ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery Age

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 09:56 AM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Age

I purchased a used CPO ES350 and would like to determine the age of the battery. On the side of the battery i see code NG07NMC. Is this the date code? if so, how can i decipher it?
Old 03-06-19, 12:07 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

It should have a sticker on it somewhere showing the date of manufacture. The batteries in my car, truck and boat all have stickers on them saying when they were made.
Old 03-06-19, 05:54 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym
I purchased a used CPO ES350 and would like to determine the age of the battery. On the side of the battery i see code NG07NMC. Is this the date code? if so, how can i decipher it?
What year is the vehicle? If less than 3 years old its very likely it's the original battery
Old 03-06-19, 06:01 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

What brand of battery is it? Each manufacturer has there own date coding. If its a Panasonic its more likely to be original.
FWIW my '14 ES 350 is still on the original Panasonic battery (load tested good last November).
Old 03-12-19, 06:30 AM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 2014. The brand is Panasonic. I see a yellow sticker on the top of battery that shows 080714D. I am assuming that is the date code and the stamp on the side of the battery is not. I am assuming the battery is from 2014 .
Old 03-14-19, 10:46 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

I would say it's a factory battery. It should also say Honolulu, Hawaii, that's where the Panasonic are manufactured.

The ones that come later from the Lexus dealer have the Lexus logo on top.

Where I live in the scorching hot southwest, car batteries only go 2-3 years. Doesn't seem to matter the brand. It's not really worth it to me to be stranded and save $100 on a new battery, but depending on where it is with the factory warranty and it being a CPO, Lexus most likely will cover it if it goes bad in the near future.
Old 03-15-19, 12:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradTank

Where I live in the scorching hot southwest, car batteries only go 2-3 years. Doesn't seem to matter the brand. It's not really worth it to me to be stranded and save $100 on a new battery,
Brad, I live in Louisiana and like you, we know all about hot weather. I currently have Interstate MTP-24f batteries in both of my vehicles. The battery in my 4 runner was 4 years old last October. I feel like you do, better to replace it a bit early than get caught out at midnight with a dead battery.. so I took my 4 runner to an interstate distributor warehouse... remember at this point the battery was 4 years 3 months old.. battery tested at something over 600 amps ( think it was 625 but not positive ) and they said no need to replace it... I think if it's still good this october when it's actually 5 years old, I'll replace it anyway, rather be safe than sorry.

Old 03-20-19, 02:02 PM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

There was green oxidation on the negative battery and the acid was low. I filled the cells with distilled water and the car has been starting up fine, for the past week but I noticed yesterday the green fuzzy oxidation is back. Is this a sign of a bad battery?
Old 03-20-19, 04:50 PM
Poppa
Instructor

There was green oxidation on the negative battery and the acid was low. I filled the cells with distilled water and the car has been starting up fine, for the past week but I noticed yesterday the green fuzzy oxidation is back. Is this a sign of a bad battery?

I don't think so ( but hey, i'm no mechanic )... you can go to any auto parts store and buy a battery post cleaner, should be under 5 bucks... it's a round tool that has brushes inside.. you just put it over the terminal and turn it back and forth to clean the terminal post... or if you have a small wire brush you can do the same thing.. ( here's an old timers trick... put a little baking soda in a glass of water... it will fizz all up, slowly pour that over the battery terminal and it usually will eat the corrosion right off, then j ust rinse it off -- I've done this before years ago, but personally I would but a battery post cleaner.. once the posts are clean, you can spray the posts with battery posts protector. helps retard the growth of corrosion and you can usually but it for 5 to 10 bucks at most.... try that before you replace the battery...good luck with it.
Old 03-25-19, 07:13 AM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

I have the battery post cleaner and cleaned the posts however I replaced the battery yesterday. The battery was very weak when I tried to start the car in the morning. i turned it off then on again, and it gave the clicking sound. Since the battery is going on six years old and the heat here in Miami, FL is brutal, I decided to just replace the battery.
Old 03-25-19, 11:03 PM
Poppa
Instructor

[QUOTE I replaced the battery yesterday. The battery was very weak when I tried to start the car in the morning. i turned it off then on again, and it gave the clicking sound. Since the battery is going on six years old and the heat here in Miami, FL is brutal, I decided to just replace the battery.[/QUOTE]

Good move... if you got nearly six years out of your battery, you got your moneys worth. I know some guys say their battery lasts even longer, but for me, once a battery is a full 4 years old, especially if it's in a warm climate, it's time to start checking them. The panasonic battery that came in my ES tested low at 4 years, replaced it with an Interstate mtp-24f battery. I have the same battery in my 4 runner.. what battery did you put in this morning?
Old 04-01-19, 02:50 PM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

I visited my local autozone and picked up a Duralast gold battery.
Old 04-08-19, 07:56 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is a 2014. The brand is Panasonic. I see a yellow sticker on the top of battery that shows 080714D. I am assuming that is the date code and the stamp on the side of the battery is not. I am assuming the battery is from 2014 .
sounds like original to me
Old 04-15-19, 08:36 AM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

I believe so. That is why I decided to buy a new one.
Old 04-20-19, 04:18 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

We just bought our 2016 ES 350 three weeks ago. It has the original battery... no issues, yet. Just sold one of our other vehicles to a friend. A 2006 Volvo XC-90 2.5 T. The battery is in the rear next to the spare. I put a new battery in it in 2014 when we bought it. It still func perfectly. It replaced the OEM Volvo battery which was eight years old at that point. Fact is, batteries in the eng compartment take a beating from water, heat, cold.

Quick Reply: Battery Age