ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lackluster V6 on ES350

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 11:25 AM
RedRover
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
The ES ecu does not compensate for higher octane so it will run the same on either.
I agree. If an engine is designed to run on 87, running it on 91 won't help and the engine has no compensation.

BUT....if an engine is designed to run on 91, then it usually DOES compensate for the lower octane, such as most of the early ES models.
It does this by use of knock sensors and an ECM that can retard the timing slightly.
Here is a chart showing octane requirements of all the models. Note that this chart is from the mothership.
​​​​​​https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...xus-vehicle%3F

So, for me......who may buy a 2010 thru a 2014........I would assume that the 2010 and 2011 can compensate for the lower octane.
I guess we have to assume the OP has a 6th gen car.?
Old 03-05-19, 02:17 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRover
I agree. If an engine is designed to run on 87, running it on 91 won't help and the engine has no compensation.

BUT....if an engine is designed to run on 91, then it usually DOES compensate for the lower octane, such as most of the early ES models.
It does this by use of knock sensors and an ECM that can retard the timing slightly.
Here is a chart showing octane requirements of all the models. Note that this chart is from the mothership.

So, for me......who may buy a 2010 thru a 2014........I would assume that the 2010 and 2011 can compensate for the lower octane.
I do not believe that is really a Lexus web site, look at the URL. it is custhelp.com. Look at a genuine Lexus web site (lexus.com) to find the ES 350 in 2012 uses regular. http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...uxury+fuel.htm

From the 2011 ES 350 Product Information PDF, it also recommends 87 Octane Regular.https://pressroom.toyota.com/article...rticle_id=2662
The following users liked this post:
lesz (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 02:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I do not believe that is really a Lexus web site, look at the URL. it is custhelp.com. Look at a genuine Lexus web site (lexus.com) to find the ES 350 in 2012 uses regular. http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...uxury+fuel.htm

From the 2011 ES 350 Product Information PDF, it also recommends 87 Octane Regular.https://pressroom.toyota.com/article...rticle_id=2662
Yes, there are a number of entries in that link that are not consistent with what Lexus' actual recommendations are. For example, it says that, for the 2005 GX, 87 octane fuel is recommended. However, the manual for my 2005 GX says that 91 octane is recommended.
Old 03-05-19, 04:43 PM
RedRover
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! Not Lexus site?
If there are errors in that chart, please take them up with Lexus.
The other way you can get to that chart is

Go to Lexus.com That's real Lexus, right?
Click on Owners
Click on Resources
Go to FAQS on right and Click on the box called answers and you will be at https://lexus2.custhelp.com/
Old 03-06-19, 06:22 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

LOL! Not Lexus site?
If there are errors in that chart, please take them up with Lexus.
The other way you can get to that chart is

Go to Lexus.com That's real Lexus, right?
Click on Owners
Click on Resources
Go to FAQS on right and Click on the box called answers and you will be at https://lexus2.custhelp.com/
Yikes! That is weird, if you leave off the lexus2 it comes up as Oracle.

Last edited by jollick; 03-06-19 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 06:48 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

1. That does appear to be a genuine Lexus website

2. The ecu may be able to take info from the knock sensors and pull the timing, but that is probably not the best way to run your car if you want long term reliability.

3. Yes, since he posted this in the 6th gen forums, I would assume he has a 6th gen.
Old 03-06-19, 07:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

In order to properly interpret what Lexus says about fuel grade requirements for a particular vehicle, you need to pay careful attention to what words Lexus is using with regard to fuel grade.

EPA regulations require that manufacturers "recommend" the same fuel grade that was used for testing for emissions, horsepower, and fuel economy. For some vehicles, Lexus has says that 91 octane is "required". That means that there is the potential for performance issues if fuel with lower than 91 octane is used. For other vehicles, Lexus has said the 91 octane fuel is "recommended", but they go on to say that, with 87 octane fuel, the engine will perform properly . That means that the EPA testing was done with 91 octane fuel and that 87 octane fuel will allow the vehicle to perform without issues, but the emissions levels, horsepower, or fuel economy might not be as good as they would be with the use of 91 octane fuel.

I've owned 2 Lexus vehicles for which it said that 91 octane fuel was "recommended" but that 87 octane fuel was satisfactory. Both of the vehicles were never filled with anything other than 87 octane fuel, and they consistently performed without any issues. There may have been a negligible loss of horsepower that I was not likely to notice, but the fuel economy that I got consistently remained at levels that were actually a bit better than the EPA rating.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (03-07-19)
Old 03-07-19, 11:59 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Yikes! That is weird, if you leave off the lexus2 it comes up as Oracle.
Originally Posted by lesz
In order to properly interpret what Lexus says about fuel grade requirements for a particular vehicle, you need to pay careful attention to what words Lexus is using with regard to fuel grade.

EPA regulations require that manufacturers "recommend" the same fuel grade that was used for testing for emissions, horsepower, and fuel economy. For some vehicles, Lexus has says that 91 octane is "required". That means that there is the potential for performance issues if fuel with lower than 91 octane is used. For other vehicles, Lexus has said the 91 octane fuel is "recommended", but they go on to say that, with 87 octane fuel, the engine will perform properly . That means that the EPA testing was done with 91 octane fuel and that 87 octane fuel will allow the vehicle to perform without issues, but the emissions levels, horsepower, or fuel economy might not be as good as they would be with the use of 91 octane fuel.

I've owned 2 Lexus vehicles for which it said that 91 octane fuel was "recommended" but that 87 octane fuel was satisfactory. Both of the vehicles were never filled with anything other than 87 octane fuel, and they consistently performed without any issues. There may have been a negligible loss of horsepower that I was not likely to notice, but the fuel economy that I got consistently remained at levels that were actually a bit better than the EPA rating.
Thanks Jollick and Lesz!!! I totally agree with you.

Lexus is OEM of ES!!! So people need to visit Lexus website for adequate and perfect information to avoid misinterpretation or "half-baked" info.

5th Gen ES:
For ES 2007 - 2010: Premium Unleaded - Required
For 2011 - 2012: Regular Unleaded.