by any means, but just common sense tells me that at some point the fluid will break down...
I agree with Poppa!!! I'm no mechanic as well but I'm a Chemical Engineer and I deal with fluid (thermodynamics) at one point or the other. Fluids do break down over a period of time due to temperature variation.
Old 09-09-18, 01:55 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, for me I will wait till at least 100,000 miles then I will ask the Lexus dealer if they recommend change or not. If they say no I will just keep driving with no change.
Old 09-10-18, 03:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
Well, for me I will wait till at least 100,000 miles then I will ask the Lexus dealer if they recommend change or not. If they say no I will just keep driving with no change.
It is entertaining the comments on threads related to transmission fluid changes. My local Lexus Service Manager who has been with them for 28 years, been trained by Lexus and works on them all day long told me it NEVER needs changing. Matter of fact he said changing could cause more harm than good. I will follow his advice over anyone on this site. The funniest post have been the conspiracy theorist. Lexus tells us no change is needed so just after the warranty expires they will breakdown. If I believed my car manufacturer was doing this than I would sell my car and never buy another from them. Then there are the ones that complain of the stealerships that do work on their cars that are not needed. Here the dealership says no I don't want your money and they are saying no no I want to give it to you for unneeded work. Save and enjoy your money.
Old 09-10-18, 06:23 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
It is entertaining the comments on threads related to transmission fluid changes. My local Lexus Service Manager who has been with them for 28 years, been trained by Lexus and works on them all day long told me it NEVER needs changing. Matter of fact he said changing could cause more harm than good. I will follow his advice over anyone on this site. The funniest post have been the conspiracy theorist. Lexus tells us no change is needed so just after the warranty expires they will breakdown. If I believed my car manufacturer was doing this than I would sell my car and never buy another from them. Then there are the ones that complain of the stealerships that do work on their cars that are not needed. Here the dealership says no I don't want your money and they are saying no no I want to give it to you for unneeded work. Save and enjoy your money.
Can I simply seek your advice when I have my ES running up to 200,000 miles; what would be the condition of this lifetime transmission fluid.....? Thanks
Old 09-10-18, 09:12 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That is good to know. I never asked anybody about transmission fluid change. My information comes from this forum and car's manual. I will probably trade my car at around 150,000miles. So I may not need to change it at all. But I am like other people who are just not used to lifetime transmission fluid. It is a new concept to me.
Old 09-10-18, 11:17 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

My local Lexus Service Manager who has been with them for 28 years, been trained by Lexus and works on them all day long told me it NEVER needs changing. Matter of fact he said changing could cause more harm than good.
Your Service Mgr is absolutely right "more harm than good"

The following users liked this post:
jollick (09-12-18)

Quick Reply: 2013 es 350 auto trans service