ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K
Transmission Flush
21.54%
Transmission Refill
49.23%
No need to change the transmission fluid... it's "lifetime" after all.
29.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-20, 11:12 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Originally Posted by pete2006 View Post
Yep, I've seen the same page, here is address of the Aisin pdf, please read.
http://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/pr..._CFEx_AFW+.pdf

Some dealers do not have the machine to do the exchange nor the tech proficient in its use!
It's interesting that on that link at he bottom of the page on the right with an ATF machine picture it says....Aisin recommends the use of ATF exchange machines.

I found one lexus dealer that will do the ATF exchange, along with number of Toyota dealers. I also had a lot more intelligent conversation about the procedure and need to do ATF drain/flush with this dealer. They explained how they do it, and that it’s safe. The lexus dealer that does NOT do ATF flushes sounded like a broken record quoting the manual without any explanation, which just lowered his credibility for me.

people don’t realize, but so called owner manual, also never mentions that you need to change your power steering fluid, but everyone knows that if you plan to keep your car to 200k miles, it would be wise to replace power steering fluid every 60-70k miles. I even had this recommended by the dealer that does not do ATF flushes. Are they using owner manual whenever it suits them? Maybe they don’t own transmission flush machine (which is expensive), and all of a sudden they like what the manual says.... I don’t know, we can only guess what are the reasons for dealers to reject ATF exchange. Some are just ignorant and playing safe, you can always cover you *** by saying “look, it’s in the book!!”

but the facts are pretty simple, fluid gets nasty with time and miles, and you have metal shavings in the pan. Look at the pictures of oil pan with nasty fluid and metal dust that never was changed at 150k miles. All these things are not good for your tranny and odds of it going bad will go up as you are in 200k mile club. If you plan to keep your car till 200k miles, one time flush sounds like a good investment to me.
Go on YouTube, watch videos of mechanics about sealed transmissions, see what they say if you are not convinced. And please, stop bringing up toyota engineers know best, turns out it’s not even transmission that toyota makes.

Last edited by tolian21; 01-01-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-01-20, 11:27 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
people don’t realize, but so called owner manual, also never mentions that you need to change your power steering fluid, but everyone knows that if you plan to keep your car to 200k miles, it would be wise to replace power steering fluid every 60-70k miles. I even had this recommended by the dealer that does not do ATF flushes.

Interesting...the manual for my car says that it has electric power steering so....no fluid! Hard to believe that the dealer would recommend changing something that’s not there!

Last edited by Tootsall; 01-01-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-01-20, 11:40 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

This is excellent. People keep saying "toyota engineers are smart, and they said do not change it blah blah..."
However, transmission is NOT designed by toyota, it might be designed FOR Toyota by Aisin. And AISIN itself is calling BS on "sealed for life".

I have a feeling that Lexus dealers that do not do it, are simply going by the book. Its easier for them this way. Any problem with transmission, they will say "we just did what the book said, not our fault". I can see that this makes things easier for them,
I found one lexus dealer that will do the ATF exchange, along with number of Toyota dealers. I also had a lot more intelligent conversation about the procedure and need to do ATF drain/flush with this dealer. They explained how they do it, and that it’s safe. The lexus dealer that does NOT do ATF flushes sounded like a broken record quoting the manual without any explanation, which just lowered his credibility for me.

people don’t realize, but so called owner manual, also never mentions that you need to change your power steering fluid, but everyone knows that if you plan to keep your car to 200k miles, it would be wise to replace power steering fluid every 60-70k miles. I even had this recommended by the dealer that does not do ATF flushes. Are they using owner manual whenever it suits them? Maybe they don’t own transmission flush machine (which is expensive), and all of a sudden they like what the manual says.... I don’t know, we can only guess what are the reasons for dealers to reject ATF exchange. Some are just ignorant and playing safe, you can always cover you *** by saying “look, it’s in the book!!”
but the facts are pretty simple, fluid gets nasty with time and miles, and you have metal shavings in the pan. Look at the pictures of oil pan with nasty fluid and metal dust that never was changed at 150k miles. All these things are not good for your tranny and odds of it going bad will go up as you are in 200k mile club. If you plan to keep your car till 200k miles, one time flush sounds like a good investment to me.
Go on YouTube, watch videos of mechanics about sealed transmissions, see what they say if you are not convinced. And please, stop bringing up toyota engineers know best, turns out it’s not even transmission that toyota makes.
Next time your Lexus dealer mentions a power steering fluid change remind him that these cars today have electric steering
Also people forget the the owner's manual is a compromise and written mainly by marketing people. If one wants to get close to real maintenance schedule one must read the Severe Maintenance one, but the problem is that manufacturers know that the average original owner will not keep a vehicle beyond 5 years and if leased 3 yrs on average so all theycare about is the warranty period. Once out of warranty you're SOL, so let common sense and some knowledge be your guide.
Old 01-01-20, 12:04 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Interesting...the manual for my car says that it has electric power steering so....no fluid! Hard to believe that the dealer would recommend changing something that’s not there!
sorry, this is for 2012 ES350, it does have power steering fluid which gets dark with time, but manual never tells you to change it. Same kind of nonsense “lifetime”
I was making a point that not everything in your owner manual is accurate. Its not a bible.

Last edited by tolian21; 01-01-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 12:55 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nelsona
Hello Everyone,

My 2016 ES 350 is currently at 57,250 miles,...

Any thoughts, as I'm extremely leery about performing a flush?

As for my vehicle, I haven't noticed any transmission issues. I'm merely performing the service as preventative maintenance.

Thank you,
Nelson
Its almost as you feel that the dirty oil in there is somehow going to prevent you from having a transmission problem, however I think your reasoning is backwards - its the bad oil that will cause wear on your transmission.

Not only do I think you should do a flush (since you will be doing it at a real Toyota or Lexus dealer; I wouldn't trust that to too many places, the equipment used is very specific), I would do a flush with a better ATF such as Amsoil Signature synthetic. My car shifts much better with it and I trust it much more than Toyota brand oil which I hear is *not* synthetic.

If you will drain the pan only (I think thats only about 1/3 of the oil in the transmission system) then you should do that every 30k miles which will be more costly if someone else is doing it.

Again I would not trust the flush to just anybody, you need special equipment and knowledge.

Old 01-01-20, 01:03 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

If one wants to get close to real maintenance schedule one must read the Severe Maintenance ..
I think the best advice is right from the mouth of a senior Toyota mechanic.

I spoke to one that owns a Highlander. He said he flushes the transmission oil on his own car every 60k miles.

I would also drop the pan and change the paper filter and clean the magnets of metallic debris every 110-140k miles (just my guess). I heard a guy did it at 100k miles and he had lots of debris on the magnets.
Old 01-01-20, 01:23 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pete2006 View Post
...Some dealers do not have the machine to do the exchange nor the tech proficient in its use!
.....Aisin recommends the use of ATF exchange machines.
This is an interesting point. Even a Toyota or Lexus technician may not have the proficiency or equipment to do a proper flush; in which case it is safer to do a drain and fill since prob more techs know how to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20, 01:39 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by norakat
This is an interesting point. Even a Toyota or Lexus technician may not have the proficiency or equipment to do a proper flush; in which case it is safer to do a drain and fill since prob more techs know how to do that.
One must always ascertain that qualified technicians handle all tasks.
This is why it is so important to do a dealer assessment study to the best of one's abilities.
Old 01-01-20, 02:13 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Servicing sealed transmission is not a simple task and must be done properly, or damage can be done.
Overfilling/underfilling or fluid contamination can happen.
I would only use Toyota ATF WS fluid.

unless you know someone, I would only take it to lexus/toyota dealer.
Old 01-01-20, 11:03 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i used to get my tranmission fluid services every 50-60k well i feel it was stupid to do so because by 150k i started having some issues by 190k transmission had to be repalced
i say flush it only if somehting is wrong with it and you are trying to see if you can revive a dying dog. otherwise don't mess with it.

Now im not sure how this goes for the ES300h Model someone once on here i think said it only holds a few qrts and it's simple and easy to drain a few quarts and fill the fluid with the exact same amount but not to even think about it until 150k i think i dont remember
Old 01-02-20, 03:54 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i used to get my tranmission fluid services every 50-60k well i feel it was stupid to do so because by 150k i started having some issues by 190k transmission had to be repalced
i say flush it only if somehting is wrong with it and you are trying to see if you can revive a dying dog. otherwise don't mess with it.

Now im not sure how this goes for the ES300h Model someone once on here i think said it only holds a few qrts and it's simple and easy to drain a few quarts and fill the fluid with the exact same amount but not to even think about it until 150k i think i dont remember
is this anecdotal evidence that shows not to ever change your fluid?

Is it possible the failure had nothing to do with transmission fluid change?

if you wait to change your transmission fluid when it’s been there for too long, that’s when you are asking for trouble.
Old 01-02-20, 03:57 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

I did it twice, at 60K and 110K miles.
Both oils were burned.
The following users liked this post:
Chrlttmega (08-04-21)
Old 01-02-20, 04:03 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Was it done at a Lexus dealer?

It prob was done wrong.
Old 01-02-20, 04:59 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by norakat
Was it done at a Lexus dealer?

It prob was done wrong.
or it was Early 2007 es350 transmission that had issues.
Old 01-02-20, 07:32 AM
Cocal
Racer

This comment means NOTHING unless it is also said:
Who/where it was flushed
Method of flushing
What fluid was used
The experience of the technician

To make such a broad statement doesn't help w/o details.

Quick Reply: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles