ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 02:59 PM
Raisdana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System

Hello I just purchased a 2015 Lexus ES 350, it does not have navigation system, is it good idea to instal the 3rd party navigation system?
Old 09-10-18, 03:58 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Raisdana
Hello I just purchased a 2015 Lexus ES 350, it does not have navigation system, is it good idea to instal the 3rd party navigation system?
Save your money. Buy a Garmin with lifetime updates for maps that sits on top of the dash. It's probably better than the Lexus unit anyway. They now offer touch screen, voice command, Bluetooth, radar detection and more. when you're finished with it put it in the trunk. I believe they're less than $300.00. This is what I use and I HAVE navigation... I don't want to pay for the expensive Lexus map updates.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-10-18, 09:00 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Save your money. Buy a Garmin with lifetime updates for maps that sits on top of the dash. It's probably better than the Lexus unit anyway. They now offer touch screen, voice command, Bluetooth, radar detection and more. when you're finished with it put it in the trunk. I believe they're less than $300.00. This is what I use and I HAVE navigation... I don't want to pay for the expensive Lexus map updates.

GOOD LUCK!
how much do those updates run for around?
Old 09-11-18, 01:39 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

GOOD LUCK!

I pretty much agree with Bc here.. I have a 2013 es with nav.. I have to say that I actually like my navigation system pretty well, but it does have some limitations... For example my nav will not show me what the "speed limit " is on the highway I'm on... also, as roads and highways are updated, my nav on my ES is oblivious to them ( unless I take it in to the dealer to update the system, which I have not done )... One of the things that ticks me off the most about the nav on the car is when your driving and you want to search for restaurants, or gas stations, anything like that, while you're driving it only lets you do a limited search so if you want to do a more thorough search you have to pull over and put the car in park... we work around that by taking our garmin with us when we travel... if the wife is looking for a particular restaurant she'll look for it on the garmin while I continue to follow the nav on the ES... also as Bc pointed out.. if you have a garmin you can get lifetime map updates... very handy.

Roland
Old 09-11-18, 05:51 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>Save your money. Buy a Garmin

Better yet, save your $ and just install Waze on your celphone. We rarely use the factory GPS in either of our cars now. That app provides all the direction info we need.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 09-11-18, 06:06 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
>Save your money. Buy a Garmin

Better yet, save your $ and just install Waze on your celphone. We rarely use the factory GPS in either of our cars now. That app provides all the direction info we need.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
I would use Waze but I don't have unlimited data use on my mobile phone. Garmin don't use data...
Old 09-11-18, 06:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

I would use Waze but I don't have unlimited data use on my mobile phone. Garmin don't use data...
It really doesn't use much data. I've seen reports of people that use it daily and only go through about 200MB's of data a month. Google maps apparently uses more, but still not a significant amount.
Old 09-11-18, 07:04 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

CoPilot app on a cellphone allows navigation without using data. It is only $10 and comes with lifetime map updates. It is also a great backup tool for when you have to navigate in an area without cellphone coverage. It can also work overseas but you need to purchase those maps separately. It is definitely a more convinient arrangement than a dedicated GPS.

Additionslly you can also cash into cellphone memory a fairly large area in Google maps so it does not use data there (go to offline maps in the menu).

On the other hand there are some interesting Android based drop in replacements for 6th Gen ES entertainment unit. This may be a good solution as you get a ton of other features - which will in theory make it even better than the factory nav system.
Old 09-11-18, 07:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I pretty much agree with Bc here.. I have a 2013 es with nav.. I have to say that I actually like my navigation system pretty well, but it does have some limitations... For example my nav will not show me what the "speed limit " is on the highway I'm on... also, as roads and highways are updated, my nav on my ES is oblivious to them ( unless I take it in to the dealer to update the system, which I have not done )... One of the things that ticks me off the most about the nav on the car is when your driving and you want to search for restaurants, or gas stations, anything like that, while you're driving it only lets you do a limited search so if you want to do a more thorough search you have to pull over and put the car in park... we work around that by taking our garmin with us when we travel... if the wife is looking for a particular restaurant she'll look for it on the garmin while I continue to follow the nav on the ES... also as Bc pointed out.. if you have a garmin you can get lifetime map updates... very handy.

Roland
Interesting. Our 2015 shows the speed limits. We use it quite extensively when in cities we aren’t familiar with and it works very satisfactorily. Does it work as well as a smart phone app or an external GPS? I don’t have any real basis for comparison so I couldn’t say, but it works well for my needs. I’m OK with the costs but I also only update about every three years.

I definitely prefer the size and convenience of the in-dash display rather than fumbling with my mobile phone.

Old 09-12-18, 12:57 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut

Interesting. Our 2015 shows the speed limits. We use it quite extensively when in cities we aren’t familiar with and it works very satisfactorily. Does it work as well as a smart phone app or an external GPS? I don’t have any real basis for comparison so I couldn’t say, but it works well for my needs. I’m OK with the costs but I also only update about every three years.

I definitely prefer the size and convenience of the in-dash display rather than fumbling with my mobile phone.

Hello Doug... I guess that between the 2013 models and the 2015 models Lexus must have changed the firm ware they were using in thier nav systems. Glad yours shows speed limits. I've yet to update my nav but I'm getting pretty close to having it done. A year or so back I asked a service writer at lexus if I updated my maps would I then start seeing speed limits on the nav and he told me no because the update would only be a software update and not a firmware update.. but then again this is the same person that told me that he had heard if you used anything but a lexus oem battery, they wouldn't last more than six months or so...I knew that was hogwash... I put a big interstate mtp-24f in my ES last January and no problems... same battery in my 4 Runner.. been in there going on 4 years, no issues what so ever..... back to the nav.. I'm with you also as to liking the size of the on board nav system... also the voice software almost sounds like I'm on a commercial airliner... hey, if anyone out there knows if upgrading my nav system will or will not start showing speed limits I sure would like to know.. thanks guys ( and gals )

Roland
Old 09-12-18, 04:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Hello Doug... I guess that between the 2013 models and the 2015 models Lexus must have changed the firm ware they were using in thier nav systems. Glad yours shows speed limits. I've yet to update my nav but I'm getting pretty close to having it done. A year or so back I asked a service writer at lexus if I updated my maps would I then start seeing speed limits on the nav and he told me no because the update would only be a software update and not a firmware update.. but then again this is the same person that told me that he had heard if you used anything but a lexus oem battery, they wouldn't last more than six months or so...I knew that was hogwash... I put a big interstate mtp-24f in my ES last January and no problems... same battery in my 4 Runner.. been in there going on 4 years, no issues what so ever..... back to the nav.. I'm with you also as to liking the size of the on board nav system... also the voice software almost sounds like I'm on a commercial airliner... hey, if anyone out there knows if upgrading my nav system will or will not start showing speed limits I sure would like to know.. thanks guys ( and gals )

Roland
It will not, as it's only a map update. It doesn't gain any features.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (09-13-18)
Old 09-12-18, 05:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Hello Doug... I guess that between the 2013 models and the 2015 models Lexus must have changed the firm ware they were using in thier nav systems.
The 2013 and 2014 ES have a Generation 7 navigation system. The 2015 and 2016 ES have a Generation 8 navigation system, and the 2017 and 2018 ES have a Generation 9 navigation system.

The Generation 8 and Generation 9 systems show speed limits on the map, but the Generation 7 system does not. Also, I believe that the Generation 8 and 9 systems get their traffic information via an HD radio signal, but the Generation 7 system gets its traffic information via a satellite radio system.

The Generation 8 and, especially, Generation 9 systems have significant improvements over the Generation 7 system. Those improvements include better traffic information, and the ability to use voice commands is significantly better. With the Generation 9 system, voice commands work quite well, and they can be used with a high degree of success to search for and set destinations while the car is in motion.

It should be noted that, regardless of generation, the capabilities of the navigation system can be significantly enhanced by using it with the free Enform Destination Search smart phone app. Because, with the app, voice commands are done via the phone's voice command system, not that of the car, voice command capability extends to a wider range of available commands, and it works quite well. Also, when searching for destinations, the Destination Search app is using a data base that includes more destinations and that is more up to date than the data base that is on the hard drive (2013 or 2014) or SD card (2015-2018) that is in the car. Using the app is, I think, essential to get the most out of the capabilities of the navigation system, regardless of generation.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
jollick (09-12-18), Poppa (09-13-18)
Old 09-12-18, 06:10 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Les: Where in the car do you find the destination entered thru the Enform Destination Search on your phone? TIA
Old 09-12-18, 06:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Les: Where in the car do you find the destination entered thru the Enform Destination Search on your phone? TIA
Bob,
I'm not sure that I know exactly what you are asking, but this is the procedure for using the Destination Assist app.

First, you need to have downloaded the app to your phone and have the app open on your phone. Then, in the car, you go to the Menu and select Apps. Then, you select the Destination Assist App. Once that screen opens, you can use the microphone button on the car to use your voice to find a destination. After you say the destination, the app will search for it and provide you with a list of what it has found. Then, you can use either your voice or the mouse to choose the destination you want from the list. Once you have made your choice, you will be given the option to either set that as your navigation destination or to make a call to that destination with your phone. After you have set the destination, the navigation system will guide you to it just like if you had set the destination using the navigation system's data base.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (09-12-18)
Old 09-13-18, 02:12 AM
Poppa
Instructor

So just out of curiosity, what is the going charge to have Lexus update the nav on my 2013 ES... Also, would it be benificial to wait awhile in case there's a new update coming out soon?

Roland

Quick Reply: Navigation System