ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Headlight on/off

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 12:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
But, "Auto" setting does the same thing. They stay on for as long as the timer is set.
Yes, that is true, but, like I said before, it is often the case that I turn on the lights manually at dusk because it isn't yet dark enough for the sensor to decide to turn on the lights in the Auto position. In any case, these are definitely 1st world problems.
Old 12-21-18, 04:51 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

IL (and other states) have "Headlights on with windshield wiper" laws. It would be up to the
the digression of Officer Friendly as to whether our lovely LED DRL's would constitute a
full headlight or not. Additionally the spirit of the law is visibility and DRL's do not turn on the
taillights. Turn the main light switch on for Low Beams and Taillights and the system will turn
them off as everyone seems to agree.
Old 12-21-18, 07:33 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So can I program the car to shut off the lights with my key fob, with my lights on “on”
Old 12-21-18, 11:00 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I’m surprised the “headlights on with wipers” feature is not available. My 2004 Chrysler had that option and you could activate or deactivate it.
Old 12-22-18, 05:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
So can I program the car to shut off the lights with my key fob, with my lights on “on”
There is nothing to program. That is the way it should work by default.
Old 12-22-18, 06:20 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

So something is wrong with my car

Old 12-22-18, 06:34 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

So something is wrong with my car

As I said in earlier posts, when you are testing to see if it works, you have to start the car or have the ignition in the Acc position before you turn the headlights on. Only then, after you shut down the engine, leave the car, and close the door, can you test to see if headlights go off automatically or if the double click of the fob is working properly.

If you are testing by just turning on the headlights with the ignition in the off position, the lights will not shut off automatically, and the double fob click won't work either.

So, the question is, are you testing in the way that I described? If you aren't, there is no way to know whether everything is working properly or not.
Old 12-23-18, 08:54 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

It’s still not working. Only turns off on “auto”
Old 12-24-18, 05:51 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

It’s still not working. Only turns off on “auto”
Please explain the exact steps that you are doing to determine that this is the case.

Also, please tell us what the settings are that you have for the Exterior Lights Timer and Auto Headlights Timer.
Old 12-24-18, 07:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks, Les. You are correct that I did not have the car in Acc, or running. I will retest at a later date.
Today I took a drive in the ES for the first time in awhile. When I got home, I remembered this thread. As I was pulling down the driveway, I switched the headlights to the "On" position. I turned it off and again ignored the buzzer. I clicked the fob 2x, which did nothing more than lock the doors 2x. I let it sit for 5 minutes and went back to it. Lights were still on.

As I may have mentioned earlier, this is not a big deal to me. It works as I would expect it to. From the results being posted, it appears that Lexus may have changed something after the 2013 model year that allows you to leave the switch in the "On" position without worries. Les, if your old 2013 worked like your 2017, I don't know what to say. I don't know what trim the OP has, but if it's a UL, maybe that's the common denominator. I remember your '13 was not a UL.
Old 12-24-18, 07:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Today I took a drive in the ES for the first time in awhile. When I got home, I remembered this thread. As I was pulling down the driveway, I switched the headlights to the "On" position. I turned it off and again ignored the buzzer. I clicked the fob 2x, which did nothing more than lock the doors 2x. I let it sit for 5 minutes and went back to it. Lights were still on.

As I may have mentioned earlier, this is not a big deal to me. It works as I would expect it to. From the results being posted, it appears that Lexus may have changed something after the 2013 model year that allows you to leave the switch in the "On" position without worries. Les, if your old 2013 worked like your 2017, I don't know what to say. I don't know what trim the OP has, but if it's a UL, maybe that's the common denominator. I remember your '13 was not a UL.
Yes, my 2013, which was a Luxury package ES, worked exactly the same way as does my 2017 Ultra Luxury ES.

When I have the headlights in the Auto position, they turn off with a delay per what is set in the Auto Headlights Timer setting. When the headlights are in the manual On position, they turn off with a delay per what is set in the Exterior Lights Timer setting. With either the Auto position or the On position, a double click of the Lock button on the fob will turn the headlights off after I have exited the car and closed the door.

Have you tried both a fast double click and a slower double click of the fob button? I recall some reporting here that the speed with which they click the button can make a difference with regard to whether the remote starter works. Perhaps, it makes a difference here, too.

If I was the OP and if it was important to me to have the headlights turn off with the timers or with the double click of the fob button, I would try resetting all of the light settings to their defaults. I would then shut down the engine. Then, after a re-start of the engine, I would set the light settings back to what I wanted them to be and, then, check to see if that changed anything.

Last edited by lesz; 12-24-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-24-18, 08:58 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, my 2013, which was a Luxury package ES, worked exactly the same way as does my 2017 Ultra Luxury ES.

When I have the headlights in the Auto position, they turn off with a delay per what is set in the Auto Headlights Timer setting. When the headlights are in the manual On position, they turn off with a delay per what is set in the Exterior Lights Timer setting. With either the Auto position or the On position, a double click of the Lock button on the fob will turn the headlights off after I have exited the car and closed the door.

Have you tried both a fast double click and a slower double click of the fob button? I recall some reporting here that the speed with which they click the button can make a difference with regard to whether the remote starter works. Perhaps, it makes a difference here, too.

If I was the OP and if it was important to me to have the headlights turn off with the timers or with the double click of the fob button, I would try resetting all of the light settings to their defaults. I would then shut down the engine. Then, after a re-start of the engine, I would set the light settings back to what I wanted them to be and, then, check to see if that changed anything.

ill try to reset everything to default and report back. Thanks for the help
Old 12-24-18, 10:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz

The fob speed for remote start operation was reported by me in the 7th gen forum. I use the fob all the time to quickly turn off the lights on my 2013. I really don't think button pressing speed would be any different, if it worked in the On position. When my headlights are set to Auto, the lights will turn off at the setting in the Headlight Auto-OFF Timer setting of 30 sec's. My Exterior Lights Off Timer is set to default, 15 sec's. I never really paid attention to that setting, though.

I wish mcomer would chime in here, regarding this. If he thinks mine is acting improperly, I could take it over and show him.
Old 01-06-19, 10:02 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Even my moms 2003 Camry LE can shut off the lights with two clicks on the key fob. What’s wrong with the ES? I went in to settings and changed everything and still no luck.
Old 01-07-19, 04:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Even my moms 2003 Camry LE can shut off the lights with two clicks on the key fob. What’s wrong with the ES? I went in to settings and changed everything and still no luck.
Mine are the same as yours. Nothing you can do about it.

It never occurred to me that anyone would have a need to leave the switch set the switch to "On", though.

Quick Reply: Headlight on/off