ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lease end - I am returning my ES350

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 04:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by virtual
Maybe. But I am a potential customer. And a better informed customer - because I drove it for the last 3 years and I could easily buy another ES350. Now why wouldn't I want another one? Well well...
Like I said earlier, you can't please everyone. Now, go enjoy your Mazda before this turns into a troll thread.
Old 09-06-18, 07:48 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. We love it. The AC is freezing. And I can turn it off at any moment with just 1 push of a button. Bluetooth works great too.

Wait... does the 2019 ES not have a physical A/C button as well? If true what a pain in the ***.

Last edited by reposado2; 09-06-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-06-18, 08:24 AM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
Wait... does the 2019 ES not have a physical A/C button as well? If true what a pain in the ***.
The IS300 does have it.
Old 09-06-18, 08:29 AM
reposado2
Driver

The IS300 does have it.
What about the new 2019 ES?

From the picture I found of the buttons I dont really see it...
Old 09-06-18, 08:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
What about the new 2019 ES?

From the picture I found of the buttons I dont really see it...
Doesn't have it, doesn't need it.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (09-07-18)
Old 09-06-18, 09:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Whew! Let's put this A/C button discussion to rest. From 2013 to 2018 Lexus decided that an A/C on-off button was not needed in their ES line. Therefore there isn't one in any of the generation 6 Lexus ES models. Lexus also decided that an A/C on-off button was not necessary in their newly designed 2019 ES models. So there will not be, at least for 2019, an
A/C on-off button in any of the ES models... Anyway, as Mike says, "doesn't need it".
jollick (09-07-18)
Old 09-06-18, 09:12 AM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Whew! Let's put this A/C button discussion to rest. From 2013 to 2018 Lexus decided that an A/C on-off button was not needed in their ES line. Therefore there isn't one in any of the generation 6 Lexus ES models. Lexus also decided that an A/C on-off button was not necessary in their newly designed 2019 ES models. So there will not be, at least for 2019, an
A/C on-off button in any of the ES models... Anyway, as Mike says, "doesn't need it".
Good times huh.
Old 09-06-18, 05:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Our NX has the dedicated AC button. I have never used it though. Go figure.
Mike728 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 06:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I realize that nothing that we are saying here is going to change the control layout for the Generation 6 ES or, for that matter, the Generation 7 ES, but, since we are commenting, I'll add my thoughts.

I'm among those who would prefer to have a dedicated button for the AC compressor. There are times, especially in the spring and fall, when I prefer to have just fresh air blowing through the dash vents, and I would appreciate a way to turn the AC compressor on and off with just the push of one button and without having to navigate to the climate control screen.

My GX also does not have a dedicated AC button, but its absence has never bothered me because, at least, there is a dedicated button for the climate control system, and pressing that button takes me directly to the climate control screen, and, once there, I can turn the compressor on and off with just one more click. With the ES, I have to go, first to the menu, then, to the climate control screen, and, finally, select the AC to turn it on and off. For some reason, the extra step is, for me, annoying.

If I had input into the ES design, if nothing else, I would have included a climate control button on the dash that would take you directly to the climate control screen, which is much the way that the radio button takes you directly to the radio screen. To me, such a button would be much more useful than the fan speed up and fan speed down buttons.

(As I have been typing , I've realized that all of this is nothing more than a 1st world problem).
Old 09-06-18, 07:07 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

(As I have been typing , I've realized that all of this is nothing more than a 1st world problem).
Indeed it is a first world problem. I do turn the AC on and off and it doesn't bother me that there is no dedicated button. So what if it takes couple steps to get to the AC. Is it that urgent to get to the AC button to turn it on or off? It cannot wait couple steps. Maybe the first few times, as you are learning how to control different functions of the car, it may feel intimidating but once you know how to do it shouldn't be a big deal.

jollick (09-07-18)
Old 09-06-18, 11:14 PM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GES
Indeed it is a first world problem. I do turn the AC on and off and it doesn't bother me that there is no dedicated button. So what if it takes couple steps to get to the AC. Is it that urgent to get to the AC button to turn it on or off? It cannot wait couple steps. Maybe the first few times, as you are learning how to control different functions of the car, it may feel intimidating but once you know how to do it shouldn't be a big deal.

It depends on the climate. The temperatures differ here by a margin of 20F within my driving range. It is not a typical situation. If you have say 85F - you would turn it on and keep it on and that's it. But imagine having to drive in and out of a hot area few times a day. I live near a beach down here in LA - where temperature is nice around 75F most of the time with breeze on and no AC needed - but the temperatures rise rapidly while driving inland. 10 minutes of drive will take you to 85-90F and then you have to have the AC on. So I kept clicking. All the time.

Of course you can have your fan turned off - but then you need to roll down the windows. Naturally I could turn off the fan in the evening without opening the windows, but then the windshield gets foggy. This is all a matter of personal preference and I understand that some people don't need it. But for me it was one annoying thing to deal with all the time.

Sometimes I just needed a little extra umph from the engine and turning off the AC helps. 268Hp is not unlimited power and the AC has some effect on acceleration. So imagine yourself turning that thing off and clicking it while doing 60 on the freeway.

I don't know why I keep on thinking about this. The car is gone and I should probably forget it soon. But just a thought - we buy luxurious cars for a reason. Life is stressful. We just want to have a piece of mind and some comfort on a way to another stressful meeting or event. I think life is all about handling stress and getting around with minimum mental loses. The car should be such - that you should turn the music on, relax and just focus on driving and some occasional phone calls. Right? We don't buy Lexus to show off. It is a tool. And it has to work. We get enough heat from people, customers and work - to take more from a car malfunction or just incompatible design. But again - it is a personal preference.

Last edited by virtual; 09-06-18 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 05:31 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Have to admit I never once thought that the acceleration on my ES is not good enough and maybe I should turn over the AC to make it go faster. Just sayin...
Old 09-07-18, 07:30 AM
reposado2
Driver

Not having a physical A/C button is a a boneheaded move and as a fan of Lexus(as most of us are here in this forum) I don't see the need to defend them on this. It saves no money(heck all the Toyota have a button). Some say in auto mode even when the heater is going the A/C is on. Some people are fine with leaving it on auto but many do want to control when their compressor goes on(A/C does take about 10% more gas to run, and it makes no sense to run it most months of the year depending on region)... and to make the customers jump through hoops every time they want it on or off makes zero sense.
Old 09-07-18, 07:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Have to admit I never once thought that the acceleration on my ES is not good enough and maybe I should turn over the AC to make it go faster. Just sayin...
+1. I think that the engine in our ES cars is more than sufficient regarding power and acceleration. The A/C being on doesn't affect sprinting onto an expressway (or freeway in CA).
This engine is a real honey...smooth as a prom queen's thighs...
jollick (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 09:16 AM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
+1. I think that the engine in our ES cars is more than sufficient regarding power and acceleration. The A/C being on doesn't affect sprinting onto an expressway (or freeway in CA).
This engine is a real honey...smooth as a prom queen's thighs...
That is absolutely true.
Just few little issues with Route 66 - look up the 110 FWY north in Pasadena area.
When you enter northbound traffic on any of those ramps - say for instance Ave 52 in Highland Park - but they are all bad - and I think the worst one is the "La Riba Way" by Ave 64. Here: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1106...8,16.67z?hl=en

Then you need all of those 268 ponies. Because cars are coming at you at 55+ and you have only 10 feet of space to accelerate into that lane. Check that out.
That is just an example. Somehow there are situations when you don't want to have that compressor take any of the precious power away.

Quick Reply: Lease end - I am returning my ES350