ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 09:16 AM
bcz2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service Question

Hello all. I am a first time Lexus owner...2018 ES350 UL. I have already put 17,000 miles on her and I love this car!
When I had my 15,000 mile check up there was a service recommendation on my invoice. And I quote - Fuel Induction
Cleaning Service 3PK With Oil Treatment And Premium Fuel Supplement. $205.86. Is this service needed, and are they trying to tell me to use premium fuel? My thoughts are this is unnecessary on a new car with just 15K miles. Any help from you guys and gals would be appreciated.

John
Old 09-18-18, 09:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

A very good question. The answer is don't do it. You don't need "fuel induction cleaning 3PK ", oil treatment (whatever that is) and premium fuel supplement which is another mystery.
All unnecessary suggestions designed to separate you from your money. None of the above is necessary for your car. Just use name brand fuel, change your oil at the scheduled intervals, and use REGULAR FUEL.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW CAR...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
BassFiddle (09-10-21), bcz2010 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 10:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
A very good question. The answer is don't do it. You don't need "fuel induction cleaning 3PK ", oil treatment (whatever that is) and premium fuel supplement which is another mystery.
All unnecessary suggestions designed to separate you from your money. None of the above is necessary for your car. Just use name brand fuel, change your oil at the scheduled intervals, and use REGULAR FUEL.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW CAR...
+1 to the above.

I'll add that, in addition to trying to sell you overpriced services that are not at all needed, it is also likely that your Lexus dealer will be charging you excessively for the services that do need to be done.

Many here have found reputable independent mechanics or use Toyota dealers at the recommended service intervals and for non-warranty repairs.

I use the local Toyota dealer for all non-warranty service. At 10,000 mile or 1 year intervals, the Toyota dealer charges me $41 for a full synthetic oil change (with a $10 customer loyalty coupon). Typically, a Lexus dealer would charge 2-3 times that much or, possibly, even more.

I've been using the Toyota dealer for non-warranty service on my Lexus vehicles for close to 15 years. Whether it is routine maintenance or repairs, I've found that the Toyota dealer's prices are 1/2 or less of what the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same work.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
BassFiddle (09-10-21), bcz2010 (10-27-18)
Old 09-18-18, 12:39 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember last time I went to the Lexus Dealer which was at the 10,000 mile free service, I was checking the prices for the 15,000 mile service and it was advertised at $316 and it also included the fuel system cleaning service. Of course I didn't go back. At 15,000 I just rotated the tires for $15-20
Old 09-18-18, 02:01 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GES
I remember last time I went to the Lexus Dealer which was at the 10,000 mile free service, I was checking the prices for the 15,000 mile service and it was advertised at $316 and it also included the fuel system cleaning service. Of course I didn't go back. At 15,000 I just rotated the tires for $15-20
The sad part of this story is that some people just say "Uh, OK if it's needed", trusting the service writer. This crap really annoys me. Good that the OP had the presence to ask questions...

Old 09-18-18, 02:49 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, this is ridiculous! I’m absolutely tired of these dealerships practically stealing money from us. A fuel treatment at 17k miles?

OP, tell the dealership you aren’t stupid and can find someone who is honest.

Im worried for those that take their Lexus to the dealership just thinking that they provide the best care possible. Each time I come to ClubLexus (I read many forums here), I have even less trust in Lexus service when I leave.
Old 09-18-18, 03:02 PM
bcz2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure this was an un-needed service. I've been lurking here all year and everything I've seen here is regular oil and fluid changes is all these cars require for a good amount of time.
They also suggested an upcoming 4 wheel alignment for $166. I will check out the local Toyota dealer.
Old 09-18-18, 03:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Wow, this is ridiculous! I’m absolutely tired of these dealerships practically stealing money from us. A fuel treatment at 17k miles?

OP, tell the dealership you aren’t stupid and can find someone who is honest.

Im worried for those that take their Lexus to the dealership just thinking that they provide the best care possible. Each time I come to ClubLexus (I read many forums here), I have even less trust in Lexus service when I leave.
You do seem to see more of this "dealer recommended" vs. "manufacturer recommended" BS from Lexus dealers vs. some of the other luxury brands. I'm sure it goes on everywhere but the L dealers really seem to like to do it.
Old 09-18-18, 03:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bcz2010
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure this was an un-needed service. I've been lurking here all year and everything I've seen here is regular oil and fluid changes is all these cars require for a good amount of time.
They also suggested an upcoming 4 wheel alignment for $166. I will check out the local Toyota dealer.
This is probably another unnecessary item. My 2013 is over 6 years old and has never had a wheel alignment for two or four wheels. The Michelins are wearing perfectly and will be replaced due to time, not wear. They are rotated according to schedule... I think I'd be very wary with this dealer.

Old 09-18-18, 05:20 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

It is a shame that any Lexus dealership would propose this.
Old 09-19-18, 02:02 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Bcz2010... allow me to echo the sentiments expressed above.. those services you mention ( in my opinion ) are not needed. My 2013 ES has a little under 42K miles and I have never had those services performed.. Certainly not necessary for a vehicle with only 15K miles on it... Gotta watch some of these dealerships... some of them will try to sell you a bill of goods... my favorite was when I took my car in for an oil change ( i believe it was at 30K miles ).. service writer wanted to know if I wanted them to change the fluid in my rear differential... ah, Hello.. it's a front wheel drive car.. doesn't have a rear differential..... and back in January I needed to replace my battery, service writer quoted my something over 200 bucks and then told me that if I put anything but a "lexus" battery in my car it probably wouldn't last more than six months... I left there and bought an interstate battery and absolutely no issues... and the sad thing is, some people who don't know any better would say yes, if my rear differential fluid needs to be changed, or If I must have a lexus battery, then by all means. do it. Truthfully, now that mine is out of warranty, if it's something more than a simple oil change ( which I have done at a local tire dealership ) I take my ES to a toyota dealership... just as good for a little less $$$

Roland
Old 09-19-18, 05:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Why don't you make copies of your invoice and mail it to Lexus corporate and CC the Lexus dealerships owner, with the questions, "Is this service necessary at 17,000 miles on a new 2018 vehicle as it is not indicated in the required service section of the user manual?" I'd also ask, "Do you think this dealer is being up-front about my cars needs or do you suspect he is trying to take advantage of me?"

Trust is a great thing to have but things like this don't build trust. They have literally destroyed your trust in their dealership.

I'd love to see their response.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-19-18 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 06:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Most vehicle manufacturers state in their warranty disclosures that no additives are either necessary or recommended for their vehicles. So as a rule of thumb, if an owner simply adheres to the MANUFACTURER maintenance schedule, this is more than adequate. Unfortunately, every car that I have purchased had a DEALER recommended service schedule among the numerous documents. This schedule had all of the various add-ons that generate the vast profit that most dealers crave. One even recommended a detail of my car after 6 months at a cost of $150.00. Uh, no thanks... So being aware and having some knowledge about your expensive investment is very important.
Old 09-19-18, 02:00 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Unfortunately, every car that I have purchased had a DEALER recommended service schedule among the numerous documents. This schedule had all of the various add-ons that generate the vast profit that most dealers crave. One even recommended a detail of my car after 6 months at a cost of $150.00. Uh, no thanks... So being aware and having some knowledge about your expensive investment is very important.

Really? Dealers in your area still do that? Is that typical in the USA?

Reason I ask is living in Canada I can say no dealer in the past 20 years at least has given me one of those bogus dealer recommended maintenance schedules. I think the last one to give it to me was a Ford dealer in the mid 90's. Toyota and Lexus where I live have never given one of them when buying a car...of course, it doesn't stop them trying to upsell you with a recommended wallet lightening service that is totally unnecessary when you actually visit the dealership. I ignore all of them.
Old 09-19-18, 02:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Really? Dealers in your area still do that? Is that typical in the USA?

Reason I ask is living in Canada I can say no dealer in the past 20 years at least has given me one of those bogus dealer recommended maintenance schedules. I think the last one to give it to me was a Ford dealer in the mid 90's. Toyota and Lexus where I live have never given one of them when buying a car...of course, it doesn't stop them trying to upsell you with a recommended wallet lightening service that is totally unnecessary when you actually visit the dealership. I ignore all of them.
I can only speak for myself, but yes, I think it is still going on down here. I got one in 2012 when I bought my Lexus. Another thing unscrupulous dealers do is add a sticker next to the manufacturer's sticker with all kinds of added accessories. Side molding, special wax, VIN engraving into the window glass, and on and on. Sometimes adds a couple of thousand dollars. All a bunch of BS.

Quick Reply: Service Question