ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 es 350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 05:00 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2013 es 350 ?

Looking at a '13 ES 350, one owner, clean carfax, very clean inside and out, just a few minor rock rash spots on the front bumper/grill area. 28,000 miles on the clock, dealer has offered to make it a CPO vehicle for an additional $2000 +/-. Dealer says the CPO certification adds 2 yrs/unlimited mileage on the major components (similar to the original bumper to bumper ) with exclusions on brake pads and other wearable items. Dealer performed all routine/normal maintenance on the 2013, was purchased new at the same dealer, and traded back in on another new Lexus along with another car (1998 BMW with <12K miles on it). Dealer says the previous owner has 4-6 cars, and just drives the one he feels like driving that day.

I've cruised this section reading about the dependability of the ES model, Lexus in general, Toyota in general, and the general lack of problems for the most part. I have seen some posts that pointed out some issues but nothing glaring or consistent, that I could find anyways.

My question to the group is, would it be wise to get the CPO option for a 2013 with only 28,000 miles? I've seen the numerous comments about the costs of normal/routine service for oil changes, etc., and the option of going to a Toyota dealer for routine service. Routine service is not my concern, it's the major components as there is only the driver train and corrosion warranties remaining for less than 12 months IIRC.

Anyone have issues with the AC, water pumps, any big ticket items????

TIA
Old 11-25-18, 05:12 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Save your money...
Old 11-25-18, 05:55 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Save your money...
Just to be clear, I think you are suggesting that he/she should save his/her money by not doing the CPO certification, and you are not suggesting that he/she should save money by not buying the 2013 ES. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-25-18, 06:19 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I can't speak more highly about my 2013 ES 350. Yes, the $2000. for the CPO certification Les...
Old 11-25-18, 07:16 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Very reliable drivetrain that they’ve been using since 2007. Is it just major components or close to an actual bumper to bumper? You’d probably have to drive a ton of miles in the next two years in order to actually get your money’s worth regardless. Good luck!
Old 11-25-18, 07:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Yes, there is a chance that, in the next two years, you could have a need for repairs whose cost would exceed the $2000+ that you would be paying for the CPO certification and warranty, but the chances of that happening are quite small. Even without the CPO warranty, you would still have a good amount of time left on the factory power train warranty. Other than items covered by the power train warranty, the most expensive repairs would likely be ones to items related to the car's electronics, but, the chances that you would have need for such repairs that cost more than $2000+ are fairly small.

One item that I would suggest checking out is the amount of tread remaining on the tires. With 28,000 miles on the odometer, the tires are likely to be at least 2/3 worn. Thus, you might want to include putting new tires on the car as a part of your negotiations. If the car was to be certified, if there is less than 5/32" of tread left, the tires would have to be replaced to meet CPO requirements.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-18, 12:30 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I wouldn't spend the 2 grand for the cpo certification. My 2013 has 46K miles on it.. haven't experienced one mechanical issue yet and dont expect I will. Even when I bought my car new, I declined the "extended warranty". No absolute guarantee's that you won't run into an issue, but the odds are really good that you won't. I wouldn't get it.

Roland
Old 11-26-18, 03:05 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Very reliable drivetrain that they’ve been using since 2007. Is it just major components or close to an actual bumper to bumper? You’d probably have to drive a ton of miles in the next two years in order to actually get your money’s worth regardless. Good luck!
The dealer called the CPO warranty similar to a bumper to bumper with the exclusions. It would be a LCertified car and I know that the written terms would be guidelines, not a "true" bumper to bumper like on a new car. From what I've read online, it would be "similar" to a bumper to bumper warranty with some exclusions. I have not read the supplement or actual documents, only on the Lexus website.
Old 11-26-18, 03:09 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, there is a chance that, in the next two years, you could have a need for repairs whose cost would exceed the $2000+ that you would be paying for the CPO certification and warranty, but the chances of that happening are quite small. Even without the CPO warranty, you would still have a good amount of time left on the factory power train warranty. Other than items covered by the power train warranty, the most expensive repairs would likely be ones to items related to the car's electronics, but, the chances that you would have need for such repairs that cost more than $2000+ are fairly small.

One item that I would suggest checking out is the amount of tread remaining on the tires. With 28,000 miles on the odometer, the tires are likely to be at least 2/3 worn. Thus, you might want to include putting new tires on the car as a part of your negotiations. If the car was to be certified, if there is less than 5/32" of tread left, the tires would have to be replaced to meet CPO requirements.

Good luck.
Dealer installed new Michelins before I ever saw it on their lot. The radio worked just fine, the navi worked as did the mouse, and heated/cooled seats. Just need to check every item out before signing on the dotted line.
Old 11-26-18, 07:15 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

>Yes, there is a chance that, in the next two years, you could have a need for repairs whose cost would exceed the $2000+ that you would be paying for the CPO certification and warranty, but the chances of that happening are quite small.

I'm not so sure, there was a flaw in the sunroof, leading to rattles that were extremely hard to track down. The repair involved the removal replacement of the entire sunroof assembly, an extremely expensive repair if not covered by warranty.
Drive the car over bumpy pavement and listen for rattles coming from above and behind you. The problem existed in many cars (I first heard about it in a relatives LS...). It was particularly a problem in '13-'16 models. Look around this forum and you'll find reports (including my me).

I would be surprised if your dealer would willingly cover that repair.
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe

Old 11-26-18, 08:25 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Will roam around the forum on the moon roof issue.

Has anyone updated the navi system, and is it worth it to do it??? I'm thinking to ask for it as part of the deal but wife has Wayz and google maps on her phone, so not a deal breaker since it's a PITB to try and use the navi system while in motion if at all.
Old 11-26-18, 08:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

One thing to keep in mind when using a cell phone navigation app. If you are in the sticks and there is no cellular service, you will not have navigation. A satellite system would still be working just fine. I found this out this past weekend in my nephew's car. We were looking for a restaurant and had to guess for about 10 minutes which way to go. This was in South Carolina. Just an FYI.
Old 11-26-18, 10:11 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

SC can't be any worse than TN, some of our roads are wide enough for one vehicle (aka tractor or 4 wheeler LOL). Yeah, I'm aware of cell phone limitations, but I grew up in, and traveled most of the eastern part of TN the majority of my life. I just keep headed toward a larger town and will get a bearing soon. LOL.
Old 11-26-18, 10:29 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
One thing to keep in mind when using a cell phone navigation app. If you are in the sticks and there is no cellular service, you will not have navigation. A satellite system would still be working just fine.
Can be easily solved with $10 Copilot app that comes with all North America maps stored on the phone. It includes free lifetime map updates too - unlike the built in navigation.

Another option is to preload and cash the Google maps for the area you are driving in - but this requires some advanced planning as the largest area that can be stored is about 50x50 miles AFAIK .
Old 11-27-18, 09:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Save your money. CPO's actual cost is pennies to a dollar. Statistically you will be ahead if you kept the money. Your basic warranty will cover pretty much the major items. It is a Lexus so you can breathe. If you feel better in paying the dealer, its your money, go for it. I did buy the extended warranty on my RX from the dealer and boy I made sure they serviced my car on all of the recalls and the issues I found on the database. Win-win, and yes it cost me $2k.

But today, I will keep my $2k. Cars are more (Lexus and Toyota) reliable. Did you see how Toyota stepped up and owned the dashboard recall? To keep loyal Toyota-Lexus customers satisfied (note, not happy, but satisfied).

Quick Reply: 2013 es 350 ?