ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lackluster V6 on ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 09:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I had that 3.5 V6 in my RX350 and never found it wanting for power, and that was in an AWD vehicle that weighed more, so I am surprised to hear the OP state that it feels light on power.
I'll preface what I have to say by admitting that I started to drive like an old man...when I became an old man. At this point in my life, I am not concerned with how quickly I can get a vehicle from 0 to 60. What I am concerned about is, when I'm driving on a winding and hilly 2-lane road, being able to feel secure when I need to pull into the oncoming traffic lane to pass a slow-moving vehicle and being able to get safely back into my lane before I get to the next curve or the next hill. For those purposes, the 3.5 liter engine in the Generation 6 ES performs superbly. Its ability to use its power over a wide rpm range allows it quickly and confidently to go, say, from 45 mph to 60 mph.

I suspect that those who feel that the power of the ES is insufficient are likely people who should have done their homework better when they were making their car choice and that they may not have made the best choice for their driving needs or driving style.

Last edited by lesz; 02-19-19 at 11:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lesz:
hisstojay (02-19-19), jollick (02-19-19), signdetres (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 09:57 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

>The ES is basically for old people i guess, i'd have never ever considered one 10 years ago. or even 5 years ago.
My wife drives one
I don't...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 02-19-19, 11:23 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'll preface what I have to say by admitting that I started to drive like an old man...when I became an old man. At this point in my life, I am not concerned with how quickly I can get a vehicle from 0 to 60. What I am concerned about is, when I'm driving on a winding and hilly 2-lane road, being able to feel secure when I need to pull into the the oncoming traffic lane to pass a slow-moving vehicle and being able to get safely back into my lane before I get to the next curve or the next hill. For those purposes, the 3.5 liter engine in the Generation 6 ES performs superbly. Its ability to use its power over a wide rpm range allows it quickly and confidently to go, say, from 45 mph to 60 mph.

I suspect that those who feel that the power of the ES is insufficient are likely people who should have done their homework better when they were making their car choice and that they may not have made the best choice for their driving needs or driving style.
Very well said.

but at the same time, i can't blame people who are somewhat dissapointed at the ES ride. I was one of them, it was quite shocking to me. but i learned to love my car for what it is. a comfortable ride that won't break down the road. That's about all i can say about my ES.

but the engine lacking power? i never felt this way. i think the engine is more than adequate to power the ES. The issue is perhaps the way the power is delivered. And that would circle back to what i said before, drivetrain + transmission.

Again, this is not a sports sedan nor does it try to be one. it's a quiet, reliable and comfortable cruiser. nothing more, nothing less.
Old 02-19-19, 03:13 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Synthetic oil is specified by most manufacturers because it allows both longer
change intervals and increases MPG ratings. Lots of threads on how much
"slipperier" it is than Dead Dinosaur oil but it lets the motor turn easier...more
power...more punch?
No argument on synthetic oil increasing mpg's, but it won't put any more "punch" into a engine. You need to put more air and fuel into an engine to get more "punch". Raising the BS flag on this comment.
Old 02-20-19, 09:08 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts

Putting it on Sport mode really makes a difference, it basically puts a "hair trigger" on the throttle. I absolutely hate though that you have to put it on Sport mode every time you start the car, another silly "green" feature. The mpg difference is negligible and still comes down to how it's driven. You can get the same mileage in the regular mode.

I honestly think the V6 on it has plenty of power. I came from an LS430 with the V8, and this motor feels WAY punchier even though the V8 technically had more power. Just seems like the power band is in the right place with the ES. With the LS, you really had to rev it to get it going.

We really are spoiled in how crazy fast cars are now, a new ES 350 would probably beat many muscle cars up to about the 2000's on the drag strip. And it's considered the "old man" car of the Lexus lineup.
Old 02-21-19, 12:13 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts
Smile

1970 Dodge Challenger 440 six pack, 0-60 5.8 seconds

2014 Lexus ES 350 , 0-60 5.8 Seconds

The following users liked this post:
BradTank (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 12:39 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=lesz;10444613. At this point in my life, I am not concerned with how quickly I can get a vehicle from 0 to 60. What I am concerned about is, when I'm driving on a winding and hilly 2-lane road, being able to feel secure when I need to pull into the oncoming traffic lane to pass a slow-moving vehicle and being able to get safely back into my lane before I get to the next curve or the next hill. For those purposes, the 3.5 liter engine in the Generation 6 ES performs superbly. Its ability to use its power over a wide rpm range allows it quickly and confidently to go, say, from 45 mph to 60 mph.

I suspect that those who feel that the power of the ES is insufficient are likely people who should have done their homework better when they were making their car choice and that they may not have made the best choice for their driving needs or driving style.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Lesz on this one... While I have never been one to floor it when the light turns green, I also have never found it to be short on power.. I do tend to baby my cars.. In fact in my 5 years of owning my ES, I don't think I've ever had it up over 80 mph.. ever..... Normally run on the interstate around 75 mph... but on those few occasions when I had to pass a log truck for example on a two lane winding road, my little red es gets after it just fine...no complaints from me... Truthfully if you wanted a "performance" car, you shouldn't have been looking the ES to begin with.

hisstojay (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 01:09 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I agree with Lesz on this one... While I have never been one to floor it when the light turns green, I also have never found it to be short on power.. I do tend to baby my cars.. In fact in my 5 years of owning my ES, I don't think I've ever had it up over 80 mph.. ever..... Normally run on the interstate around 75 mph... but on those few occasions when I had to pass a log truck for example on a two lane winding road, my little red es gets after it just fine...no complaints from me... Truthfully if you wanted a "performance" car, you shouldn't have been looking the ES to begin with.
ES is luxury defined!!!!
Old 02-21-19, 07:27 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I have owned a 2007, 2010, 2016 and now a 2018 ES 350. The performance is great to me. I have have friends that have had Infiniti G35's and they have driven my cars... they are always amazed at how quick... to them the difference was that they couldn't tell that they were moving that fast in the ES compared to the G35. Handling... another story.
nuraman00 (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 09:35 AM
15ES350007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synthetic oil molecules are like tiny small round ***** (compared to conventional that has many different size molecules) and are all the same size, allowing lubrication in tighter tolerances in the engine and less friction for the engine to move the oil.
. It also can handle extreme heat better which aides in the additive package to last longer. I too was hoping the ES 350 V6 would be more sporty but it is a luxury model sedan.
Old 02-21-19, 10:10 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The GS and ES didn't get the same V6 until model year 2019 (2GR-FKS).

The 6th gen ES had the 2GR-FE (268hp), an engine I have loved very much! The current gen GS used the 2GR-FSE (306hp) from model years 2013-3015 and switched to the 2GR-FKS (311hp) from 2016-2019.
How do you know those engine model names?
Old 02-21-19, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
How do you know those engine model names?
Because I'm an enthusiast. And because I've owned each one.

Toyota/Lexus publishes the numbers in their product information sheets on each model, so they are easy to find. I enjoy researching them and learning about the differences of each.
signdetres (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 12:48 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Because I'm an enthusiast. And because I've owned each one.

Toyota/Lexus publishes the numbers in their product information sheets on each model, so they are easy to find. I enjoy researching them and learning about the differences of each.
Can you link to these product information sheets? I tried searching for the engine model, but I see them on external sites, not Lexus/Toyota websites themselves.
Old 02-21-19, 12:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Just go into google and search for it. I type, for example, "2018 Lexus ES350 Product Information" and get to this:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...info+sheet.htm

Click "Download File" and go to the Engine section. You'll see "Designation 2GR-FE".

Hope that helps.
nuraman00 (02-21-19)
Old 02-22-19, 01:00 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree the 2013-2018 ES350 V6 feels lackluster in general driving except at large throttle openings. Feels like the ignition timing is slightly retarded. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find that the 2019 V6 feels lively under all conditions and just the slightest touch of the gas pedal is all that's needed to maintain freeway speeds.

Quick Reply: Lackluster V6 on ES350