ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission changes fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 03:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Regarding the transmission fluid change debate, seems to me that there are many, many posts by so called "experts" that really know very little to nothing about Lexus/Toyota transmissions - or any other vehicle transmissions - but post statements and instructions nonetheless. I've said it before but requires repeating that a company like Toyota that produces expensive luxury cars, would not instruct owners to ignore their transmissions and not open them to refresh the fluid if it was not beneficial to the car owner AND THE COMPANY.
There are some members on here that state that the color change indicates that the fluid is deteriorating. Then there are others that say it has no bearing. This debate has been posted so many times that it is IMO actually annoying. Wanna change your tranny fluid and risk damage? Go for it. Wanna go by the manufacturers recommendations and leave it alone? Go for it...
Wanna read about 100 posts regarding this subject? Do a search and you'll read one after another saying the same thing over and over...

I trust Toyota and will probably be checking out before my transmission checks out...
The following users liked this post:
Albo (08-14-19)
Old 08-13-19, 05:28 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Yep. It is my car/opinion/money/time and I can to do whatever with it.
At the end of the day, it is only a car (or money).
Old 08-13-19, 09:25 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Regarding the transmission fluid change debate, seems to me that there are many, many posts by so called "experts" that really know very little to nothing about Lexus/Toyota transmissions - or any other vehicle transmissions - but post statements and instructions nonetheless. I've said it before but requires repeating that a company like Toyota that produces expensive luxury cars, would not instruct owners to ignore their transmissions and not open them to refresh the fluid if it was not beneficial to the car owner AND THE COMPANY.
There are some members on here that state that the color change indicates that the fluid is deteriorating. Then there are others that say it has no bearing. This debate has been posted so many times that it is IMO actually annoying. Wanna change your tranny fluid and risk damage? Go for it. Wanna go by the manufacturers recommendations and leave it alone? Go for it...
Wanna read about 100 posts regarding this subject? Do a search and you'll read one after another saying the same thing over and over...

I trust Toyota and will probably be checking out before my transmission checks out...
So, it seems that some people’s conclusion is post or not post, read or don’t read, what the hell, it doesn’t really matter. And in the grand scheme of things, cars don't really matter. As long as they get you from A to B. However these forums are generally for people who have an interest in understanding their cars, learning how to look after them, fixing them, and having some long term reliability.

Having said all that, I’m not sure why some disparage others who are trying to make sense of conflicting opinions and guidance, try to get the facts and then they themselves profess blind faith. It’s ok to have blind faith, but it’s not ok to disrespect others who don’t.

And I still don’t understand how something can last for a “lifetime “ , unless the definition of lifetime, is until it fails.
Old 08-13-19, 09:35 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800
So, it seems that some people’s conclusion is post or not post, read or don’t read, what the hell, it doesn’t really matter. And in the grand scheme of things, cars don't really matter. As long as they get you from A to B. However these forums are generally for people who have an interest in understanding their cars, learning how to look after them, fixing them, and having some long term reliability.

Having said all that, I’m not sure why some disparage others who are trying to make sense of conflicting opinions and guidance, try to get the facts and then they themselves profess blind faith. It’s ok to have blind faith, but it’s not ok to disrespect others who don’t.

And I still don’t understand how something can last for a “lifetime “ , unless the definition of lifetime, is until it fails.
Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

BTW, I am in my mid 40s and certainly don’t wish to check out before my tranny checks out. Have other cars in mind ( LC500 perhaps to start with) after my kids finish college in a few years.
Old 08-14-19, 08:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I'm not disparaging or criticizing anyone. However, these "conflicting opinions and guidance" posts have been going on literally for years on this forum. State your opinion but don't go on and on about it. like I said, change it if you want and don't change it if you don't want to. Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion(s). But after a while it gets old, very old... Looks like we'll just have to wait about 20 years to see who made the right decision... And when anyone says "lifetime" I wonder whose lifetime they're talking about...And I don't plan on checking out anytime soon...In the meantime, whew! enough is enough...
jollick (08-14-19)
Old 08-14-19, 10:19 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

BC6152, wasn’t my intent to single you out, sorry if it came across that way. Was referencing some of the content in your post such as the “experts”.

cheers.
bc6152 (08-14-19)
Old 08-14-19, 10:55 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm 25 and know nothing about transmissions. With that said, after reading all these posts and other threads regarding this I can see how it can be a little annoying. This is probably the most talked about topic that isnt a sticky. Just read what has been already talked about at nauseoum. New posts about a topic like this seems like overkill, especially for people that are on these forums frequently. I dont drive more than 10k a year, so if the car lasts 10 years, 100k miles, I'm happy. And I'll get a new car after that. I guess their definition of lifetime simply means, the last thing to fail on the car. Anyway that is my uneducated/uninformed guess/opinion. Love all the content here regardless
Old 08-14-19, 01:05 PM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Albo
I'm 25 and know nothing about transmissions. With that said, after reading all these posts and other threads regarding this I can see how it can be a little annoying. This is probably the most talked about topic that isnt a sticky. Just read what has been already talked about at nauseoum. New posts about a topic like this seems like overkill, especially for people that are on these forums frequently. I dont drive more than 10k a year, so if the car lasts 10 years, 100k miles, I'm happy. And I'll get a new car after that. I guess their definition of lifetime simply means, the last thing to fail on the car. Anyway that is my uneducated/uninformed guess/opinion. Love all the content here regardless
While I agree with you, a car lasting 10 years is typically good enough for most people. However, my 2013's transmission just died because I took Toyota's word for it and didn't get the fluid drained and filled. I talked to Lexus corporate, and they told me it should have been done. I guess for people like me, who drive about 30k miles a year, it would be a better idea to get it replaced. But I agree, if I drove 10k miles a year, I wouldn't bother and would probably get a new car. The dealer that changed my transmission recommended a drain and fill (not flush), after every 100k miles at a minimum.
Albo (08-14-19)
Old 08-15-19, 01:09 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by supaman1o1
my 2013's transmission just died because I took Toyota's word for it and didn't get the fluid drained and filled. I talked to Lexus corporate, and they told me it should have been done.

How many miles were on your 2013 when it failed? is it a 350 or 300h?
Old 08-15-19, 01:18 PM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gamma742
How many miles were on your 2013 when it failed? is it a 350 or 300h?
About 122k miles.
Old 08-16-19, 08:25 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

About 122k miles.

Was it a ES350 or an ES300h?
Old 08-17-19, 06:55 AM
Steve19067
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. I talked to Lexus corporate, and they told me it should have been done. .
Lexus corporate told you that?? I hope you got that in writing. Sounds like you have a claim there since the owners manual says differently.
Old 08-17-19, 12:29 PM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gamma742
Was it a ES350 or an ES300h?
It is an ES 350.
Old 08-17-19, 12:32 PM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Steve19067
Lexus corporate told you that?? I hope you got that in writing. Sounds like you have a claim there since the owners manual says differently.
That's what she said. She was very unhelpful. She told me that they couldn't do anything, because I went to a Toyota dealership, and they don't have control over them since it's an "independent dealer" and not a Lexus dealer.

And yeah, the maintenance manual says nothing about it. I've followed everything it says and always did preventive maintenance.
Old 08-18-19, 02:13 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Something else to keep in mind when deciding to service your transmission or not. There are 2 different types of filters for the Toyota/Lexus sealed transmissions (not CVT). My wife's 2015 4Runner Limited has a "screen" which is all metal and will not filter out microscopic particles. My Lexus has a paper filter element, made to filter out all particles just like an engine oil filter. Both are "considered" sealed transmissions with lifetime fluid. The 4Runner does recommend transmission service for towing etc.

There is a big difference between the two. A paper filter element has a limited life before it gets dirty enough to reduce flow, regardless of fluid condition. The metal screen can last forever under normal conditions. The paper filter element is better for filtering purposes, but it becomes a liability if flow is compromised.

Again, to each there own on what you want to do. I am just putting this out there for those who are undecided. Hope this helps.
st1800 (08-18-19)