Mark Levinson Audio for an ES 350 Base

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 07:43 PM
sj2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Audio for an ES 350 Base

Hello fellow Audiophiles,

I am planning to get a base ES 350 (2104 or 2015). I love high quality sound and have heard great review of ML audio.

What is a good way of getting an ML Audio in the used car ? Can I instal an ML Audio system after the purchase or do I have to buy the ultra luxury package (assuming I can get the package installed after buying the used Lexus ES 350). I am researching the used ES 350 and do not find lot of such cars with ML Audio.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-18, 12:09 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Even though I don’t have detailed technical knowledge on this subject, I can almost guarantee you that it is close to impossible to retrofit ML audio. The amplifiers and the speakers are completely different. I’m pretty sure you also need partially different interior trim parts to fit the speakers.
Of course, nothing is impossible, but the cost would be astronomically high.
Old 12-08-18, 04:07 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

You would probably be $$ ahead if you upgraded the speakers, a little sound deadener material in the doors and go from there. Crutchfield is a good place to find the speakers and other goodies needed to do the upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (12-11-18)
Old 12-08-18, 04:41 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by OBLexus
Even though I don’t have detailed technical knowledge on this subject, I can almost guarantee you that it is close to impossible to retrofit ML audio. The amplifiers and the speakers are completely different. I’m pretty sure you also need partially different interior trim parts to fit the speakers.
Of course, nothing is impossible, but the cost would be astronomically high.
l agree with the above quoted post. The cost of buying and retrofitting an ML system into a base ES would be, I'm sure, shockingly expensive.

If you want to buy a base ES with ML, I doubt that you will find one. I'm not sure if Lexus even built any Generation 6 base ES with ML. I haven't seen, read, or heard about any. In the early years of the Generation 6 ES run, the only ML-equipped cars were likely to be UL package cars. Toward the end of the Generation 6 ES run, most ML-equipped cars were still UL cars, but I believe there were a few Luxury package ES biult with the ML system.

If you really want the ML system, I suspect it would be considerably less expensive to buy an UL car than it would be to buy a base ES and to retrofit the ML system into it. My guess would be that, for the same money that it would cost to retrofit a ML system into a base ES, not only could you buy an UL ES, but you could probably buy one that was a year or two newer.
Old 12-08-18, 05:41 AM
sj2k
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for great response. So cannot do retrofit.

Can I opt for an UL Package after buying a base ES 350 ? Any idea how much this upgrade will cost ?

Originally Posted by lesz
l agree with the above quoted post. The cost of buying and retrofitting an ML system into a base ES would be, I'm sure, shockingly expensive.

If you want to buy a base ES with ML, I doubt that you will find one. I'm not sure if Lexus even built any Generation 6 base ES with ML. I haven't seen, read, or heard about any. In the early years of the Generation 6 ES run, the only ML-equipped cars were likely to be UL package cars. Toward the end of the Generation 6 ES run, most ML-equipped cars were still UL cars, but I believe there were a few Luxury package ES biult with the ML system.

If you really want the ML system, I suspect it would be considerably less expensive to buy an UL car than it would be to buy a base ES and to retrofit the ML system into it. My guess would be that, for the same money that it would cost to retrofit a ML system into a base ES, not only could you buy an UL ES, but you could probably buy one that was a year or two newer.
Old 12-08-18, 06:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 657 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by sj2k
Can I opt for an UL Package after buying a base ES 350 ? Any idea how much this upgrade will cost ?
Base is just that, base. If you want the UL package, you'll need to look for a UL ES.
Old 12-08-18, 06:15 AM
sj2k
Driver School Candidate

Oh ok. Thanks
Originally Posted by Mike728
Base is just that, base. If you want the UL package, you'll need to look for a UL ES.
Old 12-08-18, 10:21 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I purchased a new 2018 ES this year with everything but the ML system and my audio system sounds incredible and I am very picky.

PatrickAz (09-16-20)
Old 12-08-18, 06:55 PM
F4injected
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimInTN
You would probably be $$ ahead if you upgraded the speakers, a little sound deadener material in the doors and go from there. Crutchfield is a good place to find the speakers and other goodies needed to do the upgrade.

Yeah, I think i saw some where that ML package was +$3.5k. For that money, you could get some serious aftermarket equipment (fronts, tweeters, rears, sub, crossovers, DSP, amps, etc).
Old 12-10-18, 06:26 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with others. It's probably better to get a base, then afterwards install a 3rd party system.
Old 12-11-18, 04:44 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sj2k
Hello fellow Audiophiles,

I am planning to get a base ES 350 (2104 or 2015). I love high quality sound and have heard great review of ML audio.

What is a good way of getting an ML Audio in the used car ? Can I instal an ML Audio system after the purchase or do I have to buy the ultra luxury package (assuming I can get the package installed after buying the used Lexus ES 350). I am researching the used ES 350 and do not find lot of such cars with ML Audio.

Thanks in advance
Over the years, I've found the base system on Lexus to be quite good. We've been driving Lexus since the beginning, 1991 ES250, and the audio was always good whether the base or the ML. If you want the ML, up your game, all prices are negotiable.
Old 12-12-18, 03:21 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't waste your money on ML. If you have the base system you are probably better off looking at aftermarket systems. Look at better speakers and go from there. Lexus spends more money on advertising ML, than they put into the actual system.
PatrickAz (09-16-20)
Old 12-12-18, 03:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 657 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Don't waste your money on ML. If you have the base system you are probably better off looking at aftermarket systems. Look at better speakers and go from there. Lexus spends more money on advertising ML, than they put into the actual system.
The OP should take a listen for his/her self. Everyone has an opinion, but no one is a better judge than their own ears. I'm vary pleased with my ML and see no need to try and improve it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
hisstojay (03-25-19), jollick (12-13-18)
Old 12-12-18, 05:16 PM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ML system and like it, but I still had to put in a better sub in the trunk to really feel it. Now I love my system when before it was just pretty good. That being said, if you get a base system and don't fully like it once you get it, go to a very reputable aftermarket shop to upgrade. Don't go cheap on the installation because you want it done right. With aftermarket parts you can integrate fully with the stock headunit and get better sound than the ML system for far less than the option price from Lexus.
Old 12-13-18, 07:36 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Produced by WIRED Brand Lab for Lexus | We conducted an experiment to find out how the Lexus ES sound system compares to one of the most perfect acoustic environments in the world, the Santa Fe Opera.
Check this out. http://video.wired.com/watch/car-spe...ired-brand-lab

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio for an ES 350 Base