ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K
Transmission Flush
21.54%
Transmission Refill
49.23%
No need to change the transmission fluid... it's "lifetime" after all.
29.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 03:51 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Hello Jack... as for what brand of oil to use, there are A LOT of great name brand oils out there.. Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple and the list goes on and on. Whatever brand you use just make sure it's Synthetic... 0w-20. Personally I use and have used for years Mobil 1 extended performance.. It's supposed to be good for 15K miles... even so, I'm OLD OLD OLD School. Even though Mobil 1 EP is rated for 15K mile oil change interval, I still change my oil and my filter every 5K miles. I know it's over kill but it gives me peace of mind. Plus now that I'm retired I probably don't put but maybe 7 or 8 thousand a year on my car so it takes me a little while to get to 5K miles.. Lexus calls for oil changes every 10K. Personally that would be the longest I would ever go between oil changes.. You're probably good to go using Mobil 1 EP every 10k miles.
Absolutely right Roland. Many good brands out there and one's choice will have no effect on the engine especially under 200,000 miles using any major brand of oil. I think we both use Mobil 1 because of the nice rebate. I buy my 5 quart jug at Walmart for $23 and process my rebate all on line and get my $12 check in about 6 weeks. Net price $11 for five quarts.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (08-07-19)
Old 07-16-19, 03:29 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Thx Poppa for the response. Actually I wrote the engine oil bit in sarcastically, since the transmission fluid topic stirs up some many opinions. : )
Poppa (08-07-19)
Old 07-17-19, 11:36 AM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My local Lexus service manager has been at the dealership since 1991. He is as straight a shooter as I have ever seen. I asked about the transmission, and he recommended not servicing it unless there was some kind of problem, or you were getting up closer to 150k-200k miles. And even then, only if it was showing signs of a problem.
The following 4 users liked this post by morgan1819:
bc6152 (07-17-19), Freds430 (07-17-19), Poppa (07-18-19), Tootsall (07-18-19)
Old 07-17-19, 07:08 PM
Hybrid8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in western Canada the 3 Lexus dealer I talked to all recommend doing a drain and fill at 100k km.Got mine done at Toyota dealer at 100k km,It’s got 18k km after drain and fill no problems. Nothing last forever. I know a IS 250 owner who’s lifetime tranny fluid failed after 300k km.The reality is most people don’t keep their car past 200k Km.
Old 07-17-19, 08:03 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybrid8
Here in western Canada the 3 Lexus dealer I talked to all recommend doing a drain and fill at 100k km.Got mine done at Toyota dealer at 100k km,It’s got 18k km after drain and fill no problems. Nothing last forever. I know a IS 250 owner who’s lifetime tranny fluid failed after 300k km.The reality is most people don’t keep their car past 200k Km.
Hi, what city and which dealers? Thx
Old 07-18-19, 05:27 PM
Hybrid8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

St1800 Check your inbox.
Old 08-01-19, 09:17 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Just joined this forum after buying a 2016 ES 350 certified with 35,000 miles. I will be doing a drain and fill soon. I have spent a lot of my career doing oil analysis and fluid analysis on aircraft and heavy machinery. I have never seen a fluid used for lubrication / pressurizing that does not break down. Heat is the number 1 killer. Many times we tested the fluid and did not recommend changing it. Without the expensive resources to test, I will just change it utilizing the drain and fill method so only a few quarts are changed. This method (supposedly) keeps from introducing all new fluid which can lead to issues on older transmissions.

With that said, I could be 100 percent wrong. I am not attempting to convince anyone to do anything different than what they are comfortable with. Whatever works for you is the best thing regardless of anyone else's opinion.

A lot of great advice on this forum, thank you!
nelsona (09-01-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:39 PM
pete2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rmak, you're 100% correct, drain and refill ONLY, no flushing. It takes 2 qts. Doing this every 50-60k miles and your tranny should last much longer. There is NO such a thing as lifetime fluid - bunch of BS.
nelsona (09-01-19)
Old 08-06-19, 11:43 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting: The AISIN company that has been making Toyota automatics for 50 years acknowledges that some car makers suggest never changing the fluid, but then goes on to suggest changing it every 2 years or 12,000 miles to maintain "improved shift feel, fuel economy and longer transmission life":

Last edited by gemigniani; 08-06-19 at 11:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gemigniani:
NA2NC (05-14-20), nelsona (09-21-19)
Old 08-06-19, 11:46 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The 6 speed transmission in the ES350 and Camry runs hotter than the old 4 and 5 speeds so the fluid turns brown sooner. A couple examples
nelsona (09-01-19)
Old 08-07-19, 05:30 AM
pete2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I've seen the same page, here is address of the Aisin pdf, please read.

http://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/pr..._CFEx_AFW+.pdf
nelsona (09-01-19)
Old 01-01-20, 07:17 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts

I'll be doing flush on my 2012 ES350 with 86K miles. Some lexus dealers will not do it, other will do it.
The ones that do not do it, will keep telling you scripted line from your owner manual "its a sealed unit blah blah..." Its totally useless conversation, I can read it in manual myself.
The ones that do it, will explain that its safe, and can not hurt anything.
If you read you manual careful, it will give hints that during towing, they do want you to change it... so its not completely black and white.

Toyota dealers will do it for your lexus (at least the ones I called). Toyota and lexus dealer prices are about the same ~$270 for a flush. The flush is not your traditional high pressure flush, my understanding they connect tube to the machine, and let transmission pump drive the fluid without additional pressure. New fluid comes in, and old one comes out. With under 100K miles, this is completely safe. I would be more concerned doing this for the first time at 200K miles.
Let it be $300 that I waste.

I know there is a lot of debate about sealed transmissions fluid change. Take a look at transmission fluid pictures that never was changed at 100K or more miles, its turning black and looks nasty
When people drop their transmissions pans, it has a lot of metal shavings..

People will say that they know someone with 200K miles and fluid was never changed, I know some of those people too.
I do not see any harm in doing at least one transmission flush before 100K miles if you want to keep your car to 200K+. I think of it as an insurance policy.

Last edited by tolian21; 01-01-20 at 07:29 AM.
Cocal (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20, 07:22 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pete2006

This is excellent. People keep saying "toyota engineers are smart, and they said do not change it blah blah..."
However, transmission is NOT designed by toyota, it might be designed FOR Toyota by Aisin. And AISIN itself is calling BS on "sealed for life".

I have a feeling that Lexus dealers that do not do it, are simply going by the book. Its easier for them this way. Any problem with transmission, they will say "we just did what the book said, not our fault". I can see that this makes things easier for them,

Last edited by tolian21; 01-01-20 at 07:35 AM.
st1800 (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20, 10:10 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
I'll be doing flush on my 2012 ES350 with 86K miles. Some lexus dealers will not do it, other will do it.
The ones that do not do it, will keep telling you scripted line from your owner manual "its a sealed unit blah blah..." Its totally useless conversation, I can read it in manual myself.
The ones that do it, will explain that its safe, and can not hurt anything.
If you read you manual careful, it will give hints that during towing, they do want you to change it... so its not completely black and white.

Toyota dealers will do it for your lexus (at least the ones I called). Toyota and lexus dealer prices are about the same ~$270 for a flush. The flush is not your traditional high pressure flush, my understanding they connect tube to the machine, and let transmission pump drive the fluid without additional pressure. New fluid comes in, and old one comes out. With under 100K miles, this is completely safe. I would be more concerned doing this for the first time at 200K miles.
Let it be $300 that I waste.

I know there is a lot of debate about sealed transmissions fluid change. Take a look at transmission fluid pictures that never was changed at 100K or more miles, its turning black and looks nasty
When people drop their transmissions pans, it has a lot of metal shavings..

People will say that they know someone with 200K miles and fluid was never changed, I know some of those people too.
I do not see any harm in doing at least one transmission flush before 100K miles if you want to keep your car to 200K+. I think of it as an insurance policy.
Remember that the ES350 has a paper filter element that should also be changed. It will take a pan drop to do it. Other Toyota's have a metal screen that will not reduce flow when dirty, but the ES350 and Avalon should have the filter changed eventually. I changed mine during a drain and fill. Also cleaned the pan and magnets. Shifts are better and trans temps are cooler (scangauge II installed).
Old 01-01-20, 10:34 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
This is excellent. People keep saying "toyota engineers are smart, and they said do not change it blah blah..."
However, transmission is NOT designed by toyota, it might be designed FOR Toyota by Aisin. And AISIN itself is calling BS on "sealed for life".
I have a feeling that Lexus dealers that do not do it, are simply going by the book. Its easier for them this way. Any problem with transmission, they will say "we just did what the book said, not our fault". I can see that this makes things easier for them,
Originally Posted by pete2006 View Post

Some dealers do not have the machine to do the exchange nor the tech proficient in its use!
It's interesting that on that link at he bottom of the page on the right with an ATF machine picture it says....Aisin recommends the use of ATF exchange machines.

Quick Reply: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles