ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Roof rattles when going over bumpy roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 05:56 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jmccw
I am not handy at all but replaced the seal myself last weekend and it's quiet as a tomb now. I had the same annoying rattles but honestly haven't heard anything since. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out the angle to push in on but once I got that it was about 3 minutes to completion. Huge improvement for 50 bucks!
hey, i've ordered the new seal online and will be doing this once it arrives.

could you give me some pointers?
Old 04-01-19, 06:22 AM
jmccw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
hey, i've ordered the new seal online and will be doing this once it arrives.

could you give me some pointers?
The key it to realize that the strip doesn't just rest on the edges of the glass, it has to be pushed in at a certain angle and only then will it stick/stay there. Once you find that angle and push it in with your thumb, just keep your thumb pressed down and drag it along the edge. The friction will blacken/heat up your thumb but it isn't so bad. The corners where the glass is tilted down will take some patience but the process is the same. Just be patient and you'll get it, I'm sure. Good luck!
Old 04-01-19, 04:06 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

The key it to realize that the strip doesn't just rest on the edges of the glass, it has to be pushed in at a certain angle and only then will it stick/stay there. Once you find that angle and push it in with your thumb, just keep your thumb pressed down and drag it along the edge. The friction will blacken/heat up your thumb but it isn't so bad. The corners where the glass is tilted down will take some patience but the process is the same. Just be patient and you'll get it, I'm sure. Good luck!
just received mine in the mail and installed it myself.
my gosh, it was pretty darn frustrating to install this. Definitelly could use the help of someone when doing the last corner so that the tension of the rubber doesn't make the other corners come out.
Now, i have an issue. my sunroof will not open LOL. The issue is that the new seal is thicker and some of the sides did not go in completely.

Question, did you install it by just using the "open upwards" on the sunroof? I noticed the sides around the front, the rubber is too thick to go all the way in. I'm going to give it a try on the weekend. for now at least the sunroof closes all the way. it just won't open backwards, it only opens upwards. something is getting in the way.
Old 04-02-19, 03:24 AM
jmccw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexNY
just received mine in the mail and installed it myself.
my gosh, it was pretty darn frustrating to install this. Definitelly could use the help of someone when doing the last corner so that the tension of the rubber doesn't make the other corners come out.
Now, i have an issue. my sunroof will not open LOL. The issue is that the new seal is thicker and some of the sides did not go in completely.

Question, did you install it by just using the "open upwards" on the sunroof? I noticed the sides around the front, the rubber is too thick to go all the way in. I'm going to give it a try on the weekend. for now at least the sunroof closes all the way. it just won't open backwards, it only opens upwards. something is getting in the way.
I did install it with the glass 'open upwards' and initially had the same problem with the sunroof auto-retracting when it encountered an - imperceptible to me - obstacle on its track. I can only say to keep making sure the seal is seated as best it can be all around and you're sure to get it so it will get back to normal. It appears the fault tolerance of the mechanism is pretty finely tuned so we're likely talking about the seal being a mere millimeter or so out of whack. Good luck.
Old 04-02-19, 05:50 AM
daljaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle

JMCCW -- It sounds like you installed the seal without removing the glass. Is this correct? Thanks
Old 04-02-19, 05:52 AM
jmccw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daljaz
JMCCW -- It sounds like you installed the seal without removing the glass. Is this correct? Thanks
Correct! Here is the thread I followed, in case you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-the-fix.html
Old 04-02-19, 06:26 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Correct! Here is the thread I followed, in case you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-the-fix.html
did you remove the 2 screws from the front like in the link you posted?
Maybe this is why the sides towards the front is not flush on mine. i'm gonna give it another go on the weekend.

by the way, i noticed the rattles are gone!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-19, 07:48 AM
jmccw
Driver School Candidate

I did NOT remove any screws. Here is another thread where folks had success without removing screws: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-4.html
Old 04-19-19, 04:26 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

UPDATE:

issue has been COMPLETELY solved.

to keep it simple, the solution is replacing the weatherstrip on the sunroof. MY car no longer has any random rattles. i'm a happy camper now.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexNY:
AbeFromann (05-08-19), NdYAG (04-03-23)
Old 05-08-19, 05:48 AM
rfriday
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rfriday
Mine is a 2016 w/ just over 34k miles. I'll report back if/when they find and fix the cause.
So, good news. I took the car in last week and explained the sound I was hearing. They initially tried just lubing the sunroof seal and all of the moving parts in the sunroof....no change. They then pulled the headliner and found that some bolts on the sunroof's sub-assembly were loose, allowing the assembly to shift and creak under torque. They tightened everything up and it's as quiet as a library once again. Very happy!
The following 2 users liked this post by rfriday:
AbeFromann (05-08-19), rmak (08-02-19)
Old 08-02-19, 01:59 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow, talk about timing........ I just purchased a 2016 CPO ES 350 from Jacksonville Lexus. On the way home I noticed the creaking. How I did not notice on two test drives baffles me. The noise is taking away the beauty of this car for now, but at least there is hope after reading this thread.

Thank you all for posting this issue and the follow-ups. I have an appointment already to have it verified.

BTW, my first Lexus. The service department and entire staff are such a pleasure to deal with. Very courteous and professional!
Old 08-07-19, 01:46 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

quick update:

it's been nearly 4 months since i got this fixed. Not a single rattle in the car while driving in bumpy nyc roads,

if you experience random rattles while driving, have the sunroof weatherstripping + bolts around sunroof checked.

i'm still a happy camper
The following users liked this post:
NdYAG (04-03-23)