ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18 | 02:42 PM
GES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Really? Dealers in your area still do that? Is that typical in the USA?

Reason I ask is living in Canada I can say no dealer in the past 20 years at least has given me one of those bogus dealer recommended maintenance schedules. I think the last one to give it to me was a Ford dealer in the mid 90's. Toyota and Lexus where I live have never given one of them when buying a car...of course, it doesn't stop them trying to upsell you with a recommended wallet lightening service that is totally unnecessary when you actually visit the dealership. I ignore all of them.
The short answer to your question is yes. This is very typical of the dealers in the US. A lot of them try to sell you bogus services that the car doesn't need. I am very surprised when I see a dealer doesn't do that.
Old 09-19-18 | 03:03 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by bc6152
I can only speak for myself, but yes, I think it is still going on down here. I got one in 2012 when I bought my Lexus. Another thing unscrupulous dealers do is add a sticker next to the manufacturer's sticker with all kinds of added accessories. Side molding, special wax, VIN engraving into the window glass, and on and on. Sometimes adds a couple of thousand dollars. All a bunch of BS.
Here they passed a law that the advertised price is the price. Period (other than taxes that is). If they want to etch the car at their cost prior to me buying it, that's their problem, not mine and I pay zero for it.
Old 10-27-18 | 08:52 PM
bcz2010
Driver School Candidate

Update....Just had my 20K service done. Dealership again recommended “ fuel cleaning “ and 4 wheel alignment. Obviously I declined. In their defense, my first 5 service visits at every 5K were included in the sale. I have not paid anything yet for service or oil changes. This includes manufacturer recommendations and tire rotation. Another benefit this dealership offers... for as long as I own the car, they will pick up and drop off loaner for any service. This includes oil changes. I live 80 miles from the dealership. I think that is customer service, even though they recommend bogus maintenance.
Old 10-28-18 | 10:10 PM
AnantD
Driver School Candidate

The services offered by the dealer such as fuel system cleaning and 4 wheel alignment are typically unnecessary; however they are preventative. You could be using non tier 1 gas, driving short distances and hitting more than your fair share of potholes. However, you are well within your rights to turn them down, if you feel otherwise. Regarding oil additives etc, that is definitely a NO as all top grade synthetic oils don’t need additional additives. That kind of talk destroys trust.

My salesman 2018 ES 350 tells me that they nitrogen fill tires to reduce psi varying much with weather. First trip to the dealer to check pressures and they used regular air. Second item he bs’d me was that “all” gas in the Chicago area is premium, no such thing as regular or mid grade! Since when?! I found that my exhaust tips stayed cleaner on premium than regular on my previous cars, this couldn’t be a misconception, could it? Sorry to be a little off topic.
Old 10-29-18 | 06:28 AM
jfelbab

Your sales dude was mis-informed. Nitrogen, like all gas, is affected by temperature identically. You will see the exact same pressure change with nitrogen as you would with regular air due to temperature changes. It a law of physics. When they fill tires with nitrogen they typically don't actually remove all the air anyway, even if they purge and refill, some % of air remains. Regular air is 79% nitrogen, BTW.

All gasoline has a minimum amount of cleaners in it as required by law. Some gasoline has more than others. Premium fuel usually has more cleaners than regular but TopTier fuel has higher concentration of cleaners in all their grades. Your sales guy is clearly clueless. I'd find a different sales guy.
Old 10-29-18 | 07:03 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Dealers promote filling tires with Nitrogen for one reason and one reason only; to separate you from your money. It's useless and unnecessary. And as far as fuel goes, using top tier gas such as Costco, is a good thing for your car.

I've found that most car salesmen are clueless and clearly are focused on one thing: closing the deal. That's OK with me but don't make false statements and/or try to intimidate one into spending more than they must.