ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2019 ES TV Ads

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 07:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts
Default 2019 ES TV Ads

By now, I'm sure that many of you have seen the TV ads for the 2019 ES.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dyk2/lexus-es-stolen

I've seen the ad linked above a number of times, and, when I first saw it, it struck me that the feeling created by the ad was quite different from that in ES ads in the past. The ad seems to be more like ads that I would have expected, in the past, for the GS or IS or even for the RC or LC. Instead of portraying the ES as a vehicle that provides a smooth and serene ride, it creates an impression that the new ES is designed to be a sports sedan.

I suspect that the ad is an indication of the fact that Lexus wants to change the image of the ES and that Lexus is looking to make the ES more attractive to a younger demographic. It could also be the case that, with ads like this one, Lexus is testing to see if the ES can be an attractive alternative to those who, in the past, would have bought a GS or an IS, and that could well be an indication that one or both of those models will, in the near future, be discontinued.

It will be interesting to see the evaluations from early Generation 7 ES buyers with regard to the various aspects of the new ES's ride quality and to see whether it is significantly different from that of previous generation ESs. I'll also be interested in hearing about whether the ES F Sport differs from other ES models mainly just in appearance or whether the differences also extend beyond appearance. It will be interesting to see, too, how those who have been typical ES buyers in the past feel about an ES design that moves the car in a different direction from the ES vehicles in the past.
Old 09-08-18, 07:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 652 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
...I suspect that the ad is an indication of the fact that Lexus wants to change the image of the ES and that Lexus is looking to make the ES more attractive to a younger demographic. It could also be the case that, with ads like this one, Lexus is testing to see if the ES can be an attractive alternative to those who, in the past, would have bought a GS or an IS, and that could well be an indication that one or both of those models will, in the near future, be discontinued...
I truly believe their plan is to discontinue the GS. Once the AWD option of the ES is made available, it should make this clearer. However, I don't see the ES replacing the IS.
Old 09-08-18, 07:41 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,293 Likes on 901 Posts

When one of the Lexus executives - whose title escapes me - addressed the criticism of the newer more aggressive grill, he stated that it's here to stay despite the numerous cries of loyal Lexus buyers of the past. That, in itself to me, is an indication that Lexus is indeed moving to a younger age bracket for sales. As far as the other models being discontinued, look at Ford eliminating their sedan line and Hyundai sedan sales declining in comparison to SUV and crossover models. I think that Lexus has too many sedans for sale and has to focus on a model that will suffice for sport and luxury for the older group (me)... I think that this is where the new ES 300/350 is in addition to the sport model ES.
Old 09-08-18, 08:18 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I truly believe their plan is to discontinue the GS. Once the AWD option of the ES is made available, it should make this clearer.
We've been seeing rumors about the demise of the GS for at least 3 or 4 years. Especially considering how meager GS sales have been, I'm somewhat surprised to see that the GS is still around, and I'm confident that you are correct in saying that, if/when the ES gets an AWD option, the GS will be no more.

Originally Posted by bc6152
When one of the Lexus executives - whose title escapes me - addressed the criticism of the newer more aggressive grill, he stated that it's here to stay despite the numerous cries of loyal Lexus buyers of the past. That, in itself to me, is an indication that Lexus is indeed moving to a younger age bracket for sales.
Even as one who is the owner of a 2017 ES and who previously owned a 2013 ES and while I appreciate what I consider to be significant upgrades that came with the 2016 Generation 6 ES re-fresh, I have a strong preference for the more understated grille of the 2013-2015 ES over the "in your face" look of the 2016-2018 grille.

If I don't like the 2016-2018 ES grille, I like the look of the 2019 ES grille even less. I, too, recall the statement that you refer to from the Lexus executive who essentially said that Lexus no longer was placing a priority on building vehicles that would appeal to an older demographic, and the grille on the 2019 ES is a further indication that that is the case.

While I have a strong dislike for the new 2019 ES grille, the grille on the 2019 ES F Sport has much more appeal to me. When I first saw the grille for the regular ES 350 and the one for the ES F Sport, my first thought was that, if I was in the market for a 2019 ES, I'd be inclined to go with the F Sport. But, then, I saw that, with the F Sport, there isn't even an option to get leather or semi-aniline seating, and the design of the interior of the F Sport is even more aimed at a younger demographic, and, to me, it looks like it would be more appropriate for a Dodge Charger than for a Lexus. All of that would, for me, eliminate consideration of the F Sport, and that would be even more true if it turns out that the F Sport suspension is firmer and "sportier" than that of the non-F Sport.

Around the time of the Generation 7 ES mid-cycle re-fresh, I'll probably still be looking at buying a Generation 7 ES, but that doesn't mean that I'm pleased with the direction in which Lexus seems to be going.

Last edited by lesz; 09-08-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 07:12 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ES 350 L and prefer the appearance of those grills also. I also have another issue with the '16 - '18 and '19 grills. The grills appear to overlay the bumper putting those cars in the position of the slightest tap damaging the grill. While I haven't made an in-depth study of other cars, I haven't noticed any others that have the grills in front of the bumper.