ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Start up screen while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 03:29 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Start up screen while driving?

So for the first time the other day I'm driving and all of a sudden my GPS and radio shut off and my infotainment system restarts. No other check lights go on or anything else from what I recall. It resets. The Lexus enform screen pops up and boom right back to my gps and radio. Anyone had this happen to them before?
Old 10-03-18, 03:39 AM
mcmike522
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my ES350 for a few months now and have never had a reset on the infotainment system. My guess is that the module had a memory leak or something else in the software caused the microprocessor to lock up. Kind of like having to reboot Windows when it locks up, except our module probably has a watchdog timer that monitors for software lockups and automatically reboots the module when it detects a lock-up. Next time you are in for service you can ask if they have any software updates for the infotainment system.
Old 10-03-18, 05:27 AM
Steve19067
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Albo
So for the first time the other day I'm driving and all of a sudden my GPS and radio shut off and my infotainment system restarts. No other check lights go on or anything else from what I recall. It resets. The Lexus enform screen pops up and boom right back to my gps and radio. Anyone had this happen to them before?
Although I never noticed this with my car, yesterday when I took it in for maintenance the tech reported that it happened while he was test driving the car. He performed a software update which he said was out this past June. So you might want to check into that. My car is a ‘15 ES350 without nav.
Old 10-03-18, 05:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I bought my 2017 ES in November of 2016. A day or two after I bought the car, the system re-booted, and the same thing happened 2 or 3 weeks later. But it has not happened at all in the almost 2 years since then.

If it was happening on regular basis, I would be concerned, but with it only having happened a couple of times in almost 2 years, I'm not inclined to be worried about it.

Something that has also happened with the infotainment system on my ES about a half dozen times is that, when I've navigated to the phone screen to check my call history, contacts, or emails, the screen has frozen. When that has happened, after about a minute or two, the screen has unfrozen (without the system rebooting). I've found this behavior to be a bit more annoying because, during the minute or two while the screen is frozen, I'm completely locked out of being able to use the phone, apps, map, etc. Again, though, since this has happened only a handful of times in almost 2 years of ownership, I haven't been especially concerned.
Old 10-03-18, 03:14 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is a 2015 es350 with nav, but yea 6 months of ownership and nothing like this. It was so weird but doesnt seem serious. If it happens again, I'll update.
Old 10-03-18, 05:40 PM
mcmike522
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lesz
I bought my 2017 ES in November of 2016. A day or two after I bought the car, the system re-booted, and the same thing happened 2 or 3 weeks later. But it has not happened at all in the almost 2 years since then.

If it was happening on regular basis, I would be concerned, but with it only having happened a couple of times in almost 2 years, I'm not inclined to be worried about it.

Something that has also happened with the infotainment system on my ES about a half dozen times is that, when I've navigated to the phone screen to check my call history, contacts, or emails, the screen has frozen. When that has happened, after about a minute or two, the screen has unfrozen (without the system rebooting). I've found this behavior to be a bit more annoying because, during the minute or two while the screen is frozen, I'm completely locked out of being able to use the phone, apps, map, etc. Again, though, since this has happened only a handful of times in almost 2 years of ownership, I haven't been especially concerned.
I agree it is annoying when computerized systems don't respond because they are doings tasks that can probably get done in the background.
Not sure how Lexus wrote their code, but maybe the system is set to suspend usage of the infotainment system while the system downloads a ton of information from your phone. I guess you could try a phone with only a couple contacts and a couple entries for call history and only a couple songs and see if that is the case. There is also the chance it is the phone's software fault that communications are locking up. I seriously doubt a Lexus dealer would have a Bluetooth sniffer tool necessary to monitor the phone/car communications and figure out what is the cause of your lockups.
Old 10-04-18, 11:03 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

my 17 did that for a bit too.

probably about 4 times max in a year.
Old 05-13-24, 06:34 PM
scottp461
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2017 ES 300h was seriously heat damaged by being too close to a fully engulfed vehicle while parked (it was 10 day old!)

It was in the body shop for 4 months. During the drive home (after being repaired) the infotainment system rebooted once; it never happened again. Assumed that it sat unused for too long and needed to resynchronize or something.

Cut to a couple of weeks ago. Waiting in line at a drive thru it just rebooted. Took just a few seconds, then back to normal; nothing since. As mentioned by others, won’t be concerned unless it becomes a thing!