ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Photo of CPO passed air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 08:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Default Photo of CPO passed air filter

Just bought a 2016 ES 350 with 45k miles from Lexus of El Cajon in San Diego County, CA. Here's a couple of photos of the air filter that passed their CPO checklist. I suspect he cabin filter hadn't been changed either and had a few leaves on it but being black in color wouldn't show well in a photo. Is the air filter so clogged it would affect performance? Probably not, but I expected a $26

K CPO to have a filter that looked almost new. Not worth spending three hours of my time going to the dealer and ask them for new filters. Just went Amazon shopping.
Old 05-15-19, 11:38 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

That's an indication of how "hard" the shop works to check out a "used" vehicle! I recently purchased a 2014 ES350 from a dealer. They showed me the safety and "roadworthy" checklist they have to go through and also I got a peek at the service shop "invoice" to the used car department (full brake job, oil change, etc). The car was showing 25# FL tire and 33# all the rest on my road test. I called them on it and was told that they'd top it up when they did the detailing. I went back a couple of days later with the cashier's check to complete payment and lo-and-behold the FL was showing 26#. Again reminded them that they said they would sort it out. Drove home that afternoon (tire now showing 36# same as the others). In two days the FL was at 30# and dropping. My local tire shop found a nail in it. So much for dealer service and detailing!
Old 05-15-19, 03:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by swfla
Just bought a 2016 ES 350 with 45k miles from Lexus of El Cajon in San Diego County, CA. Here's a couple of photos of the air filter that passed their CPO checklist. I suspect he cabin filter hadn't been changed either and had a few leaves on it but being black in color wouldn't show well in a photo. Is the air filter so clogged it would affect performance? Probably not, but I expected a $26

K CPO to have a filter that looked almost new. Not worth spending three hours of my time going to the dealer and ask them for new filters. Just went Amazon shopping.
Really poor, and the sad thing is that I'd bet these filters aren't the only items skipped... Although you've decided to not go back, I'd let them know and show them this photo... This is why so many members on here say that the CPO just isn't worth the money...
Old 05-15-19, 03:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Unfortunately, many are under the impression that CPO vehicles are always brought back to "almost new" condition, but that is not necessarily the case. If you look at the 161 point CPO checklist, you will find that most of the items on the checklist are things that any of us could check for ourselves in about 45 minutes. That list includes things like checking to make sure that the car starts, that the lights all work, that the doors lock, etc. Even with things that require more careful inspection, such as the brake pads and tires, the inspection will yield a passing result if as little as about 1/3 of the brake pad or tire tread wear is left. And getting a CPO vehicle does not necessarily mean that a car has not ever had any collision damage and repairs. Further, when a vehicle does require paint or body repairs, those repairs are often done in the cheapest way possible. Periodically, threads are started here on CL from people who, after buying a CPO vehicle, subsequently discovered that there were problems with poorly done body work.

Like with many other things, it is a case of buyer be ware.
Old 05-16-19, 05:56 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That dealership should be ashamed. That really shows that the extra cost for a CPO vehicle is really paying for the warranty and a lot of extra profit for the dealer.
Old 05-16-19, 07:09 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You're right it's been mentioned by members many times. Since there are always new members joining us, it's important to keep posting the good and bad, even if it means repeating! I'm the OP, I didn't mention that I also had to request the battery test be redone because it wasn't attached to the sheet as specified on the sheet "attach test strip here". Four years ago I bought a CPO LS460 in FL and the battery was dead in a week! Also the suspension components were worn to the point of clunking. I didn't notice this until I got into stop and go traffic a few days later. This is a KNOWN issue with this model and year range. I got it repaired under CPO warranty but it really should have been tested for and fixed before sale. So, for all the new members, keep posting the good and bad you find. It will help future generations. Just like the TV broadcasts hurricane, tornado and snow storm safety procedures year after year. For all the new people who may not have ever been exposed to these things before.
Old 05-17-19, 07:57 AM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a CPO LS-400 years ago. While still taking delivery, checked the trunk. No spare tire.
Response from Service Manager: "Oh."

Since the dealership was far from my home I suggested they ship the wheel and tire to me. Nope; had to go pick it up.

Live and learn.
Old 05-17-19, 10:26 AM
digitalnrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same dirty air filter when i bought my 2014 CPO last year.
Old 05-25-19, 03:10 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Really poor, and the sad thing is that I'd bet these filters aren't the only items skipped... Although you've decided to not go back, I'd let them know and show them this photo... This is why so many members on here say that the CPO just isn't worth the money...
I'm one of those that definitely belive CPO is not worth the money. Before purc our 2016 ES 350, we looked at a CPO 350 at the dealership near us. More miles, no navigation, more money with a $750 CPO conditioning fee on top of the price. Dealer would not budge on price nor the stupid fees. We walked. My daughter purchased a so-called CPO Volvo S40 from a so-called reliable Volvo dealer. The next day she drove it to our beach house. I checked under the hood. Oil was dirty and down more than a quart. Air filter was worse than the one OP showed. It might be an option for some folks. I believe it to be a scam.