ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Commenting on suggested maintenance items for 90k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 05:41 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Commenting on suggested maintenance items for 90k miles

I couldn't service my car at the usual mechanic and took it to the usual Toyota dealer which is next to my house. They suggested to do these things for my 2013 ES350 with 90,500 miles. Can you guys comment on these items? This particular service advisor also commented on the transmission fluid which I was shocked!

1. Replace serpentine drive belt - they said they found belt "glazed"
2. Clear air induction system/throttle body - this seems like BS to me
3. Replace coolant (isn't this done at 105k on Lexus?)
4. Clearn fuel injection system (another BS item?)
5. Replace transmission fluid at 100k even though it's "lifetime" (First Toyota/Lexus service advisor who has said this since I bought the car new 6 years ago!)
Old 03-13-19, 05:48 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i am not sure if you need any of these done but 1 thing i know for sure is that this is just "by the book recommended" even down to the belt glazing
Old 03-13-19, 06:21 PM
RedRover
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much guarantee that if your Throttle Body hasn't been cleaned in 90,000 miles, it is filthy and may be affecting performance.
Old 03-14-19, 04:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

At 90,000 miles you need the brake fluid changed, oil changed and tire rotation. These done ala carte should be around $210. The air and cabin filters you can do in five minutes for both and both cost $20 each on line. The service manager's at Johnson Lexus Raleigh and Durham both told me do not change the transmission fluid. One of them has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus. He said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both factors in changing the fluid.

Last edited by Freds430; 03-14-19 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 10:05 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
At 90,000 miles you need the brake fluid changed, oil changed and tire rotation. These done ala carte should be around $210. The air and cabin filters you can do in five minutes for both and both cost $20 each on line. The service manager's at Johnson Lexus Raleigh and Durham both told me do not change the transmission fluid. One of them has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus. He said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both factors in changing the fluid.

I forgot you were in NC also. Yeah, for 90k - I only did oil change, tire rotation and brake fluid change but went to Hendrick Toyota in Apex since I am so low on time and I live right there. I do cabin and engine air filters myself. Usually, I take my car to WASP auto in Durham, who are very honest mechanics. Johnson Lexus has always told me NO to the transmission fluid change.
Old 03-14-19, 10:38 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Just go by the Lexus owners manual and ignore the guy who's paid on commission to try and upsell you on as many services as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Tootsall (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 03:15 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would replace the spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant, serpentine belt, atf if it has not been changed yet. those are fairly basic to a home mechanic. i'm pretty sure the throttle body cleaner and fuel system cleaner are bottles from the parts department that will be used for the service. the fuel system cleaner will be poured into the gas tank and the throttle body cleaner will be sprayed while car running until empty. just my assumption.
Old 03-14-19, 06:48 PM
RedRover
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bionictony
i would replace the spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant, serpentine belt, atf if it has not been changed yet. those are fairly basic to a home mechanic. i'm pretty sure the throttle body cleaner and fuel system cleaner are bottles from the parts department that will be used for the service. the fuel system cleaner will be poured into the gas tank and the throttle body cleaner will be sprayed while car running until empty. just my assumption.
Well, I hope your assumption is wrong.
If indeed that is what your dealer does, I suggest you get a new dealer.
My independent used to remove the Throttle Body to clean it and used a machine to clean the injectors. Of course he was an honest mechanic.
Here is what a typical high quality shop does.

https://tomdwyer.com/2014/uncategori...uel-injectors/

I would expect no less from a dealer shop. ESPECIALLY a Lexus Dealer!
Old 07-05-19, 02:49 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

So I took this to a very dependable Japanese mechanic and he said DO NOT clean the throttle body and that they are trying to scare me by saying the serpentine drive belt is "glazed." They say it does not need replacement. Only thing he recommended was a coolant change at 100k.
Old 07-05-19, 04:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
So I took this to a very dependable Japanese mechanic and he said DO NOT clean the throttle body and that they are trying to scare me by saying the serpentine drive belt is "glazed." They say it does not need replacement. Only thing he recommended was a coolant change at 100k.
I think that you've found the honest one here. Forget about spark plugs and the serpentine belt. If the brake fluid hasn't been changed I'd do that and the coolant too. Don't go for the tranny fluid either. Some of these service advisors would try to sell you a Thrust Capacitor (Back to the Future) if they thought you'd buy it... One of the other members here had a SA try to sell him service for his rear differential...