ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Warning in Reverse Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 11:30 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warning in Reverse Not Working

One of the features we have enjoyed the most on our 2014 ES350 was the warnings when shifting into reverse of autos and pedestrians moving into the area. My wife has been complaining that several times she has noticed a pedestrian close to the back of the car and the warning has not sounded. This morning she was driving, shifted into reverse and started backing out. I noticed in the display that someone was 5 or 6 feet from the rear bumper and no warning. Does this indicate a problem with the sensors or some other issue? With the head protectors and various pillars around I have come to rely on the warning system and this gives me pause.
Old 07-21-19, 12:31 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by kxaz145
One of the features we have enjoyed the most on our 2014 ES350 was the warnings when shifting into reverse of autos and pedestrians moving into the area. My wife has been complaining that several times she has noticed a pedestrian close to the back of the car and the warning has not sounded. This morning she was driving, shifted into reverse and started backing out. I noticed in the display that someone was 5 or 6 feet from the rear bumper and no warning. Does this indicate a problem with the sensors or some other issue? With the head protectors and various pillars around I have come to rely on the warning system and this gives me pause.
This is an important issue and it has saved me on more than one occasion from the morons who walk behind your car when backing out. Or when another vehicle is approaching.
My best guess would be that the sensors are not working as they should. I would do a test by putting the car in reverse, holding it stopped, and walking behind it.
Old 07-21-19, 02:31 PM
Vsingh93
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed most of the sensor/back up camera, etc. Features take a long time to boot up when it's extra hot outside. Try giving it a moment and then try.
Old 07-21-19, 02:32 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kxaz145
Just to be sure, have you checked that the BSM is turned on? The Blind Spot Monitor System with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert can be turned off with the push of a button—a benefit for certain driving conditions or when the vehicle is towing a trailer.

All you have to do to turn on Blind Spot Monitor is push the BSM button that is located right under the outside mirror controls or your left knee if you’re sitting inside the Lexus ES.

Blind Spot Monitor in the Lexus ES.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 07-21-19, 04:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jollick
Just to be sure, have you checked that the BSM is turned on? The Blind Spot Monitor System with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert can be turned off with the push of a button—a benefit for certain driving conditions or when the vehicle is towing a trailer.

All you have to do to turn on Blind Spot Monitor is push the BSM button that is located right under the outside mirror controls or your left knee if you’re sitting inside the Lexus ES.

Blind Spot Monitor in the Lexus ES.
Good call Jollick. I didn't think of that...
jollick (07-22-19)
Old 07-22-19, 08:24 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts

Be aware that we are discussing two different systems with two entirely different technologies.

1) The Park Assist is a proximity warning that uses the dime sized sensors on the bumpers.
When an object large or small is within the > 5 foot range it chimes and continues to chime until
you and the object separate. Check to attached Owner's Manual chart for the ranges.

2) The Blind Spot Monitor only works at speeds above 15 MPH going forward but the sensors
mounted under the rear bumper end cap covers will detect the motion of large objects passing by
when you are in reverse at any speed. The difference is that if the passing large object stops
moving the alert chime stops. As others have mentioned, be sure you have not inadvertently
tapped off these systems while intending to open the trunk or gas door.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
2014 ES350 Park Assist.docx (75.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-22-19, 08:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Mine (in my GS and my Highlander) has always been inconsistent in detecting pedestrians. I assume it has to do with their physical size and perhaps what they are wearing. I assume it's the same for the ES, but my GS manual makes it clear it is only for detection of vehicles and may not detect pedestrians. I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the OP's.

Since it is radar based, it needs to "bounce back" the signal. It's unlikely to bounce back unless they are very reflective () or perhaps pushing a shopping cart.

From my GS manual:

The Rear Cross Traffic Alert functions when your vehicle is in reverse. It can detect other vehicles approaching from the right or left rear of the vehicle. It uses radar sensors to alert the driver of the other vehicle’s existence through flashing the outside rear view mirror indicators and sounding a buzzer.
The Rear Cross Traffic Alert function is not designed to detect the following types of
vehicles and/or objects.
● Small motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, etc.*
● Vehicles approaching from directly behind
● Guardrails, walls, signs, parked vehicles and similar stationary objects*
● Vehicles moving away from your vehicle
● Vehicles approaching from the parking spaces next to your vehicle*
● Vehicles backing up in the parking space next to your vehicle*
*: Depending on conditions, detection of a vehicle and/or object may occur.
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 07-22-19, 10:45 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. Another good reason to always wear a tin hat while out and about.....
JDR76 (07-22-19)
Old 07-22-19, 03:34 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The Blind spot monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert operate together as part of the same system. The Blind spot monitor does start working at 15 mph, but the Rear Cross Traffic Alert works at low or even no speed whenever the transmission is in reverse. I presume, if the Blind spot monitor is manually turned off, it also turns off the Rear Cross Traffic Alert.but I never tried that.

The Park Assist is a separate system as mcomer previously pointed out.
Lexus376 (04-24-20)