ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Screen/radio keeps resetting, 2018 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 06:01 AM
chrisdan57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screen/radio keeps resetting, 2018 ES 350

It doesnt seem to cause any problems other than it annoys me. The screen will go black and then restart. It only takes a second and then comes right back on. I also noticed that one of the radio station (AM Sports talk) seems to change reception. It will be clear and then seems to be more base and not as clear. It is almost like driving near electrical wires only less static just different reception. Anyone else having similar problems?
Old 11-29-18, 06:09 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I too have the 2018 ES350 and have none of these problems.
I think you need to get it checked.
Old 11-29-18, 06:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

When I bought my 2017 ES in the fall of 2016, about a week after I got the car, the radio/infotainment system rebooted as you have described. It happened again a few weeks later. In the 2 years or so since then, it has not happened again. On the various CL Lexus model forums, you will occasionally find reports of similar reboots.

As far as the reception changes with AM sports radio, I assume you are referring to 670 Score radio. If that is the case, that station is one that is HD radio capable. If you are driving in a location where a strong HD signal is being received, you will be getting the HD signal from that station, but, when you drive through an area where the HD signal is not strong enough, the radio will revert to picking up and using the normal AM signal, and that is why you are hearing varying audio quality. If the switching back and forth is happening too often and if it is annoying, you can go into the radio settings and disable the HD signal. If you do that, you won't get the higher quality HD radio signals, but you will not be having the signal switch back and forth between the HD signal and the normal AM signal.
Old 11-29-18, 09:12 AM
chrisdan57
Driver School Candidate

Lesz, you are correct it is wscr. that explains it. Thank you!
Old 11-29-18, 12:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

If your system continues to reboot on its own, you might try manually rebooting the system to see if that fixes the problem. You can do a manual reboot by pushing and holding the volume down button on the steering wheel for about 20 seconds. I haven't done a manual reboot myself, but there have been posts here in which people have said that doing a manual reboot has solved a variety of problems.
The following users liked this post:
SugarmillM (11-30-18)
Old 11-30-18, 08:42 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
When I bought my 2017 ES in the fall of 2016, about a week after I got the car, the radio/infotainment system rebooted as you have described. It happened again a few weeks later. In the 2 years or so since then, it has not happened again..
I have owned my 2018 ES 350 for two days but have already experienced this rebooting for no apparent reason. I will keep an eye on it and try the manual reboot described, if needed.
Thanks for the heads up on this!!
Old 02-09-20, 09:43 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarmillM
I have owned my 2018 ES 350 for two days but have already experienced this rebooting for no apparent reason. I will keep an eye on it and try the manual reboot described, if needed.
Thanks for the heads up on this!!
My 2018 ES300h is doing the same - did your problem go away?
Old 01-15-21, 05:45 PM
LexyLover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2015 IS350 started doing this about half a year ago, honestly just got worse over time... sometimes it would reboot and just turn off completely for 30minutes at a time before it resets again.. honestly really annoying, took it to the dealership and they want 2200 to replace the headset, which I don't know if that is even the problem, I don't want to sink 2200 on a "guess"
Old 01-16-21, 07:23 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had a similar problem on occasion with my 2017 although it only happens at startup. In my case its most likely due to not driving the car enough and letting the battery charge drop off. Plus my battery is over 3 years old now. Once the car is running there is no problem. Could be a battery situation with your car. Another possibility might be checking the Lexus website to see if there are any updates available for your system.
Old 01-16-21, 10:03 AM
LexyLover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found the pattern, if I let the car sit over night, the turns on and starts up just fine, then when I drive for, say, 30minutes and turn the car off, say to get gas, and I turn the car on again it has that problem, and sometimes won't even turn on for 30minutes. Getting really annoying, as listening to radio and tunes is a big part of the driving experience
Old 01-16-21, 02:29 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I don"t have experience with this specific problem but whenever I have had similar experiences, it was always solved by replacing the battery - even if the battery tested good. It always left me wondering if the problem was the battery or the connection of the battery cable that caused the problem but because the condition was eliminated, never to return, I didn't care.

Dave Mac
Old 09-24-21, 02:29 AM
dallison
Intermediate

My 2016 with 72k keeps rebooting. The manual reset doesn't work. I disconnected the battery, removed the fuses and let it sit overnight with no success. Hopefully the remaining part of the certified warranty will cover this. What a PITA.
Old 09-25-21, 03:02 AM
dallison
Intermediate

Dead radio covered under warranty.
Old 09-25-21, 01:48 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison
Dead radio covered under warranty.

like you went in to the dealership and they said they will change it for you?

mine rebooted one time since I’ve had it for 4 weeks
Old 09-25-21, 01:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison
My 2016 with 72k keeps rebooting. The manual reset doesn't work. I disconnected the battery, removed the fuses and let it sit overnight with no success. Hopefully the remaining part of the certified warranty will cover this. What a PITA.
where’s your car assembled?

Quick Reply: Screen/radio keeps resetting, 2018 ES 350