ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2018 ES350 13k miles CPO - $31.5, good price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 02:42 PM
anh2lua
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 ES350 13k miles CPO - $31.5, good price?

Hi all,
I've been searching for a 13+ LS 460, but couldn't find anything (in my area) with less than 40k miles for less than $30k.
So, I spotted a CPO 2018 Lexus ES 350 with 13k miles. It's a one owner. Dealership asked for $33k - I offered $30k cash, but they countered offer at $31.5. I increased to 30500, but they won't go any lower than $31.5 + DMV fees.
This car also has the PREMIER PACKAGE.

Is this a good deal?
Any common issues I should watch for? (I know it's CPO so the warranty will be extended for up to 6 years, unlimited miles)

PS: I was also considering the 2020 camry SE, 4cylinders but it's like $27k. Why not spend a few thousands more and get this ES350, right?

Last edited by anh2lua; 10-21-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 03:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

If you looked around some more you can probably find a similar vehicle for about $28k. When a dealer sells a car with a CPO certification they add about $3k... The car you're considering has at least 2-3 years of factory warranty left so why pay an extra $3k for the extended warranty they're offering... Buy a non-CPO car and save the money. And this car isn't even a Luxury or Ultra Luxury edition. I'd keep on looking if I were you... As far as issues go, I don't think that there are any chronic issues to report. Remember, all cars need maintenance and all cars break.
Lexus has one of the best quality and owner satisfaction records out there... GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide.
Old 10-22-19, 02:28 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

$31.5K is not bad for this low mileage CPO. Similar cars with similar milegae / package are asking for $35.9K around here. But do keep in mind that I am in the SF bay area and price seems to be a little higher here.

BTW, I personally would take a used ES350 over a new Camry SE/XLE 4 cylinder any day of the week. I may consider the new Camry V6 with 305HP, but to me the '16-18 ES350's 268HP 2GR-FE enginer with the 6-speed does the job well enough. We are talking about a front-wheel drive car here, nothing sporty about it. It gets you front point A to B with comfort/quietness.

PS. you may want to look into 2016 and 2017 CPO ES350 with less than 30K miles as well, base on my knowledge they are no much change between 16 to 18 models. You may be able to save a couple of grand. 30K miles on this engine are barely broken in. My buddy just bought a 15 ES350 CPO with ~28K miles and it sounds/rides just like my 17 with 15K miles.

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
17 ES350 (mine)
Old 10-22-19, 03:01 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I was in the exact same position. After driving the Camry and the Lexus I ended up with a 2016 ES350 CPO with 35k miles for the same price as the 19 Camry SE.

Although the Camry was brand new, the CPO Lexus gave me 36 months unlimited mile warrantee (1 yr remaining and 2 CPO).

I did not like the new 8 speed in the camry mated to the 2.5, seemed to hunt gears a lot. Had more wind noise and a lot less options.

For the same money, close to the same warrantee, even with 36k the Lexus is twice the car and will age a lot better. The V-6 with 6 speed vs. the 4 cyl with the 8 speed is no match. Also, the 4 cylinder makes way too much noise for me. The Lexus V-6 is very quiet compared.

Also drove the V-6 Camry. Very smooth and fast but more money. Gear hunting also bothered me with the 8 speed as well.

Good Luck.
Old 10-22-19, 03:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

One point to be aware of when considering the purchase of any CPO vehicle is that the car may have been in an accident and repaired, had previous mechanical issues, etc.
The dealer has no responsibility to inform you of these issues. There are previous posts on this forum where buyers discovered accident repairs after the sale that were done incorrectly and the car was sold as a CPO... And, as previously mentioned, you pay a premium for the CPO designation...
Old 10-22-19, 04:18 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
One point to be aware of when considering the purchase of any CPO vehicle is that the car may have been in an accident and repaired, had previous mechanical issues, etc.
The dealer has no responsibility to inform you of these issues. There are previous posts on this forum where buyers discovered accident repairs after the sale that were done incorrectly and the car was sold as a CPO... And, as previously mentioned, you pay a premium for the CPO designation...
I guess that's the risk when buying any used/cpo cars. If I was in the same position, I would ask the dealer to let me take it to another place for a pre-purchase inspection at my cost, shouldn't cost more than a couple of Benjamins.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 06:43 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

If this is the one in Portland some issues from Lexus owners site. These are all cosmetic but certainly examine very carefully that each was done satisfactorily. Nothing mechanically and all maintenance done. Oil was changed at 7,000 and 12,000 miles. All these were completed in August of 2019.

SERVICE: PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR ~ ~PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR ~ ~ ~ ~12702 400 PERFORMED USED CAR DETAIL AS REQUESTED.

SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR.
DESCRIPTION: SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR. ~ ~SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR., REPAIR BOTH RIGHT SIDE WHEELS DUE TO CURB DAMAGE ~ ~SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR

VINYL LEATHER REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: VINYL LEATHER REPAIR ~ ~VINYL LEATHER REPAIR, REPAIR FRONT SEATS, REPAIR ALL FOUR DOOR PANELS, REPAIR DASHBOARD, REPAIR B & C PILLARS, REPAIR CENTER CONSOLE. ~

SUBLET GLASS
DESCRIPTION: SUBLET GLASS ~ ~SUBLET TO SUPER GLASS TO REPAIR WIPER ARCH IN WINDSHIELD ~
Old 10-22-19, 08:29 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
If this is the one in Portland some issues from Lexus owners site. These are all cosmetic but certainly examine very carefully that each was done satisfactorily. Nothing mechanically and all maintenance done. Oil was changed at 7,000 and 12,000 miles. All these were completed in August of 2019.

SERVICE: PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR ~ ~PERFORM USED CAR DETAIL, INCLUDING LIGHT CHIP AND SCRATCH REPAIR ~ ~ ~ ~12702 400 PERFORMED USED CAR DETAIL AS REQUESTED.

SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR.
DESCRIPTION: SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR. ~ ~SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR.PER PRE-OWNED MGR., REPAIR BOTH RIGHT SIDE WHEELS DUE TO CURB DAMAGE ~ ~SUBLET TO WHEELKRAFT FOR REPAIR

VINYL LEATHER REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: VINYL LEATHER REPAIR ~ ~VINYL LEATHER REPAIR, REPAIR FRONT SEATS, REPAIR ALL FOUR DOOR PANELS, REPAIR DASHBOARD, REPAIR B & C PILLARS, REPAIR CENTER CONSOLE. ~

SUBLET GLASS
DESCRIPTION: SUBLET GLASS ~ ~SUBLET TO SUPER GLASS TO REPAIR WIPER ARCH IN WINDSHIELD ~
Doesn’t look like anything major. Chip/scratch, wheel curb rash repair and among other stuff. Typical used car pre-showroom refresh.
Old 10-23-19, 08:48 PM
Dampfwalze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These are quality engines/cars, so honestly if they've done the regular maintenance and oil changes, betting on the use of the warranty is almost like betting on the lottery. If it was the LS, I could understand there's some expensive not engine issues from time to time. If you really like the 2018, you might get 2016 or 2017 off lease still for about $22-24k 2016 I know for sure few months ago, now 2020s are out 17 should be coming down too. Plus, you l don't eat as much of the depreciation,

I've driven a 2014 ES and the new Camry 2019 quite a bit. I have to disagree on the gear hunting. I prefer the 8 speed unless someone pokey has been driving it, then it has to relearn your style, but it's very smooth after that. The 6 speed doesn't want to shift fast enough and getting on the highway it downshifts when really shouldn't compared to their older models - I believe a 5 speed to 3L v6 and I6 that I also own, so the 4 cylinder feels faster to me with the 8 speed, but i still prefer a 6 cylinder most of the time which is now over 300hp by 2019 and 2014 is 268hp I believe.

The biggest issue for me is the seat. If you plan on taking long trips in it often. The seat in the 2019 Camry is not quite as plush, so I thought but it's significantly better ergonomically and I don't have severe pain like I get in the 2014 ES which I believe is same as 2018. If you can look at a 2019 I might recommend that as I imagine the seat is improved like the Camry and Avalon, improved suspension too. If you're 6'1"for reference. Or the 2019+ Avalon probably also has the improved seat and might be the same price as the 2018 ES.
Old 04-20-20, 03:38 PM
Deevel79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dampfwalze
These are quality engines/cars, so honestly if they've done the regular maintenance and oil changes, betting on the use of the warranty is almost like betting on the lottery. If it was the LS, I could understand there's some expensive not engine issues from time to time. If you really like the 2018, you might get 2016 or 2017 off lease still for about $22-24k 2016 I know for sure few months ago, now 2020s are out 17 should be coming down too. Plus, you l don't eat as much of the depreciation,

I've driven a 2014 ES and the new Camry 2019 quite a bit. I have to disagree on the gear hunting. I prefer the 8 speed unless someone pokey has been driving it, then it has to relearn your style, but it's very smooth after that. The 6 speed doesn't want to shift fast enough and getting on the highway it downshifts when really shouldn't compared to their older models - I believe a 5 speed to 3L v6 and I6 that I also own, so the 4 cylinder feels faster to me with the 8 speed, but i still prefer a 6 cylinder most of the time which is now over 300hp by 2019 and 2014 is 268hp I believe.

The biggest issue for me is the seat. If you plan on taking long trips in it often. The seat in the 2019 Camry is not quite as plush, so I thought but it's significantly better ergonomically and I don't have severe pain like I get in the 2014 ES which I believe is same as 2018. If you can look at a 2019 I might recommend that as I imagine the seat is improved like the Camry and Avalon, improved suspension too. If you're 6'1"for reference. Or the 2019+ Avalon probably also has the improved seat and might be the same price as the 2018 ES.
many complaints on the new Camry’s 8-speed auto. Very laggy and the engine is quite loud and unrefined.
Old 04-20-20, 08:22 PM
KuroYuki
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
This is TRUE. After I purchased a 2017 ES350 then few days I discovered a tiny Paint Tape on Front bumper inner corner of Fog light and noticed the paint job isn't done and the Bumper is Obviously not original....Black Color... I thought CPO means they checked everything but obviously NOT!

Feel like spent extra 1500$~2000$ for CPO as NOTHING. SAD
Old 04-20-20, 09:05 PM
Lexmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard not to get excited about a nice vehicle. Given that this is a Lexus, and only 2 years old, I think its a safe bet to forego the CPO warranty. Tell them you'll buy it for $28k without the CPO warranty, pending an independent inspection. If you are spending that much, and are serious about the vehicle, the $150 or so for the pre-purchase inspection by a third party is worth it for the peace of mind. Plus, you'll save and assuming you trust the inspector, you'll have much more confidence about your choice. And if they find anything, use it to negotiate below the $28k. But, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. My advice.
Old 04-21-20, 09:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmart
It's hard not to get excited about a nice vehicle. Given that this is a Lexus, and only 2 years old, I think its a safe bet to forego the CPO warranty. Tell them you'll buy it for $28k without the CPO warranty, pending an independent inspection. If you are spending that much, and are serious about the vehicle, the $150 or so for the pre-purchase inspection by a third party is worth it for the peace of mind. Plus, you'll save and assuming you trust the inspector, you'll have much more confidence about your choice. And if they find anything, use it to negotiate below the $28k. But, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. My advice.
I agree to ditch the CPO designation and negotiate to a lower price. I would not buy a CPO vehicle but would have it independently checked by a trusted mechanic...
Good advice from Lexmart
Old 04-21-20, 12:13 PM
tstewart77
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a decent deal to me. I bought a 2016 ES350 Luxury edition CPO last October for 29k. It came with every option except remote trunk and ML stereo. I opted to add a $2k 2 year extended warranty because there were only 6 months left on factory warranty. And I had ext warranty pay for itself with one repair on my last car. Oh, and I paid for the tire and wheel service too after being told I could use it for road rash repair (ie cosmetic repairs). That I haven’t done, but it paid for one pothole wrecked tire so far!

Originally Posted by anh2lua
Hi all,
I've been searching for a 13+ LS 460, but couldn't find anything (in my area) with less than 40k miles for less than $30k.
So, I spotted a CPO 2018 Lexus ES 350 with 13k miles. It's a one owner. Dealership asked for $33k - I offered $30k cash, but they countered offer at $31.5. I increased to 30500, but they won't go any lower than $31.5 + DMV fees.
This car also has the PREMIER PACKAGE.

Is this a good deal?
Any common issues I should watch for? (I know it's CPO so the warranty will be extended for up to 6 years, unlimited miles)

PS: I was also considering the 2020 camry SE, 4cylinders but it's like $27k. Why not spend a few thousands more and get this ES350, right?