ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Radio Antenna.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 11:10 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Radio Antenna.

Between my 2013 and 2018 ES, I've never been able to figure out where the antenna is. Can someone post a picture, clearly showing it?

People have told me where it is, near the rear window, but I still don't see it.
Old 03-28-19, 07:07 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mosts folks call it a "shark fin" antenna (because it's sort of in the shape of a sharks fin) and it's in the middle of the roof just alongside the top of the rear window glass.
Old 03-28-19, 08:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Eolafan
Mosts folks call it a "shark fin" antenna (because it's sort of in the shape of a sharks fin) and it's in the middle of the roof just alongside the top of the rear window glass.
I could be mistaken, but I think that the shark fin antenna is the antenna used for satellite communications. I believe that the antenna used for AM and FM signals is built into the rear window glass.
Old 03-28-19, 12:53 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
I could be mistaken, but I think that the shark fin antenna is the antenna used for satellite communications. I believe that the antenna used for AM and FM signals is built into the rear window glass.
Yes, this is what everyone says. This is the antennae I'm talking about.

Is it possible to visibly see it though?
Old 03-28-19, 01:45 PM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, follow the wires. The ones in the top half of the rear window are generally the antenna, and the ones in the bottom half of the window are the defroster.
Old 03-28-19, 07:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Embedded in the rear window there are vertical wires and near the top there are horizontal wires that are closer together; these are the radio antenna. The horizontal wires that are spaced about an inch apart are the rear window defroster.
Old 03-29-19, 05:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Back a few years ago, when the antenna was either in the front windshield, or on the front quarter panel, the rear window is where they would place the diversity antenna. It's purpose was if it had a stronger signal than the main, it would take over to improve reception.

Also, I'm kind of curious what's with the OP's need to know regarding this? Trying to upgrade it?
Old 03-29-19, 07:31 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts
Default ES Rear Window Antenna

Here is a schematic of the various antenna components.
Not exactly a mast stuck to the fender anymore is it?
Attached Files
File Type: docx
2017 ES350 Radio Antenna.docx (88.7 KB, 153 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
Mike728 (03-29-19), RedRover (03-30-19)
Old 04-01-19, 03:51 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
Now I see it, you're right, it does look like a shark fin.

And I see other non-Lexus cars with it too. I guess I didn't know that antennas looked like that now.

I was still thinking about the metal antenna with a mast. And after being told the design was different now, I still couldn't figure out where exactly on cars it was anymore, even after knowing it was near the rear.

Thanks everyone.

No, wasn't thinking about upgrading it. Although, if something like that could be upgraded to something with greater signal strength, I'd consider it. But it wouldn't be a high priority among things to do.
Old 04-08-19, 03:22 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Is a mast antenna better than a shark fin antenna?
Old 04-08-19, 06:11 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Wrong question; a mast antenna would replace the antenna built into the back window glass. The shark fin antenna is for GPS and satellite radio. A mast antenna will not receive satellite signals but is for AM and FM radio only.
The following users liked this post:
nuraman00 (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19, 07:28 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Wrong question; a mast antenna would replace the antenna built into the back window glass. The shark fin antenna is for GPS and satellite radio. A mast antenna will not receive satellite signals but is for AM and FM radio only.
Then is a mast antenna better than the one built into the glass?
Old 04-08-19, 08:07 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

1) will the radio be able to pull a signal from the other antenna style? (I don’t know the answer to that...never tried to make the switch).
2) are you prepared to drill a hole in your car for a mast? (again, I don’t know what you might be willing to do)
3) can you handle running a new antenna cable from the mast location to the radio? (again, yours to deal with)
4) do you want a retracting style antenna? (a new issue...the motor to be accommodated and a power line run)

I haven’t seen nor used a mast antenna since my 1978 Volare wagon with the exception of CB antennas on trucks; but if it was me I’d never even consider it. Sign up for Sirius, use bluetooth, cds, or an iPod or any combination.
Old 04-09-19, 12:04 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts

All the disadvantages Tootsall illustrated aside, if you live/drive in a very marginal area far from terrestrial radio towers
you would get a bit better reception from an old fashioned mast type antenna. Then again you would get even better
reception of Satellite radio...with the shark fin!

Recall that FM transmissions are limited to line of sight (AM can "skip" and has much greater range particularly at night)
and the newer HD www.hdradio.com has a bit less range on the additional channels.
Old 04-09-19, 12:52 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomer
All the disadvantages Tootsall illustrated aside, if you live/drive in a very marginal area far from terrestrial radio towers
you would get a bit better reception from an old fashioned mast type antenna. Then again you would get even better
reception of Satellite radio...with the shark fin!

Recall that FM transmissions are limited to line of sight (AM can "skip" and has much greater range particularly at night)
and the newer HD www.hdradio.com has a bit less range on the additional channels.
Thanks.

There's an AM station 110 miles away that I frequently listen to.

During my commute, it gets distorted during a 1 mile stretch.

When I'm at home, I rarely get the station on my clock radio, and have to use my Tecsun PL-600. I have to go to certain areas of the house, and angle the portable radio in certain ways, to be able to hear it better.

I was trying to see if there was an easy way for me to increase the reception, for the car, at least.

Quick Reply: Radio Antenna.