ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How to get rid of smoke smell in interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19 | 01:17 PM
actright
Rookie

Default How to get rid of smoke smell in interior?

Just picked up a L/Certified ES350 last week, unfortunately the interior dressing that was put on at the dealership has faded and now left with the previous owners smoke scent.

Anyone have tips for getting rid of this horrid stench?

Thank You all

Club Lexus Forum Member (2nd Lexus)
Old 01-24-19 | 01:54 PM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

See if you can rent an ozone machine from a local dry cleaner,home renewal or the likes type business.
The following users liked this post:
actright (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19 | 02:10 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Years ago I totaled my company car. They gave me a replacement from a guy that was recently fired and the car was less than a year old. Unfortunately he was a heavy smoker and I wasn't. There were ashes everywhere. I cleaned the car interior with soap and water, scrubbed the carpets and seats, and my wife gave me a spray neutralizer. I sprayed the entire interior with the neutralizer and had NO cigarette smell at all. First off I would take the car back to the dealer and complain of the smell and let them detail it again. If they won't do it, and you're not a DIY person like me, have the car interior cleaned professionally then spray it yourself to make it permanent. This is a tough odor to eliminate and very annoying to smell each time you drive your car. I wish you GOOD LUCK!
actright (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19 | 03:44 PM
RAHBob
Driver School Candidate

First I would go back to the dealer and demand they detail the car again, if they won’t then go to Walmart and get a spray called Ozium it can be found in the Auto area. It may take several times treating the car, but it will finally remove the smoke smell. It’s best to spray the heck out of it then shut the door with all windows closed and let it sit overnight. Do that a few times and you should be good.
actright (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19 | 04:04 PM
actright
Rookie

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
See if you can rent an ozone machine from a local dry cleaner,home renewal or the likes type business.
just looked up this machine it looks bad ***!, it looks like something i can buy and use forever, like for the house or car or any odor situations!
Old 01-24-19 | 04:07 PM
actright
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
Years ago I totaled my company car. They gave me a replacement from a guy that was recently fired and the car was less than a year old. Unfortunately he was a heavy smoker and I wasn't. There were ashes everywhere. I cleaned the car interior with soap and water, scrubbed the carpets and seats, and my wife gave me a spray neutralizer. I sprayed the entire interior with the neutralizer and had NO cigarette smell at all. First off I would take the car back to the dealer and complain of the smell and let them detail it again. If they won't do it, and you're not a DIY person like me, have the car interior cleaned professionally then spray it yourself to make it permanent. This is a tough odor to eliminate and very annoying to smell each time you drive your car. I wish you GOOD LUCK!
nice initiative, I'm more likely to do it the same approach as you which is a full cleaning. Going to start with the carpets, and then a leather cleaner / conditioner that has a good scent with it like interior dressing. And the roof parts.

thank you for the feedback~!
Old 01-24-19 | 04:08 PM
actright
Rookie

Originally Posted by RAHBob
First I would go back to the dealer and demand they detail the car again, if they won’t then go to Walmart and get a spray called Ozium it can be found in the Auto area. It may take several times treating the car, but it will finally remove the smoke smell. It’s best to spray the heck out of it then shut the door with all windows closed and let it sit overnight. Do that a few times and you should be good.
this stuff looks great, I looked up the product, I'm going to go with the spray and I also found this air fresher looking device where I can leave it in the car like a scented candle. I'm going to try both of these products along with a full detail and cleaning. Thank you for the tip my friend, I will post the results after the deep clean
Old 01-24-19 | 07:22 PM
RAHBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by actright
this stuff looks great, I looked up the product, I'm going to go with the spray and I also found this air fresher looking device where I can leave it in the car like a scented candle. I'm going to try both of these products along with a full detail and cleaning. Thank you for the tip my friend, I will post the results after the deep clean
I would hold on the scented air fresher until you try the Ozium a couple times. You could have a smelly mess, not sure how they may work with one another and hate that you might have a worse smell to clean up.
actright (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19 | 06:37 AM
actright
Rookie

Originally Posted by RAHBob
I would hold on the scented air fresher until you try the Ozium a couple times. You could have a smelly mess, not sure how they may work with one another and hate that you might have a worse smell to clean up.
thank you chief! for the scent candle device I was talking about is this one! ok so I will use my other air scents after the ozium does the job!!

Rafadog (03-13-19)
Old 02-01-19 | 09:00 AM
actright
Rookie

this ozark stuff is working! i mean ozium!! its only been a week but the smoke stench has faded away, i think i might buy another and let it run for another month or so before i start using the car air scents i want to use
Old 02-02-19 | 07:25 AM
st1800
Advanced

Try unscented Febreeze in some warm water and a microfiber cloth. About 2oz in 1 gallon of water. I wipe it on all hard plastic as well as seats, carpet and headliner.

Test first, at your own risk . Worked for me, YMMV.