ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pre-collusion malfunction light

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 05:34 PM
vacarteres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-collusion malfunction light

Has anyone experienced a problem with their PCS (as in a malfunction light)? Mine has come on several times in the last month. It is currently at the dealer. They claim (after keeping it for a week) that it's because they suddenly discovered a crack in my rear tail light (which I do not remember seeing and they did not document) that has been there for some time and the moisture is what is throwing the sensor off. I welcome your thoughts.
Old 01-09-19, 08:21 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

As my knowledge, a cracked rear taillight wont trigger your PCS light.
Reading thru the net, PCS works in conjunction with your front camera (windshield) and radar sensor (Behind "L" emblem)
Both up front.
They should be able to pull some codes.
If there isnt but the warning is on, they're probably still diagnosing the problem.
But for them to have it for a week and now blaming a rear taillight is total BS.
For me, it seems like a bad/dirty wave sensor <-- just a guess if no codes were found.
Old 01-09-19, 08:33 PM
vacarteres
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Nad1370;10405263]As my knowledge, a cracked rear taillight wont trigger your PCS light.
Reading thru the net, PCS works in conjunction with your front camera (windshield) and radar sensor (Behind "L" emblem)
Both up front.
They should be able to pull some codes.
If there isnt but the warning is on, they're probably still diagnosing the problem.
But for them to have it for a week and now blaming a rear taillight is total BS.
For me, it seems like a bad/dirty wave sensor <-- just a guess if no codes were found.[/QUOTE
I tend to agree. There are backup sensors, not sure if they are connected to PCS. They're saying the crack has caused water and condensation into the taillight. That's what is causing the problem with the "malfunction". Of course the crack in my taillight isn't covered by the warranty...so I get the bill!
Old 01-09-19, 08:46 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vacarteres
I tend to agree. There are backup sensors, not sure if they are connected to PCS. They're saying the crack has caused water and condensation into the taillight. That's what is causing the problem with the "malfunction". Of course the crack in my taillight isn't covered by the warranty...so I get the bill!
There's no freaking way.
Back up sensors has nothing to do with the broken taillight...NOTHING. lol (unless theres damage on the bumper)
I'd question the techs expertise at this point. With respect of course.
Probably coudnt find the problem and took the broken taillight as fault.
Talk to the service manager or even ask HOW this "malfunction" connects to a broken rear taillight.
Old 01-09-19, 08:51 PM
vacarteres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
There's no freaking way.
Back up sensors has nothing to do with the broken taillight...NOTHING. lol (unless theres damage on the bumper)
I'd question the techs expertise at this point. With respect of course.
Probably coudnt find the problem and took the broken taillight as fault.
Talk to the service manager or even ask HOW this "malfunction" connects to a broken rear taillight.
Thanks! I'm going to call Corporate tomorrow as well.